We are discussing the new sponsored events for some reason

Comments

• Angel said:

Cortana and Horus weren't good if you look deep inside, there you can find the abuse you're talking about :)

Btw isn't it a mod ability to be able to get through hate and negative comments? We're not hating Space, just pointing out what's wrong and what could be nice to get into; at least, in my case.

“We’re not hating space” but yet there was a whole post that said #replacespace..I’m pretty sure that’s hate xD there is a certain extent to taking a bunch of negativity for being a mod..bullying should not be allowed for anyone..

at least, in my case.

Ofc bullying isn't allowed ^^ However I didn't see any "Space should be fired" or "get him away".. As far as I've seen (I might have missed some posts ofc), there isn't any that violent posts leading to pure hat at space.

And yes, yes, we're never happy :D
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    I can tell you if you had a whole thread dedicated to how terrible a job you were doing you wouldn't exactly be feeling the community love.

When adding new mods I didn't say to them hey congratulations you have this wonderful opportunity. I basically warned them that they would get a lot of negativity and are they sure they still wanted to do it? It's really not that great a job being the cubic police.
  • SuperxtremeSuperxtreme The NetherlandsGame Moderator

You could always listen to your current Mods suggestions for the next mods. #GracefulThunder & #WhimsicalFireFly, two who I know have been suggested and would be amazing mods.

I agree with both. 2 dedicated and active players who love to help other players...

• I can tell you if you had a whole thread dedicated to how terrible a job you were doing you wouldn't exactly be feeling the community love.

When adding new mods I didn't say to them hey congratulations you have this wonderful opportunity. I basically warned them that they would get a lot of negativity and are they sure they still wanted to do it? It's really not that great a job being the cubic police.

Then those that are qualified, and would be considered "good" at it, should take a stab at it. We are looking at the past, instead of the future. Perhaps the previous moderators were just tired. We can't just NOT replace them!
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    edited December 2018

In the past one major complaint was mods suggesting their friends and people they knew for other mods. People generally were active when they were selected to mod, but over time they play less. Also becoming a mod drives the mod away from the game.

Look at the hate space got in this thread after becoming an official event creator. He volunteered to do it because he loved it and it was fun. At the start people seemed pretty happy about it. And I played many of the events. I thought they were excellent. Maybe some of the recent events weren't as high standard as others in the past, but overall I do think the abuse is undeserved. I'd would maybe ponder and think ok.. maybe Space wasn't the right choice? but it's exactly the same kinds of complaints Cortana and Horus got before. Now people are saying how good they were. I hope it's just negative loud minority but it can still taint your view of the game community.

People want to be mods because they think it's cool to have in-game status and they think they can help and they like the game, but as soon as they become the ones enforcing the rules the hate brigade starts. It's can be a thankless job and it really changes your relationship with the game.

I want to mention that half of us where stating that the events wheren’t that great because Space receives no help. We are still stating that space needs help so they can be better. I get that Space was receiving hate from some, but I think most of them changed their minds after hearing our the others. I guarantee if Space had help, the events would be 5x better. We would still be discussing how Space needs more help, if a new topic that is A LOT more concerning to us wasn’t brought up by you.

If I remember correctly, Cortana and Horus only did building competitions every few months. Space has the weight of doing puzzles, parkours, building contests, and more weekly. ALONE. I’m still happy for the decision of Space, but we can’t be acting like this one guy has super powers to continue doing these alone. Remember: There are people willing to help for free.

Note: I think I only saw ONE person say how good Cortana and Horus was. They where terrible, and there was two of them (Good people, just terrible at events).
    Angel said:

Cortana and Horus weren't good if you look deep inside, there you can find the abuse you're talking about :)

Btw isn't it a mod ability to be able to get through hate and negative comments? We're not hating Space, just pointing out what's wrong and what could be nice to get into; at least, in my case.

“We’re not hating space” but yet there was a whole post that said #replacespace..I’m pretty sure that’s hate xD there is a certain extent to taking a bunch of negativity for being a mod..bullying should not be allowed for anyone..
    I understand that some people hated on space, and are still hating on him. The whole point I originally made this thread was to address that there was another side to the hate against space. Nobody would comment that other side on the wall, so I made this thread. We believed that the whole reason events wheren’t the best product, was because space isn’t allowed help. But, then Kewberth commented and the main thread went out the window.
    Pixie said:

At this point I understand why Kew has not added any new mods to the game with soo many entitled players who are never happy it's hard to want to put anyone though the abuse that mods deal with... I don't know space well but I'm sure all he wanted was to make the game little more fun for everyone! I can understand wanting new things in the game but to complain about something that wasn't causing in harm is just stupid and will get you nowhere...

I agree with space wanting to just make the game better. I also understand why Kewberth hasn’t added any new Moderators. But, somebody needs to keep in mind that if no Moderators are added anytime soon, the game will be an anarchy. Meaning just a bunch of adults who mess around because there’s nobody to stop them. Sure, not everybody is going to be happy with every moderator that is added. But, they will have to get over it unless they want the game to have no Moderators.

