The Word Gay

Now before I begin on this subject I am not asking for a change or am sharing a strong opinion it is just I find it sad that the word Gay is censored in game. I understand why, people use it as a derogatory remark but having it censored will only perpetuate the thinking that homosexuality is wrong and it is ok to suppress a group of people. Cubic Castles is about community and while the subject of preference in others should not be spoken of as we are here to have fun not relationships it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That is all I have to say on the matter, food for thought. Not a spark for discussion on other peoples opinion as it can be rather controversial and the forums are not a place for that.

Comments

• I find it sad that people abuse the word every day. The fact that Bullies run around and call people gay noobs is just devastating. There's 0 need to be a using his word and using it to bully others. I myself have seen bullies in game bullying people and calling them gay. There's just no sense in it
  • AshiMagariAshiMagari The internet :PMember
    Agreed. It's not an insult. Even if a bully would call someone gay, the only people that should take it as an insult are those who already have a problem with homosexuality. The whole point of censorship is to show an intolerance towards something. There are still many words people use to insult others, but CC censorship is going to promote intolerance of homosexuality? I just don't see the logic in that.
  • edited November 2016
    Yes :)! You made it a little more clearer of what I was saying thank you Ashi.

It is without question that Cosmic Cow as a whole has the goal to foster a healthy and tolerant community evidenced by the quick and strict action that is taken for example in cases of bullying. It is why I have decided to point this out. A company is supported by paying customers and these customers are of all different races and creeds. It is there by default the company's responsibility to support said customers by not setting forth barriers to possibly alienate them due to a stance even if by unintentional means like the word Gay being censored.

For those who are reading this it may seem trivial, small and meaningless at the most but for those who have been bullied, made felt less because of who they are it is an entirely different story. When I was younger I was bullied, real bad because I was weird, this continued up until highschool where I began to find acceptance. To a person who is bullied it is the smallest things that act like a trigger, and for a person who is gay that has been bullied this is a potential trigger. That trigger is a small crack in a large dam but all it takes is that small crack to lead to the dam breaking.

It can be agreed most of us come to Cubic Castles to escape from our life and problems. None of us wants to be reminded of what we are trying to get away from. In Cubic Castles we find happiness, friendship, and it does not matter who we are as individuals. We can find acceptance. This truth needs to be supported and any lack of acceptance should not be tolerated.
  • OrigamibotOrigamibot Member
    edited November 2016
    Worst part is, years ago the word gay used to mean happy.
  • PerfctPerfct Member
    edited November 2016
    I'm utterly revolted with the developer's response to this situation. I really have no words. Yes, it is sad that people choose to use gay as an insult, but it's just so much worse that the Cosmic Cow would make the decision to censor it. If I could get an immediate refund for all of my purchases in this game, I would take it in a second. I feel that the actions of Cosmic Cow, ADULTS who should know better, is just unacceptable. I'm just sickened by the action taken in this situation.
  • scorto7scorto7 BelgiumRetired Moderator
    Perfct said:

I'm utterly revolted with the developer's response to this situation. I really have no words. Yes, it is sad that people choose to use gay as an insult, but it's just so much worse that the Cosmic Cow would make the decision to censor it. If I could get an immediate refund for all of my purchases in this game, I would take it in a second. I feel that the actions of Cosmic Cow, ADULTS who should know better, is just unacceptable. I'm just sickened by the action taken in this situation.

Do you think they have a choice in these matters???

Instead of raging on cosmic cow, you might want to focus all that on the people who use that word as an insult!!!
  • They do have a choice. They have a choice to ignore the homophobics, or promote intolerance of gays by censoring gay. I thought that the choice would be a no-brainer, but I guess I was wrong.
    Also, I don't deny that Cubic Castles is a great game. I'm just very upset by this action.
  • scorto7scorto7 BelgiumRetired Moderator
    Perfct said:

They do have a choice. They have a choice to ignore the homophobics, or promote intolerance of gays by censoring gay. I thought that the choice would be a no-brainer, but I guess I was wrong.
    Also, I don't deny that Cubic Castles is a great game. I'm just very upset by this action.

You seem to miss the legal issues involved...
    Do you really believe that Cosmic Cow is "promoting intolerance towards homosexual people??? Seriously???
  • Can we keep this thread peaceful and harmonious please. I don't believe that Cosmic Cow has any ill intentions, as I mentioned they censored it due to the fact it is commonly used as a derogatory remark. It is just it needs to be further thought out of than a simple it is used improperly, lets censor it, case closed.
  • AshiMagariAshiMagari The internet :PMember
    edited November 2016

Can we keep this thread peaceful and harmonious please. I don't believe that Cosmic Cow has any ill intentions, as I mentioned they censored it due to the fact it is commonly used as a derogatory remark. It is just it needs to be further thought out of than a simple it is used improperly, lets censor it, case closed.

This.
    I'm going to rant (again xP) and it's going to be long and semi-repetitive, but bear with me please...

Yes. They are promoting it. No, it is not on purpose. I think there are multiple kinds of promotion. One way of promoting something is the "Hey everyone, let's do this!" or "Hey everyone, let's buy this thing!". Another is by reinforcement.

In this case, Cosmic Cow is OBVIOUSLY NOT going around saying everyone should be using "Gay" as an insult. The second they do that is the second they lose much of their consumer base. BUT, when a child tries to say the word "Gay" whether positive or negative, the game is going to tell them "No, that word is wrong." (Again, not harboring ill will towards Cosmic Cow, don't mistake my frustration for hatred)

Now, if you think like most people, when you are told something is wrong, does that make you stop? NOPE. Not even a little. In fact, a lot of players will say censored words more frequently, just to get around the filter.

I don't see why it needs to be censored in the first place. If players want to use it in a derogatory way, they will, regardless of the chat filter. The only thing the chat filter does in this case is make it harder for players to have normal conversations about it. Yea, it sucks that people use "gay" as an insult. It sucks more that good people can't defend it as a friendlier term.
  • I mean it is an innocent word but many still don't accept the fact that the word gay is innocent or generally accept gays. People just see it as a negative thing and using it falsely as an insult like the word "Noob" which basically means new and I don't see the reason why calling someone new is an insult for new eventually gets old ;-;
  • The reason it was censored had nothing to do with gay people. The problem is the word "gay" is often used in a derogatory/insulting/attacking manner, and some people found that offensive. So either we allow players to use it as an insult/attack, which can be seen as offensive, or we hide the word, which, could also be construed as offensive. But, we'll remove it from the list on the next update and see how it goes. It could go back to censored if people use it extensively to attack or bully though.
  • Thank you Cosmic Cow and I knew that is why it was censored. It is just as others have pointed out if people want to use the word Gay as derogatory they are going to go around the censor. The most effective way is for the community to be active in taking pictures of those who are using it negatively because that is bullying period.

This thread can be closed.
This discussion has been closed.