Regarding the Valentine Contest - Questions for folks in Charge?

I had a few questions about the Valentines Build Contest
1. How come piggys weren't put out this time to return the cost of the room n bumpers? In prior contests the entry fee was returned after, especially in consideration of qbees who might have had a hard time coming up with the cubits.
2. Will the builds all be put into a hallway or some common area so that the community can visit all of the builds? Is that even possible when a contest is ran with personal rooms?
Thank you for the response!

Comments

• WhimsicalFireflyWhimsicalFirefly Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    The previous contests were small rental plots in an official contest realm. They had a 1k entry fee to reduce the number of people claiming plots and not building. After the event was over, the entry fee was returned, it was like a deposit. A lot of people were asking for a contest where you could do a whole room so they had more space to create. Since this one was done in rooms bought by the players. The cubits are not refunded because they keep the room and everything in it. There was no entry fee on it to be refunded.

I put warps to the five winners in my shop. I will keep them stocked at least through the weekend so people can see the winning builds. There were over 75 entries and most were done in rooms so I'm not sure if there is any way to show all of them. If anyone that entered wishes to show off their build, I'll set up some extra prize machines along the front wall in my shop. Just drop warps to your Valentines build on my donation table right inside the entrance and I'll load them into a machine. I will not make additional warps so if you drop 20 then 20 people will see your room. I have limited space and can't buy a ton of prize machines but I'll do my best to get as many out there as I can.

I hope that answers your questions. :)
  • Maybe held the old one with the new one , i guess the old one gets more entries than new one .
    I don't think it would be possible to do both at the same time. It would take days for the judges to see everything and even harder to pick winners. Plus you couldn't judge small plots against entire rooms, it wouldn't be fair. Since people teamed up I'd say we still got about the same number of people participating. A lot of those 75+ rooms had 2-4 builders.
  • Yeh but i do think commom player really couldn't pay more than 1k for joining and so i do think we have HIGHER chance to win
  • Held them both is good idea , not everyone can build large ;)
    (if possible)
    (if possible)

and not everyone can build small.
    I think this contest was actually better than the normal building contest because you can show off more of your building skills.
    Both types of building contests are good but holding them both at the same time is not a good idea. It would be very hard and time consuming for the judges. They have a life too y'know.
    (if possible)

and not everyone can build small.
    I think this contest was actually better than the normal building contest because you can show off more of your building skills.
    Both types of building contests are good but holding them both at the same time is not a good idea. It would be very hard and time consuming for the judges. They have a life too y'know.
    So that's why a bracket is there
  • space_fetusspace_fetus Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    We won't hold both types of contest at the same time. This doesn't mean that the old type of contest won't return but i think we will be doing a mixture of the two. The new type of contest allows for much more expression and pushes the community spirit. I love hanging out with other people while building and i think this new contest reflects that community aspect perfectly.

As whimsy previously stated the cost of a rental spot in the old contest was really only to deter people from buying plots and not bothering to build, that's why it used to cost 5k before i took over. It was to ensure that only people who didn't really wanted to build wouldn't bother to buy plots. I felt that was too much and reduced it to 1k.
    So when you take a team building contest into consideration each player is still only spending 1k or less, if you choose to build with a smaller team well then that's your choice to spend more to enter.
    The players are keeping the rooms and all materials, you haven't really lost any cubits only invested them. As any builder knows rooms and materials will be reused to build a different project you choose to do at a later time, or the build will be kept to show off in your lobbies or how ever else you choose.

In terms of improving this contest i'm sure there is plenty of ways to do so, however i felt with the constraints of the current game mechanics this was the best way. I had considered providing all the rooms and bumpers for players so it would only cost materials. However this is not a practical solution. I did this before previously on a community build project event, meeting up with nearly 100 players to try and give them the room to build in is never going to happen in such a short time frame as i struggled to give out the 40 odd rooms for the community event over a month period.
    If a rental of that scale could work i could have potentially set the rooms up as rentals but again you can't co-op build on a rental and it would be too laggy.

The one downside to this contest is displaying all the rooms for players to see, even with warp foods (which a lot of rooms covered the bumper making it impossible to get more) people will eventually remove bumpers and re use the rooms. So it cannot be archived like the previous contests.
    That being said overall i think this event was successful, we had just as many builds as we would do on the tiny plot contests, the quality of builds was higher because of the extra space and loads of people came together to help each other and have fun. Which is what the game is all about.
  • We won't hold both types of contest at the same time. This doesn't mean that the old type of contest won't return but i think we will be doing a mixture of the two. The new type of contest allows for much more expression and pushes the community spirit. I love hanging out with other people while building and i think this new contest reflects that community aspect perfectly.

