^Bio^^Bio^ Member
edited September 2017 in Off-Topic

Please close this discussion.

CLOSED PROJECT

Dont question the spoiler.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Thank you for all who gave me advice.
NOTE I dont have the biggest potato to make it a good res i dont know.

Comments

• Are you designing a game, in CC or real life ? Also, nice logo :)
  • Are you designing a game, in CC or real life ? Also, nice logo :)

sir lumi is asking for people with coding skills, so its probally outside cubic castles...
  • What game , and by "hiring", do you mean paying 9-9
  • ^Bio^^Bio^ Member
    edited August 2017
    I dont pay, its my first game. i need coders. if you have discord thats good too

edit: i dont have coding skills really, why i hire people for it. I got art design done but its fine if you apply for textures too.
  • What sort of game will it be? Online? Multiplayer? Arcade?
  • ^Bio^^Bio^ Member
    edited August 2017
    ubic castles like but with elextricity
    MMO

What sort of game will it be? Online? Multiplayer? Arcade?

• ubic castles like but with elextricity
    MMO

Well remember you need to fund an MMO
  • ubic castles like but with elextricity
    MMO

do you realize you are stealling cubic castles audience '-'
  • Also it may be easier if you use an engine like unity or unreal engine 4 I could help if you decide to use those :)
    Unity uses minimal coding smoother game
    Unreal uses no coding great graphics

Also I suggest starting off making a few smaller games and get used to making games as if you start off with a game with hundreds of entities you will be in over your head
  • ^Bio^^Bio^ Member
    edited August 2017
    im not trying to steal cc as of. i just like to be inspired, Piritax10.
    Piratax10 said:

MMO

• im not trying to steal cc as of. i just like to be inspired, Piritax10.

Piratax10 said:

MMO

Thanks game doesn't even exist yet , how could it steal audience .
  • that makes sense
  • Piratax10Piratax10 Member
    edited August 2017

Piratax10 said:

MMO

ya called me "piritax10"?????? xD

btw, yes you can inspire in cc, but the way you said it was more like copying (no offense)

"cubic castles but with electricity"
  • Piratax10 said:

Piratax10 said:

MMO

btw, yes you can inspire in cc, but the way you said it was more like copying (no offense)

Minecraft started by being a copy of another game, then grew into something totally diffrent .

might be the same for this one .
  • Piratax10 said:

Piratax10 said:

MMO

I mean yeah it looks cheesy but i mean im a first for this so *shrugs*

• What language?

Also maybe start with something smaller until you grasp the language, you might get overwhelmed and think it's too hard.

If you wanna see a small game that I never finished go here and click clone or download and download as zip.
  • 'Sir.Fox''Sir.Fox' Member
    edited August 2017
    'Sir.Fox' said:

Also
    Also I suggest starting off making a few smaller games and get used to making games as if you start off with a game with hundreds of entities you will be in over your head

Pimydd said:

Also maybe start with something smaller until you grasp the language, you might get overwhelmed and think it's too hard.

• MarieAraMarieAra MexicoMember
    Can't really say you're hiring people if you're not gonna be paying them though...
  • eagence said:

When I read this for some reason I kinda started laughing...

Boy, let me help you a little bit since I once tried something similar.
    I just wanted to warn you before you start anything.
    Unless you have a coder background with a really strong knowledge over many areas and over some coding languages (not just one), its really hard to a high scale grapically dressed mltiplayer game...

If you wanna do a sandbox game you need to realize that you have to know at least some of these and expect some, but I mean, I tell these to just help you not to scare you or make you lose your interest. I just don't want you to lose all your time and get dissapointed at the end due to too much work...