I can tell you if you had a whole thread dedicated to how terrible a job you were doing you wouldn't exactly be feeling the community love.

Keep in mind - I created this thread stating both sides in the original post. On the wall, nobody was defending him, so I created this thread for BOTH sides to state what they had to say. I’m sure it helps as you scroll through the thread and see people saying you need at least a little help when it comes to events.
    Angel said:

It seems like towards the end, no one is satisfied or happy. Ya can’t win or please people because there will ALWAYS be complaints..Personally, I love that space is putting his time and effort into doing these events for everyone because there is a lot of people that actually look forward to participating in these events. And if players are complaining about how bad his events are, they shouldn’t be participating in the first place. Space does these events because it makes it more fun for players that get bored. In my opinion, this whole thing with bullying space is a bunch of nonsense and is rediculous. It’s funny how when you’re a mod, you get so much hate, but when a mod decides to be inactive, it’s a whole bunch of “omg I miss the old days, we miss this certain mod or I wish this mod would come back..” in the end, people are just two faced and aren’t happy about anything no matter what it is..there will always be negative nancies.

Of course, not everybody is going to be happy in the end. But, if there ends up being no Moderators nobody will ever be happy.
  •   Angel  Angel Leedle LandGame Moderator

I can say the community has gotten worse from what I’ve seen from 2014-2018. And yeah you are right, it’s not that great to be the cubic police lol.
    Angel said:

I can say the community has gotten worse from what I’ve seen from 2014-2018. And yeah you are right, it’s not that great to be the cubic police lol.
    It’s definitely not great to be the Cubic Police. That’s why people have the option to step down if they can’t handle it, or don’t want to do it anymore.
  • PixiePixie Pixie HollowMember
    To me it looks like space puts a lot of work into the contest builds things like that take time and as for ploits being closer togather that's probably to allow for more players to join in.
  • Angel said:

Well then why would someone become a moderator? If doing the right thing and helping people out was not SOMEWHAT enjoyable, why would one do it? Moderation is a big job, yes. But it shouldn't be looked at as negative. I don't think people do it for the tag, they do it for the job itself, which includes the "stress".
    U said:

Angel said:

It’s definitely not great to be the Cubic Police. That’s why people have the option to step down if they can’t handle it, or don’t want to do it anymore.
    Im considering it because the things I’m going through right now irl is more important. And when I get on the game, all I want to do is spend time with my friends and be stress free.
    Angel said:

U said:

Angel said:

Im considering it because the things I’m going through right now irl is more important. And when I get on the game, all I want to do is spend time with my friends and be stress free.
    You shouldnt be putting the stress on yourself. People should come to this game to have fun. They shouldn’t have to be worrying about moderating unless they enjoy it.
  • Stop the tea, be the tea, drink the tea, chill.
  • Angel said:

U said:

Angel said:

Okay, that changes things :)
    Do what you can, and if life brings you lemons, squeeze them into your eyes-- oh wait, wrong one. Work with what you have (patience, hope, etc), and if you run out, take a break.
  • lucaaa795lucaaa795 Potatoe's worldMember
    Pixie said:

To me it looks like space puts a lot of work into the contest builds things like that take time and as for ploits being closer togather that's probably to allow for more players to join in.

This winter's building contest was poorly designed and rushed. Everyone with a little bit of thinking agreed on that.
    He basically did a realm in what 10 hours (I'm being generous right there) and then he passed it to the developers to copy-paste it 5 times.
    There's no need for overcrowding with plots in one realm. Remember: developers can multiply a realm as many times as it's needed.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Space didn't have as much time this month to work on events for various reasons. It's not that he just decided to phone it in. He did the best he could with the time he had. And again, the events are free.. It's not like we charge people to join them.

Angel said:

Well then why would someone become a moderator? If doing the right thing and helping people out was not SOMEWHAT enjoyable, why would one do it? Moderation is a big job, yes. But it shouldn't be looked at as negative. I don't think people do it for the tag, they do it for the job itself, which includes the "stress".
    Don’t get me wrong, it was enjoyable because you get to see how happy some players got when you are able to help them. There is only so much a mod can do though and for me, I started to feel worthless..For instance, when dealing with accounts especially I can only tell them to send a support ticket to the admins because mods cannot do much about accounts. Then they come and find you and say well what you said was not helpful because they have not responded for x amount of days or weeks.. All we can do is enforce the rules with mutes and bans and not a lot of players get that. So of course over time I’ve felt useless due to people saying “well why are you a mod then if you cannot help?” We try our best and it’s never enough.
  • lucaaa795 said:

Pixie said:

This winter's building contest was poorly designed and rushed. Everyone with a little bit of thinking agreed on that.
    He basically did a realm in what 10 hours (I'm being generous right there) and then he passed it to the developers to copy-paste it 5 times.
    There's no need for overcrowding with plots in one realm. Remember: developers can multiply a realm as many times as it's needed.
    10HRS??? That litterally could have taken me an hour TOPS.

