Joker and Harley - The perfect couple ?

GollumGollum South AfricaMember, Retired Moderator
So, ever since the movie "Suicide Squad", people have been obsessed with having a relationship like The Joker and Harley Quinn (A lot of people in CC). But how much do you actually know about their relationship ?

To start off with, there was never one or an original Harley Quinn, the name "Harley Quinn" comes from the word "Harlequin" which by the dictionary definition is: "A mute character in traditional pantomime, typically masked and dressed in a diamond-patterned costume." (Pantomime by definition of the dictionary is: "A theatrical entertainment, mainly for children, which involves music, topical jokes, and slapstick comedy and is based on a fairy tale or nursery story")

So those 2 definitions basically define the character Harley Quinn, and Harley Quinn is basically a pun on the word Harlequin.

Secondly, in the comic books, and all of the original stories of the joker, you will find that there were well over 10 Harleys. Joker would mentally manipulate women into trusting him, and being so dependent on him, that they never lived their own lives. Once one of the Harleys would start realizing what was happening, or started to phase out of Joker's manipulation, he would simply "get rid" of them, and start manipulating a new victim.

In the Suicide Squad movie, the story about Harley and The Joker is portrayed in a different way to the comics. But if you know the back story from the comic books, you will know that that story of Harley and Joker was already told, he brain washed her into believing all of the stories he put in her head, and gave her an origin story to tell to everyone.

So, in conclusion, if you want a relationship like Harley and Joker, you need to know which Harley you are talking about, and you should know that relationship was an abusive one, one sided abusive (Towards Harley).

Just wanted to share this as I see a lot of fan boys and fan girls, that just base all of their knowledge off of the basics of Suicide Squad, because if you watch the movie carefully, they drop a lot of hints relating to the comics related to everything I spoke about.

Comments

• EloquenceEloquence Member
    edited August 2016
    Great summary, Ollom.

If anyone thinks there is affection in this relationship, it is only really coming from Harley Quinn. Yes, sometimes The Joker does show some feelings towards Quinn, but does that cover the fact that he has used her, abused her and has tried to kill her several times?

No, it doesn't.

Quinn's obsession with The Joker has made The Joker her kryptonite. Almost everytime he hurts her, she can't help but forgive him.

So one word to describe their relationship?Toxic.

And to be honest, an awesome character like Harley Quinn deserves so much more. Everytime when she appears to be an awesome villain, her weakness (The Joker) just seems to make her character more complex and confusing.
  • CanItBeDoneCanItBeDone The Universe; The Milky Way Galaxy; The Solar System; Earth; North AmericaMember
    Funny movie. Grim relationships.
  • When I Search Fir Myself wpthis is wat I get D:<
  • GollumGollum South AfricaMember, Retired Moderator
    No nechroposting please.
This discussion has been closed.