Coding (Programming)

edited July 2016 in Off-Topic
Have you taken lessons on any sort of computer programming? Discuss here on what type of CP and try to send a link or image of your coding.

Comments

• TurnovusTurnovus Member
    edited July 2016
    Lua!

a = {'T', 'u', 'r', 'n', 'o', 'v', 'u', 's'}
    b = 'Turnovus'
    for i = 1,#a do
    print(a[i])
    end
    print(('My name is %s. My name has %d characters'):format(b,#b))

T
    u
    r
    n
    o
    v
    u
    s
    My name is Turnovus. My name has 8 characters
  • GramieGramie Member
    edited July 2016
    I tried to learn C++ but, it's too hard for me.This is all I can memorize.

#include
    < iostream >
    using namespace std;
    int main ()
    {
    cout <<"Hello my name is gramie";
    return 0;
    }

Hello my name is gramie

• Sir. PixelSir. Pixel EnglandMember
    I know Python?

print:("Hello World")
    name=Input:("What is your name?")
    print()
    print(Hello, {0}.format(name))

Hello World
    What is your name? [ Insert Name, For example, Joesph ]
    Hello, Joesph
  • I know how to program with Java, I've only taken free online courses though

I have some unresponsive keys on my keyboard atm, so I can't post any code because it's very unhandy for me.
  • TheTimManTheTimMan In Athena Shy's armsMember
    * ASCII 232
    * Basic
    * CAD/CAM
    * Compact II
    * Fanuc
    * HTML
    * Javascript
    * Just Basic
    * Mazatrol

ASCII 232 is NC Programming. Numerical Control to run the machine tool. Paper tape holds the instructions and the machine does what is written on the paper by reading the holes in the tape.

Basic is what the Commodore 64 used for programs.

CAD/CAM (computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing) refers to computer software that is used to both design and manufacture products. CAD is the use of computer technology for design and design documentation.

Compact II is CNC Programming & similar to Logo which a machine follows an imaginary line and completes instructions to run the machine tool.

Fanuc is CNC Programming to run the machine tool.

HTML the programming language of a Web page.

Javascript is one of the world's most popular programming languages.

Just Basic is a programming language for the Windows operating system.

Mazatrol is CNC programming to run the machine tool.

Note - The machine tool listed above is used in Machine Shops. Machines include Lathe, Mill, Boring Mill, & Grinder.

Note - NC & CNC refer to automated machines that run via programs. NC is Numerical Control, & CNC is Computer Numerical Control.
  • iBunniezillaiBunniezilla New ZealandMember
    I know three.
    -HTML
    -CSS
    -

Basically the scripting language of roblox, basically if you've played the game before.
    Here's an example of when you get Punched by a player

==Player Punched! GUI+Hitsound+HP

local Gui = game.StarterGui.ppG
    local Hitsound = game.Workspace.hitSound
    local Player = game.Players.StarterPlayer
    local Weapon = game.Lighting.boxingGloves
    local Player Health = game.Players.Starterplayer.Health

==When the player is hit.
    if Player is hit then
    if Players health =+0 then
    Player Health.Value = -10
    else
    Player.Reset = true

==Added Hitsound
    if Player is hit then
    Hitsound:(Play) loop = false
    else
    Player.Reset = true

==Added Gui
    if Player is hit then
    Hitsound:(Play) loop = false
    Gui.Visible = true ==This shows the image
    Gui.Visible = false ==This hides it
    else
    Player.Reset = true

That's all I know!

• Sir Pixel If Anyone How Could You spell my name wrong :Q: it's Joseph
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    All computers use binary to run programs... basic, c++, java etc.. are just layers on top.

If you really want to understand how computers work you need to understand assembly and binary, and what registers are and how memory works, and the bus etc.. This will give you a good foundation. All computer programs run on top of this. In the old days when I first started making games, we needed some understanding of the hardware level. These days it's enough to learn unity. Modern development has been moved far from the hardware.

High level languages are those that are considered furthest from the computer hardware. Assembler is very close to the hardware. But even on a c64, as with on a modern pc, ultimately some version of binary machine code is running.

Also it's useful to understand the difference between interpreted languages, and compiled languages, as well as byte-code and virtual machine languages.

Have fun! :-)
  • HorusHorus EnglandMember, Forum Moderator, Retired Moderator

If you really want to understand how computers work you need to understand assembly and binary, and what registers are and how memory works, and the bus etc.. This will give you a good foundation. All computer programs run on top of this. In the old days when I first started making games, we needed some understanding of the hardware level. These days it's enough to learn unity. Modern development has been moved far from the hardware.

No matter how technology changes over the years, everyone still has to learn the good old basics. If you decide to study a computer related subject as a degree, you'll be required to learn binary, hex, logic gates, registers, memory, busses, fetch-decode-execute, encoders/decoders, and much more. It will hit you on your first year before you actually start touching any of the stuff you chose, so... be prepared! (Yep, I had my hopes up too, no escaping it. Source - me, current Uni student)

For those interested, I can recommend learning the basics of binary and then having a look at logic gates. AND's, OR's, etc, they're the foundation of any digital device.

Digital Works is a pretty neat software for testing them out and drawing circuits:
    https://www.mecanique.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=89
  • So I pretty much got from all that tech speak that there is no donuts at the office party tonight what a bummer :P.