Moderator Vouching/Vetting Program

I am not sure of the exact requirements or process for a player to successfully win an invitation to this volunteer position (and I don't think most people know, either), but at the same time, I get the feeling I would like some way for the many trusted members of the community as a whole to vouch for anyone with the potential to qualify. I mean, if there are dozens or even a couple hundred different players that all say, "Yeah, that one guy? That should totally be working for the community..." I think that would be a compelling argument for the nominated player's favor.

I don't know too many specifics right now. I simply want to officially propose a more clear way for selection into the Halls of Moderators.

Comments

• elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember
    Well we indeed need more mods, not to be mean or so but there are only 1-2 mods actively doing things against scammers and stuff and thats just a too low ammount

And please dont say that i should be a mod, i dont even want to be one :/
  • All I've been told (true or false) is that you can not ask to be a mod. This makes the eligibility screening that much more mysterious, since any point-blank questions about the matter are (from my point of view) unanswered.
    Indeed, if you ask to be mod you will automatically lose your chance on ever becoming a mod, also there was never told anything about voting for other persons
  • CortanaCortana UnknownMember, Retired Moderator
    Perhaps you might want to look up Cubic Moderation Offices through a lobby search, it has big lists of all requirements and information about staff members and their job within the building. "Voting" has been brought up in the past and got a negative feedback. Not a good idea, imo. Would link the old thread if I could find it.
  • GollumGollum South AfricaMember, Retired Moderator
    If this was implemented, all it would take is one rich player paying enough people to vouch for him/her.

Also, the devs are adults, and are experienced in life, they have been around long enough to judge people's characters well enough, and to know what the person is like. This is their game, and I'm sure any game developers are the same, they wouldn't want fake, fame seeking players in a moderator position, because the majority of the community just want to be a moderator for the tag, and to build fame from that.

So from my side, this would be a horrible idea, because the devs are probably the best judge of character, and they know what type of people they need moderating the game. If they leave it to the community, people would just nominate their friends.
  • HorusHorus EnglandMember, Forum Moderator, Retired Moderator
    edited January 2017
    As a moderator, you somewhat represent the game and its company (Their image, customer satisfaction, growth, etc is at stake). It would be a terrible idea to give players the ability to decide who does that. Sure, democracy is good, but not in such a game... our audience is very young and easily influenced by others. Someone could be a terrible person, give away freebies for votes, then win and treat others like rubbish.

I will also add that the "asking" part is just to avoid having ourselves spammed with applications. "Can I become mod, pls?!" "What can I do to become mod, I did this can I join now?!" If someone simply asks who the moderators are, how it all functions, and offer their help, we'll be happy to reply. But if you bash on us REALLY wanting to get in, yes it will be annoying and we'll avoid you :)

Here is the generic message I send to all who ask about how moderators get chosen:

In-game moderators are chosen upon trust and experience, the account "perks" carry a heavy weight of responsibility and self-control. We cannot just give it to anyone who desire the status, they need to earn it. This is why we don't provide users with the ability to apply. If we see anyone fit for the role, we contact them directly and offer a position.

Standing out from the crowd is the way to go. Helping on the forums, providing information for the wiki, or just doing anything that would help the game grow and keep the community happy. This way you will get noticed, and probably even befriend some of the current staff.
  • SidddSiddd UKMember, Game Moderator
    I'd also like to quickly add that helping out purely to try and get the moderator status isn't the way to go, you should be the kind of person who wants to help out regardless of the moderator tag.
  • edited January 2017
    We defiantly need more mods but I can see the hesitation of the admins part. It goes beyond the simple line of few can be trusted. First mods are an inefficient means to bring peace to the game. That is not me saying the mods don't do anything but what they are able to do is limited with their hands being tied with how the present system of punishment works along with other factors such as real life. I think when the game was smaller mods were an ideal solution but with the rapidly growing community they are becoming a bandaid to the equal expanding problem that needs surgery. I know this is not an ideal solution for many reasons but is a proposal that could be built on. The mods need to be better connected and work as a group for one. Correct me if I am wrong but for example the Christmas Town just as an example was solely Cortanas and Horus. Team work needs to be evaluatated. Secondly there needs to be a time system placed. Yes it is a volunteer position and mods are human but a required level of presence should be placed. It does not matter if you have twenty mods but only a couple are present. The mods are stretched thin and overworked. There needs to be a rotational basis with the mods. For example have one set of mods working for two months, then another set working for two months with it rotating back to the first switching back and forth. That would allow more mods without them ovetlapping, reduce the need to monitor mods who could abuse power, and give mods a break. Have two set team leadets for each group with certain mods in power all the time.

