Is it Cheating to Let an AI Color Your Art?

smuressmures Member
edited January 2017 in Art
Okay I'm really excited about this lemme just tell you now. I was scrolling through my notifications in DeviantART, and I found this really cool journal entry and I wanna know your opinion on it!
http://robotcatart.deviantart.com/journal/Is-it-CHEATING-to-let-an-AI-color-your-art-660045105
I hope you read the entry I linked above xD

So if you haven't here's a summary of it:
This week, some dude created and released this site that takes your lineart and colors it in for you. It uses a watercolor, pastel palette. You can easily specify what colors you want for different parts of your drawing. It's kinda like using the fill tool with a base color but it colors it in as if you painted with watercolors or something like that. They will possibly release other painting styles in the future too. Many people have tried it out and it came with great results (check out that link cuz it shows examples) and someone did this really cool animation too.

I've tried it out like just before creating this thread and it's pretty cool if you know what you're doing. Like even though mine came out horrible because I was just messing around, it was still pretty amazing that there was a program to actually do stuff for you.

My opinion on it is really in-between. I wouldn't consider it cheating but I wouldn't say it's something you should use. Most artists styles are based on not only the drawing but the way the paint it. So using that tool means that hundreds of artists could have the same painting style because of it.
But at the same time you can have all these artists that stick to pencil/pen only see their artwork colorized for the first time, and can use that tool to have their artwork painted in for them because they don't do color. Other people who want to make more art but want to spend less time on coloring can use this tool if they do quick colored sketches.
It's a matter of how you use it really.
But it you go ahead using it, then publish it out saying that YOU colored the work, it's cheating. Well not exactly cheating but something like stealing art and saying that it's yours.

So what are your thoughts on it? Comment belowwww!

Comments

• scorto7scorto7 BelgiumRetired Moderator
    I have read it as well earlier today.

I wouldn't consider it cheating either... depending how you use it.
    "if someone straight up says they colored it, but used the tool 100%, then I'd consider that cheating"
    On the other hand if you are honest about using this tool, then why not.
    I too always try to reveal what tools and tricks i use to make a piece of art.
  • Scorto7 said:

I have read it as well earlier today.

I wouldn't consider it cheating either... depending how you use it.
    "if someone straight up says they colored it, but used the tool 100%, then I'd consider that cheating"
    On the other hand if you are honest about using this tool, then why not.
    I too always try to reveal what tools and tricks i use to make a piece of art.

Yep! I personally wouldn't use it to publish artwork but it would be fun to play around with it /o/