A game like minecraft, cubic castles, roblox etc probably use some of these:

- C, C++, Java, Python or Ruby as well as Net programing and SQL for multiplayer,

I am not even counting servers and ISP deals... And also "money" to keep these things on standing. Even a simple block takes around 20 lines code, with texture 30-40, add rendering, light, textures (UV-mapping), graphical improvements etc, it goes over 200 lines minimum. This is for just a simple block with basic textures, dynamic mobs, AI's, interactables, maps and player to object or player interractions can take many many lines and files... They generally even implement 3D CAD files to not code all 3D images and done by engines instead of hard coding unless required. BUT AT SOME POINT ITS ALWAYS REQUIRED... and even after these your game will not even be equal to that old school windows screensaver with wall maze. But its about time you spend on and your knowledge and about how well you may copycat.
    - OpenGL and GLUT, LWGL, JOGL and Java3D or something similar
    You need to know these based on language you work with its like branches of languages, they have specific codes and ways of working, help you to add 3d graphics in a rendering window, generally mosy work with OpenGL but I my experience is not too much to say that.
    - A suitable compiler and renderer preferably a 3D engine (Unity, Blender, OGRE 3D etc, there are way too many)
    You may also make your own basic one after 3 or 4 weeks if you prefer, still standarts better for standar usage but yours may require none standart things later on)
    - Preferably some opensource codes for sandbox designs you may like and try,
    Github and Stack Overload and Comunities for Python or Ruby may help your design alot, but you can't make them write all of the work for sure. There is also misleading information, but by checking those even a noob may code 5 or 10 lines. Still generally not work exact.
    - Maybe batch programming or VB for windows, Or Shift /Objective-C for mac/apple if you need but for windows C++ and Java or Python or Ruby may simply work your job.
    - Time like months, many many months, hard work, coffee and something you may punch but can't break...
    - Some graphic design for texture, preferably photoshop / illustrator / lightroom / sai etc
    - Some 3d design programs m.voxel, CAD software or any arcitctural or engineering software for CAD which you may use for modelling.
    - Code optimizational programing and that "n" thingy programmers use to refer speed of algorithms. After some time rendering will overload your data transfer leading to lag in your game due to heavy code.
    - Many other things like testers, a protocol/sequence for testing your code. Trial/Beta users/tester etc.

But of course its all about the size of your game and how deep you wanna stuck in this sandpit... Still if you say that you want to, I may provide some help for code review and textures when I have time if I want to... I may also design some textures / UV maps / 3d model for cubits if you need or may do testing/review... But not hardcoding, no way, no one may make me do that, its a nightmare.
    @.@ One of my dreams is now gone by reading this
  • kurt... said:

eagence said:

Unless you have a coder background with a really strong knowledge over many areas and over some coding languages (not just one), its really hard to a high scale grapically dressed mltiplayer game...

If you wanna do a sandbox game you need to realize that you have to know at least some of these and expect some, but I mean, I tell these to just help you not to scare you or make you lose your interest. I just don't want you to lose all your time and get dissapointed at the end due to too much work...

- C, C++, Java, Python or Ruby as well as Net programing and SQL for multiplayer,

I am not even counting servers and ISP deals... And also "money" to keep these things on standing. Even a simple block takes around 20 lines code, with texture 30-40, add rendering, light, textures (UV-mapping), graphical improvements etc, it goes over 200 lines minimum. This is for just a simple block with basic textures, dynamic mobs, AI's, interactables, maps and player to object or player interractions can take many many lines and files... They generally even implement 3D CAD files to not code all 3D images and done by engines instead of hard coding unless required. BUT AT SOME POINT ITS ALWAYS REQUIRED... and even after these your game will not even be equal to that old school windows screensaver with wall maze. But its about time you spend on and your knowledge and about how well you may copycat.
    You need to know these based on language you work with its like branches of languages, they have specific codes and ways of working, help you to add 3d graphics in a rendering window, generally mosy work with OpenGL but I my experience is not too much to say that.
    - A suitable compiler and renderer preferably a 3D engine (Unity, Blender, OGRE 3D etc, there are way too many)
    You may also make your own basic one after 3 or 4 weeks if you prefer, still standarts better for standar usage but yours may require none standart things later on)
    Github and Stack Overload and Comunities for Python or Ruby may help your design alot, but you can't make them write all of the work for sure. There is also misleading information, but by checking those even a noob may code 5 or 10 lines. Still generally not work exact.
    - Maybe batch programming or VB for windows, Or Shift /Objective-C for mac/apple if you need but for windows C++ and Java or Python or Ruby may simply work your job.
    - Time like months, many many months, hard work, coffee and something you may punch but can't break...
    - Some graphic design for texture, preferably photoshop / illustrator / lightroom / sai etc
    - Some 3d design programs m.voxel, CAD software or any arcitctural or engineering software for CAD which you may use for modelling.
    - Code optimizational programing and that "n" thingy programmers use to refer speed of algorithms. After some time rendering will overload your data transfer leading to lag in your game due to heavy code.
    - Many other things like testers, a protocol/sequence for testing your code. Trial/Beta users/tester etc.