No matter what we can all agree there is a growing problem and methods of old are becoming antiquated. Something is going to have to be done eventually.
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator

We defiantly need more mods but I can see the hesitation of the admins part. It goes beyond the simple line of few can be trusted. First mods are an inefficient means to bring peace to the game. That is not me saying the mods don't do anything but what they are able to do is limited with their hands being tied with how the present system of punishment works along with other factors such as real life. I think when the game was smaller mods were an ideal solution but with the rapidly growing community they are becoming a bandaid to the equal expanding problem that needs surgery. I know this is not an ideal solution for many reasons but is a proposal that could be built on. The mods need to be better connected and work as a group for one. Correct me if I am wrong but for example the Christmas Town just as an example was solely Cortanas and Horus. Team work needs to be evaluatated. Secondly there needs to be a time system placed. Yes it is a volunteer position and mods are human but a required level of presence should be placed. It does not matter if you have twenty mods but only a couple are present. The mods are stretched thin and overworked. There needs to be a rotational basis with the mods. For example have one set of mods working for two months, then another set working for two months with it rotating back to the first switching back and forth. That would allow more mods without them ovetlapping, reduce the need to monitor mods who could abuse power, and give mods a break. Have two set team leadets for each group with certain mods in power all the time.

No matter what we can all agree there is a growing problem and methods of old are becoming antiquated. Something is going to have to be done eventually.

I think we work well as a team personally.
    We have an ingame modchat our own forum sections where we can bring up topics.
    But as you don't see/know about this stuff you assume there is no teamwork, bit like how people think reports don't work.

The idea of rotating mods every 2 months is not well thought out imo. Life doesn't work like that. Timing burnout and irl issues onto a 2 month cycle. It would also be counter intuitive to the teamwork aspects you bring up.
  • Mcwolf the SaneMcwolf the Sane BangladeshMember
    Plus imo modding is hard. Sure, it has some perks, and it's a great honor, but it would take some time away from you actually enjoying the game doing whatever you like because you'd have responsibilities and burdens. You'd have to keep a lot of things in mind about what to do, how to talk and react. Like, if you enjoy building all day, you would no longer be able to do it all the time cuz you'd have other stuff to do (or that's what I think). As interesting and honorable it may be, to me, it doesn't seem very fun.

If you want to be a mod because you want to partake in helping the community, there are loads of ways to do that without having the blue name tag ^^ So go ahead and help anyone you can if that's what gives you happiness. And if you want to be a mod for other reasons, then you aren't mod material cuz that's what mods are there to do.
  • I am well aware of the mod only forums and chat. I never stated there was not team work I stated there needed to be more team work. Furthermore I said my idea was flawed and it was just an example. If hubris is allowed to be the captain at the helm then change will not occur. Uncontrolled instances where the mods are not present are growing and change will need to be enacted. Even Kewberth has made several statements of such on other posts.
  • edited January 2017
    Like horus said,some kids pretending to be old enough but are probably trying to get the blue tag and the fame o.o. all that voting just to be famous. Stupid.

Then they will start picking on other people the nano second they get the fame.

This shouldn't be added because the CC community will have a bad reputation and no one will play anymore.
  • edited January 2017
    Horus said:

As a moderator, you somewhat represent the game and its company (Their image, customer satisfaction, growth, etc is at stake). It would be a terrible idea to give players the ability to decide who does that. Sure, democracy is good, but not in such a game... our audience is very young and easily influenced by others. Someone could be a terrible person, give away freebies for votes, then win and treat others like rubbish.

I will also add that the "asking" part is just to avoid having ourselves spammed with applications. "Can I become mod, pls?!" "What can I do to become mod, I did this can I join now?!" If someone simply asks who the moderators are, how it all functions, and offer their help, we'll be happy to reply. But if you bash on us REALLY wanting to get in, yes it will be annoying and we'll avoid you :)

Here is the generic message I send to all who ask about how moderators get chosen:

In-game moderators are chosen upon trust and experience, the account "perks" carry a heavy weight of responsibility and self-control. We cannot just give it to anyone who desire the status, they need to earn it. This is why we don't provide users with the ability to apply. If we see anyone fit for the role, we contact them directly and offer a position.

Standing out from the crowd is the way to go. Helping on the forums, providing information for the wiki, or just doing anything that would help the game grow and keep the community happy. This way you will get noticed, and probably even befriend some of the current staff.

Honestly, that's all I needed to know! ;)

With that in mind, I also perfectly accept the criticisms to this suggestion, and I see where it may not be the best idea. I've gotten more than ample clarification. Thank you for your collective time.

I'm still offering my help, as I have been for the past couple months. And I'd like to think I've been making some figuratively big waves.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

• If you want to be a mod because you want to partake in helping the community, there are loads of ways to do that without having the blue name tag ^^ So go ahead and help anyone you can if that's what gives you happiness. And if you want to be a mod for other reasons, then you aren't mod material cuz that's what mods are there to do.

Great chosen words McWolf !!!

theres many ways to help,
    but seems many ppl dont understand this and too much focused to become famous :)
    I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Being awesome is its own reward! ;)
  • uh oh.... welp being a mod are not easy , because a mod have to be helping people such as helping if there is a bug etc like BJDware and Gdog and other.
  • HorusHorus EnglandMember, Forum Moderator, Retired Moderator
    Being a moderator on its own is really difficult, you should respect what they do. Yes, you do get that shiny blue tag, you do have more power and authority over others, but you'll quickly realise they're nothing compared to what you're up against.