As whimsy previously stated the cost of a rental spot in the old contest was really only to deter people from buying plots and not bothering to build, that's why it used to cost 5k before i took over. It was to ensure that only people who didn't really wanted to build wouldn't bother to buy plots. I felt that was too much and reduced it to 1k.
    So when you take a team building contest into consideration each player is still only spending 1k or less, if you choose to build with a smaller team well then that's your choice to spend more to enter.
    The players are keeping the rooms and all materials, you haven't really lost any cubits only invested them. As any builder knows rooms and materials will be reused to build a different project you choose to do at a later time, or the build will be kept to show off in your lobbies or how ever else you choose.

In terms of improving this contest i'm sure there is plenty of ways to do so, however i felt with the constraints of the current game mechanics this was the best way. I had considered providing all the rooms and bumpers for players so it would only cost materials. However this is not a practical solution. I did this before previously on a community build project event, meeting up with nearly 100 players to try and give them the room to build in is never going to happen in such a short time frame as i struggled to give out the 40 odd rooms for the community event over a month period.
    If a rental of that scale could work i could have potentially set the rooms up as rentals but again you can't co-op build on a rental and it would be too laggy.

The one downside to this contest is displaying all the rooms for players to see, even with warp foods (which a lot of rooms covered the bumper making it impossible to get more) people will eventually remove bumpers and re use the rooms. So it cannot be archived like the previous contests.
    That being said overall i think this event was successful, we had just as many builds as we would do on the tiny plot contests, the quality of builds was higher because of the extra space and loads of people came together to help each other and have fun. Which is what the game is all about.

Thanks for the interpretation , i'm afraid if people use their entries room to join yearly best realm contest , that's a problem .

We won't hold both types of contest at the same time. This doesn't mean that the old type of contest won't return but i think we will be doing a mixture of the two. The new type of contest allows for much more expression and pushes the community spirit. I love hanging out with other people while building and i think this new contest reflects that community aspect perfectly.

Thanks for the interpretation , i'm afraid if people use their entries room to join yearly best realm contest , that's a problem .
    Why would that be a problem?
  • We won't hold both types of contest at the same time. This doesn't mean that the old type of contest won't return but i think we will be doing a mixture of the two. The new type of contest allows for much more expression and pushes the community spirit. I love hanging out with other people while building and i think this new contest reflects that community aspect perfectly.

Use the same entry to join another contest . Like oh i win 500k on Valentine contest and yeh it's built on 2020 so i can enter it to 2020 best realm contest , then i could win another prize with the same entry .

Use the same entry to join another contest . Like oh i win 500k on Valentine contest and yeh it's built on 2020 so i can enter it to 2020 best realm contest , then i could win another prize with the same entry .
    How is that any different than them doing it for any other build contest?
    Still not sure why that is an issue. Look at any competition or contest anywhere else in the world. Where would we be if you could only win once for a poem you wrote, a painting, a song, a movie, a book, etc. I can't think of anything where they limit it to where you can only win one contest or award for a piece of work. When you consider that the event you are talking about is the "Best of", why wouldn't you include the builds that were some of the best in the game?

<.<
  • HONEY BOMBHONEY BOMB Member
    edited February 2020

Still not sure why that is an issue. Look at any competition or contest anywhere else in the world. Where would we be if you could only win once for a poem you wrote, a painting, a song, a movie, a book, etc. I can't think of anything where they limit it to where you can only win one contest or award for a piece of work. When you consider that the event you are talking about is the "Best of", why wouldn't you include the builds that were some of the best in the game?

Then we could happen to see most of the entries for yearly best realm contest are from seasonal contests if it's allowed .I don't feel it's good to see the same realm/room winning on multiple events and winning multiple prizes from more than one contest .I'd rather if we submit the entry to any seasonal contest , it couldn't join best realm one .And i do think it's more easier to judge if separate the seasonal contest's entry and the one for best realm contest . Last thing , the entry for seasonal contest is count as entry , to build for a contest . But best realm contest is to show your build and going to win an award . The differece from the seasonal one is , you can builder whatever you want and it's for award not for prize .Still , you can allow it nevertheless , it's your choice and this is just my opinion .

<.<</p>
    exactly
  • If they are allowed to enter best realm contest with the seasonal contest's entry , that's mean they need to judge again seasonal's entry and mix with the one which couldn't enter seasonal contest , quite complicating .
  • *MaryMoon**MaryMoon* Member
    edited March 2020
    I must say I am a bit confused by part of the response. I was able to collect my items in other build events... And said builds are still on display without me losing cubits or items. I'm not personally concerned with getting back my cubits, but for some folks this was expensive, and I fail to see why it would be difficult to refund at least the cost of room and bumper to participants. There is even a thread from Sir.Kew stating help w funding of such events.
    As far as displaying the rooms go can we get a realm such a Yakroo suggested? At this point I would be willing to personally fund the cost of said realm to display the builds. There must be a way to use links or bring in the actual door?
    Thanks for the response and considerations.
    These builds are great for the community, and i'd just like to see it done with pride.
    My final answers on the matter can be found in the other thread on this subject.
    The valentine's realm has been opened up with warps for the builds that havnt removed the bumpers
This discussion has been closed.