But of course its all about the size of your game and how deep you wanna stuck in this sandpit... Still if you say that you want to, I may provide some help for code review and textures when I have time if I want to... I may also design some textures / UV maps / 3d model for cubits if you need or may do testing/review... But not hardcoding, no way, no one may make me do that, its a nightmare.
    same @.@
  • AJ BaRyza said:

kurt... said:

eagence said:

same @.@
    you can still find a way to create smaller indy games and put them on gamejolt .

We cant become bill gates at first try.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    For a first game if you aren't already a coder, I recommend making something smaller using a game-making tool. There are several good ones available on Steam. An MMO style game is generally going to be to big an undertaking for a first game. And I'm not just saying that to ward off the competition ;-)
  • For a first game if you aren't already a coder, I recommend making something smaller using a game-making tool. There are several good ones available on Steam. An MMO style game is generally going to be to big an undertaking for a first game. And I'm not just saying that to ward off the competition ;-)

not "just" saying

means you are also trying to ward off the competition 9~9
  • LightosphereLightosphere Member
    edited August 2017
    kurt... said:

AJ BaRyza said:

same @.@

XD don't give up before you try, it sounds very hard for the first time, but after you learn lot things about it, you might get used to it, all you need to do just patience, concentration and spirit to do it, so why don't you start to learn some programing language to make something small other than game now?

And also @AJ BaRyza .. I just know that you can give up before you try, then what about those games which you usually tell to us about your effort to get them done how hard they are?

Back to topic...
    Anyway if you have great ability in art, try to use game maker or game making apps, some might require a bit code, but some others don't require code at all.
  • SidddSiddd UKMember, Game Moderator
    edited August 2017
    I just recently starting using 'game maker studio 2' on steam, it's got it's own language but I think it's a good starting point (all languages have many similarities) but oh boy does trying to get your head around some of the code hurt your brain, (curse you lengthdir) or maybe that's just me. If you go through everything thoroughly, making sure you understand something fully before moving on, then I find it's easier, but by no means an easy task. All developers are wizards to me.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Game maker is one of the ones I was thinking of. Good choice. Any game will be difficult without SOME code but I've seen a lot of self taught artist coders make really incredible things.
  • Don't make an mmo is the first rule of gaming making... no one told me :P.
    This might be a good watch:

that's a cute little starting guide.
  • ^Bio^^Bio^ Member
    edited August 2017

For a first game if you aren't already a coder, I recommend making something smaller using a game-making tool. There are several good ones available on Steam. An MMO style game is generally going to be to big an undertaking for a first game. And I'm not just saying that to ward off the competition ;-)

Thank you SirKew for that advice,
    (edit: what ones are free and what ones would be pricy but still good.)
  • eagence said:

But there is also varieties of same langs, similarities like C, C++ or C#
    or like in JS, Java and JQuery. There is also something called object orientedness but you may learn those as you read about it later on :)

JQuery is a javascript library not it's own language.

also i probably wont continue that minigame, although i might if i see enough interest in it.

Thank you SirKew for that advice,
    (edit: what ones are free and what ones would be pricy but still good.)
    Well... It kind of depends on a number of things. Game Maker Studio I've seen used to produce good work that's been released. It's not expensive for pc/desktop but it gets expensive if you want to support mobile and web etc... Clickteam fusion may be worth a look.

Most of the other solutions that developers use like Unity etc... are fairly heavy on the coding side. (Godot is another option)

This discussion has been closed.