Changes to the moderator system.

2»

Comments

• UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    Cortana said:

This is off-topic, but it needs to be said in regards to some comments above.

Can we have a civilized thread for once without having the exact same people turn it into an argument and hatred train? You support public shaming? Well, we don't and we won't allow that. I also don't find that medieval joke funny. I'm getting sick of seeing the same people gang up, hint at and attempt to humiliate the same person over and over again. Yes, he did something wrong in the past, he accepts it and understands it clearly. Why do you think you can mistreat somebody for what they did in the past? Some people do change, believe it or not, some only get worse. If a person can accept their wrongs, then why can't you do the same? That doesn't make them be any less of a human and doesn't mean that you're free to attack them in front of everyone whenever you get the chance. Treat others the way you want to be treated yourself or simply ignore people you dislike. I'm done with my rant.

Thank you, someone really needed to say that. This was suppose to be a serious thread. Can we get it back on topic?
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    This is a lot trickier than you guys think and maybe the mods don't have enough power right now, but they use to be able to ban people arbitrarily and that resulted in many accusations of mod abuse of power etc.. which is why we switched to a more standardised system that insures players at least get warnings before they are banned.

But leaving all that aside... I know if you're the victim of a scam then it's completely and perfectly clear to you what happened. But, suppose for instance you give someone permission and they abuse that trust and steal your Krampus mask. So now you write to support and say.. so and so stole my Krampus mask! Ban them forever!

So then we go to that player and they say.. What? What is he talking about? I didn't steal the mask! We're friends on steam and I gave him a game there and he said I could have it as a thank you.

So now.. do we ban him forever? What would you do? How can we know? Is he telling the truth? Is the 1st player? Are they working together to try and get a free mask from support?

Sometimes we can see what happens, but not all the time. The amount of time required for a full investigation, if it's even possible to know the truth of what happened, of every possible scam is significant. And that's what you'd really need if you're going to permanently ban a player. Everything has a cost. Support is generally not free to provide. And while our staff are investigating they're not recovering lost passwords, or fixing technical problems etc... And you have to wait longer to get a reply. These are some of the reasons why players are the ones mainly responsible for their items.
  • edited April 2017
    My comment is not relevant, I apologize.
    edited April 2017

This is a lot trickier than you guys think and maybe the mods don't have enough power right now, but they use to be able to ban people arbitrarily and that resulted in many accusations of mod abuse of power etc.. which is why we switched to a more standardised system that insures players at least get warnings before they are banned.

But leaving all that aside... I know if you're the victim of a scam then it's completely and perfectly clear to you what happened. But, suppose for instance you give someone permission and they abuse that trust and steal your Krampus mask. So now you write to support and say.. so and so stole my Krampus mask! Ban them forever!

So then we go to that player and they say.. What? What is he talking about? I didn't steal the mask! We're friends on steam and I gave him a game there and he said I could have it as a thank you.

So now.. do we ban him forever? What would you do? How can we know? Is he telling the truth? Is the 1st player? Are they working together to try and get a free mask from support?

Sometimes we can see what happens, but not all the time. The amount of time required for a full investigation, if it's even possible to know the truth of what happened, of every possible scam is significant. And that's what you'd really need if you're going to permanently ban a player. Everything has a cost. Support is generally not free to provide. And while our staff are investigating they're not recovering lost passwords, or fixing technical problems etc... And you have to wait longer to get a reply. These are some of the reasons why players are the ones mainly responsible for their items.

@SirKewberth

Situations like that can be tough, but players can already do that now with the current moderator system. Making the moderator system more strict won't help with scams like that or make them worse, but will help stop rental scams, impossible parkous, and scams along those lines since most scammers are the same people over, and over again, even after they have been banned 5 or more times. Making the moderator system more strict towards scams won't affect support much at all in my opinion since moderators will be the ones mainly using it to ban scammers who do impossible parkours, drops games, etc. Support most likely already comes across cases like you said and with a more strict moderator system these cases could still be handled in the same way.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Nerve said:

@SirKewberth

Situations like that can be tough, but players can already do that now with the current moderator system. Making the moderator system more strict won't help with scams like that or make them worse, but will help stop rental scams, impossible parkous, and scams along those lines since most scammers are the same people over, and over again, even after they have been banned 5 or more times. Making the moderator system more strict towards scams won't affect support much at all in my opinion since moderators will be the ones mainly using it to ban scammers who do impossible parkours, drops games, etc. Support most likely already comes across cases like you said and with a more strict moderator system these cases could still be handled in the same way.

Well I will say that I have been giving thought to making the mods more powerful again and being a little stricter. Maybe there is a right balance and maybe we're on the too forgiving side of it right now. But there are a number of changes we need to implement first.
  • Thank you Kewberth for reading this thread, even though it may not seem like it I can say many of us understand your situation with trying to find balance. Even if it seems we are holding pitchforks and torches lol.
  • I think the most important thing to stop scamming is stop making it lucrative. If someone scams. Their stolen items or the gained cubits should be taken away and maybe even more. This way they will truly regret their scam actions.

and maybe makea black list for scammers.
    maybe a Cubic Blacklist Centre in another overworld other than Eden. Showing all the people that have scammed in a certain time period.

and make a Cubic Trusted Centre for players who are trusted and play this game honestly.

That would be so cool imo.
    These countermeasures are not very harsh, but I think they will be very effective.
    epieownz said:

I think the most important thing to stop scamming is stop making it lucrative. If someone scams. Their stolen items or the gained cubits should be taken away and maybe even more. This way they will truly regret their scam actions.

maybe a Cubic Blacklist Centre in another overworld other than Eden. Showing all the people that have scammed in a certain time period.

and make a Cubic Trusted Centre for players who are trusted and play this game honestly.

These countermeasures are not very harsh, but I think they will be very effective.

The cubic black list would be considered public shaming which I'm pretty sure the Dev's are avoiding. By perms-banning scammers they lose their items anyways, and a list of trusted players would become players saying "Why am I not on the list?"

• Lucas The SpiderLucas The Spider U.K, England Member
    Nerve said:

epieownz said:

I think the most important thing to stop scamming is stop making it lucrative. If someone scams. Their stolen items or the gained cubits should be taken away and maybe even more. This way they will truly regret their scam actions.

The cubic black list would be considered public shaming which I'm pretty sure the Dev's are avoiding. By perms-banning scammers they lose their items anyways, and a list of trusted players would become players saying "Why am I not on the list?"

They aren't exactly avoiding public shaming tho, they change everyone's picture to a banned picture on here and throw everyone in a one, official, realm where everyone knows they go. They're far from avoiding public shaming. They themselves do it
  • Mcwolf the SaneMcwolf the Sane BangladeshMember
    Off topic
    I can see the forums slowly turning into cancer thanks to a few people who take the game way more seriously than is healthy

Nerve said:

epieownz said:

They aren't exactly avoiding public shaming tho, they change everyone's picture to a banned picture on here and throw everyone in a one, official, realm where everyone knows they go. They're far from avoiding public shaming. They themselves do it
    I guess :P never thought about that way.