Hordes of angry players bashing on you for "not doing your job" while you're powerless, held up by guidelines, or just wanting to relax after a hard day. Constant requests for help, angered players that you've punished harassing you on daily basis, it all gets real rough. Your personal space and time will squish to a near 0 while in game, unless you hide.

Due to that, a lot of our current moderators (including me), had to take a longer break at some point, or just leave entirely. The stress can and most likely will get too much for you to handle. The 17+ moderator requirement isn't just for maturity reasons, if we were to put a fragile mind into such chaos it could have a real impact on them.
  • edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Horus said:

Being a moderator on its own is really difficult, you should respect what they do. Yes, you do get that shiny blue tag, you do have more power and authority over others, but you'll quickly realise they're nothing compared to what you're up against.

Hordes of angry players bashing on you for "not doing your job" while you're powerless, held up by guidelines, or just wanting to relax after a hard day. Constant requests for help, angered players that you've punished harassing you on daily basis, it all gets real rough. Your personal space and time will squish to a near 0 while in game, unless you hide.

Due to that, a lot of our current moderators (including me), had to take a longer break at some point, or just leave entirely. The stress can and most likely will get too much for you to handle. The 17+ moderator requirement isn't just for maturity reasons, if we were to put a fragile mind into such chaos it could have a real impact on them.

Meh, i am like this: are you going to be disrespectfull you dont deserve it to be listened to, i only would listen to the people that need help and come to me on a normal way ;)
  • Horus said:

Honestly, I'd be totally excited to live a high-profile life. I mean sure, it's understandable to feel frustrated when trying to run a tabletop styled RPG and there are a dozen random kids all saying "DONATE" "GIMME STUFF!" "IVEBEENSCAMMED" and all that standard stuff. And I can see where that would gets annoying. But don't make it sound like it's this bleak void of terrible sorrow where there is nothing but the tears of a million babies. I've hung out with Moderators before, and I've seen where they're not always swarmed by Qbees begging for "Donate" and "Handout" (even though my clan made a running joke where, apparently, the Qbee word for "Hello" is "Donate"). And there will always be those who love the Moderators for just being Moderators, and the Developers for just being Developers who create an existence out of sheer nothingness.

I've always hated the idea of gating anything only on the merit age. But that is an ugly topic like politics, so other than chiming in real quickly here, I'll let it drop.

You can't please everybody, no matter how hard you try. Considering there are no "mentor" titles for the game, there are not a lot of ways to honor individual community members who serve with distinction.
    So if there is a better way, please pitch it.
  • GollumGollum South AfricaMember, Retired Moderator
    Here's a better way.
    Don't do it for the attention and high profile you are after, do it to help the community. Not everyone needs to know of your actions to "Help" the community.
  • Mcwolf the SaneMcwolf the Sane BangladeshMember
    edited January 2017

You can't please everybody, no matter how hard you try. Considering there are no "mentor" titles for the game, there are not a lot of ways to honor individual community members who serve with distinction.
    So if there is a better way, please pitch it.

I don't see why titles are needed to honor those people. This game's community may be pretty big, but if you've been playing for a while, you end up knowing the big names, that is, names of the people playing for a while doing good to the community. That recognition itself should be enough honor for people who "serve with distinction". For example, you say "Justmeg" and everyone who's been here a while knows she's an amazing builder. Or suppose you say Billyboo, and everyone knows Billyboo cuz half the world is in the Kingdom of Billyboo clan lol. Or TimMan or AthenaShy, Mr. Peng to name a few. These names you just know if you've been playing for a while. [N.B. Not commenting on their actions or anything, whether good or bad. Just saying they are well-known without any sort of titles on them. There are lots more like them, and these are simply examples from the top of my head]

So instead of asking for a title to honor you, work to make your IDENTITY your title. So instead of getting a Mod/mentor tag so you can move around and people will know you're a mod and someone distinguished, simply make it such that you move around and people will know you're Platinum Paladin the distinguished person.
  • BeIfastBeIfast ChileMember
    What about a rating of players to mod work or something like that ?
  • Gollum said:

Here's a better way.
    Don't do it for the attention and high profile you are after, do it to help the community. Not everyone needs to know of your actions to "Help" the community.

Agreed, even though I'm not a moderator, thousands of people don't need to know about someone to become one. Just help the people that need it, try to donate to the starters. As the Dalai Lama said (I'm not Buddhist but...) "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.".
  • Gollum said:

Here's a better way.

Agreed, even though I'm not a moderator, thousands of people don't need to know about someone to become one. Just help the people that need it, try to donate to the starters. As the Dalai Lama said (I'm not Buddhist but...) "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.".
    Gollum said:

Here's a better way.

I agree with both of you.

You can donate or help newbies without having to be a mod.
  • Gollum said:

Here's a better way.

Be excellent to each other. LOL I'm serious.