Space didn't have as much time this month to work on events for various reasons. It's not that he just decided to phone it in. He did the best he could with the time he had. And again, the events are free.. It's not like we charge people to join them.

You charge every player that is willing to enter a building contest 2 US Dollars. That's how much a 1000cubits pack costs in the cubit store.
  • and not to mention take that 2 dollars when they dont build.
    lucaaa795 said:

You charge every player that is willing to enter a building contest 2 US Dollars. That's how much a 1000cubits pack costs in the cubit store.
    The whole point with charging was to deter people who weren't serious about an entry from stealing all available plots. But I thought we were returning the entry fee cubits after the contest is over. If we're not doing that then we need to go back to that system. I don't really want to charge, I just don't want a ton of empty build plots taking up all the room in the contest realms.
  • CD87CD87 Member
    edited December 2018
    I think you're forgetting something crucial, so I just want to state it as my own advice to you. (The word "You" in this context means the whole dev team)

You created this world, you are the "rulers" of the world we choose to enjoy and spend money in. Therefore, all decisions of yours are the ultimate decisions, and we are inclined to accept those decisions as facts.

We decided to play this game because we trust you

You should be the ones to recruit new moderators, selecting realms as quests, judging events*, etc. Sure, you may make a mistake or two, but it's totally acceptable if you can learn something from them and do better next time.

If you think you have done omething wrong, just check the community's response. You can't just believe in 1 complaint if 99 other persons likes it.

Abandoning the vast resources from your community is a huge mistake that can kill the game for good..

I hope you can consider everyone's advices in order to make the right choice for the game. I want to see a new appearance of this game, a refreshing one, in 2019.

Happy new year, @SirKewberth
    U said:

I used to do events. Gave away millions. Then I realized the amount it cost. If you want to support some, I’ll get Grey and get a team going. Maybe i’ll buy more cubits to do events once the game is steadily moderated.

Count me in when that happens, I want to devote some of my cubits and abilities to help too.
  • lucaaa795 said:

The whole point with charging was to deter people who weren't serious about an entry from stealing all available plots. But I thought we were returning the entry fee cubits after the contest is over. If we're not doing that then we need to go back to that system. I don't really want to charge, I just don't want a ton of empty build plots taking up all the room in the contest realms.
    More realms... http://forums2.cubiccastles.com/index.php?p=/discussion/24349/mobile-friendly-building-contests#latest
    edited December 2018

lucaaa795 said:

From what I’ve seen you pay for a plot to build, but at the end of the event you get your cubits back in a piggy..
    CD87 said:

You should be the ones to recruit new moderators, selecting realms as quests, judging events*, etc. Sure, you may make a mistake or two, but it's totally acceptable if you can learn something from them and do better next time.

Well we've constantly changed what we do based on past experience. A lot of the suggestions people are making are things we tried that we also thought would work out and didn't for various reasons. The players suggesting just don't know that because they haven't been on the dev team the last few years.

Selecting new moderators is fine in theory, but in practice it's difficult to do. You have to consider that outside of my duties and responsibilities in the real world, which are numerous, I have to also put in 60+hrs every week coding and doing artwork. It doesn't leave a ton of time to hang out in the game and get to know players really well, which is part of selecting new mods. I've seen many suggestions, but they're all players I have never even met. It's kinda like lending someone your car keys because a friend of a friend said they drive good.

• Well, that friend could drive your car to the carwash, and get it all squeaky clean :D

#GraceForModerator
    Well since people feel so strongly about this mod thing (I'm a little surprised) I will make an effort to try and find some new ones. You have to understand, from my point of view most of what I see about mods is complaints from people about how a mod banned or warned them etc.. so you do get into the mindset of players not really liking the mod system.
  • I guess you're not the only dev here :)

I guess you're not the only dev here :)

Yeah there's also cosmic.
    edited December 2018

Well, that friend could drive your car to the carwash, and get it all squeaky clean :D

#GraceForModerator

Grace would be a wonderful mod. I talk to her almost everyday on discord and she is very sweet and caring. But she does also have a busy life as well so of course it is up to her if the admins do ask.
  • Well since people feel so strongly about this mod thing (I'm a little surprised) I will make an effort to try and find some new ones. You have to understand, from my point of view most of what I see about mods is complaints from people about how a mod banned or warned them etc.. so you do get into the mindset of players not really liking the mod system.

That's because people don't understand that they cannot do bad things. We have a lot of young players here, who do not know a whole lot, so ofc we will have people complaining. I see your point of view, and I greatly appreciate the fact that you are looking into this, rather than tossing it aside :)