Is Slim A Beta Tester

I wish I could show pics of this, but I can't. SRY. SOOOOOOO ThisIsNotSlim had a purple title with the ranking "BETA" I am assuming this means he is a Beta Tester? If so, how do you become one?

Comments

• I'm not sure if you can apply to be a beta tester I think there's certain qualifications
  • PerfctPerfct Member
    Yeah, he's a beta tester. Being a tester is a closed position, the admins will let you know if they think you're right for it. In the future, try PMing him or finding him IG instead of making a whole thread. :)
  • Okie xD
  • GollumGollum South AfricaMember, Retired Moderator
    The thread is fine.
    Yeah there used to be quite a few Beta testers, myself included. Then everyone got kicked out except for Slim and the Mods. As far as I know.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    edited July 2016
    We started to move at one point towards more open beta testing, but found that in the end most of the players who had access didn't actually test or provide feedback, but rather just used the beta server as a place to play with the new stuff first. There were of course exceptions to this, but it also led to all kinds of drama, with players arguing about who should and shouldn't test, and people leaking info without permission etc... Since there wasn't a lot of good feedback from this method, and since it was leading to some problems, we moved back towards more closed testing by selected people. Though in practice we haven't actually done any big open betas in quite a while, since most of our recent updates have been fairly small. We'll probably have one in a few months and before Halloween etc...

Being a good beta tester is more than just playing the game and noting problems. Some people have a gut feeling or understanding about how the tech works and are very good at finding problems because of the way they test. It's really a skill, and not everybody has it. In Slim's case the testing he's done for us is really beyond what you'd expect of someone volunteering, and he's very good at it. He has a knack for finding strange unexpected ways to break things, that not everyone has. He's caught a LOT of potentially very bad bugs before releases.
  • We started to move at one point towards more open beta testing, but found that in the end most of the players who had access didn't actually test or provide feedback, but rather just used the beta server as a place to play with the new stuff first. There were of course exceptions to this, but it also led to all kinds of drama, with players arguing about who should and shouldn't test, and people leaking info without permission etc... Since there wasn't a lot of good feedback from this method, and since it was leading to some problems, we moved back towards more closed testing by selected people. Though in practice we haven't actually done any big open betas in quite a while, since most of our recent updates have been fairly small. We'll probably have one in a few months and before Halloween etc...

Being a good beta tester is more than just playing the game and noting problems. Some people have a gut feeling or understanding about how the tech works and are very good at finding problems because of the way they test. It's really a skill, and not everybody has it. In Slim's case the testing he's done for us is really beyond what you'd expect of someone volunteering, and he's very good at it. He has a knack for finding strange unexpected ways to break things, that not everyone has. He's caught a LOT of potentially very bad bugs before releases.

About people arguing, ya I saw this a lot when I went to the holla where it said HEY GUYS CHECK OUT SLIM'S NAME. When people realized that he was a beta tester, they kinda freaked out. Because obviously, they wanted to be one themselves, but instead of being like "Ok, well i didn't get it, okie." They just go insane saying "HOLY (CENSORED) WHY IS HE A TESTER?!"
  • CD87CD87 Member
    edited July 2016

About people arguing, ya I saw this a lot when I went to the holla where it said HEY GUYS CHECK OUT SLIM'S NAME. When people realized that he was a beta tester, they kinda freaked out. Because obviously, they wanted to be one themselves, but instead of being like "Ok, well i didn't get it, okie." They just go insane saying "HOLY (CENSORED) WHY IS HE A TESTER?!"

That's what most people (Many of them are kids) in this game will act, same case with (Insert someone's name here).

Anyway, Slim has worked hard enough for it - plus he has the right skill that they need. Therefore, he deserved it.

This would be my reaction if I saw his name:

Hi Slim! Nice name you have there :)
  • Ya, when i saw it, i was like "THATS SOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL."
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    No he isn't :P
    Mace Slimdu is the 2nd most powerful jedi after yoda.
    In truth he begged george kewberth to have a different colour so he would been seen better in battle scenes :)
    mace-windu

Sarcasm level 5 used for this post :)
  • Lucas The SpiderLucas The Spider U.K, England Member
    OMG! lol, too funny xD
  • DjedoDjedo Member
    This guy is also beta ↑
  • scorto7scorto7 BelgiumRetired Moderator
    gdog said:

No he isn't :P
    Mace Slimdu is the 2nd most powerful jedi after yoda.
    In truth he begged george kewberth to have a different colour so he would been seen better in battle scenes :)
    mace-windu

Sarcasm level 5 used for this post :)

lol..... hehehe :D :D
    Good one :P

May the cube be with you slim ;)
  • We started to move at one point towards more open beta testing, but found that in the end most of the players who had access didn't actually test or provide feedback, but rather just used the beta server as a place to play with the new stuff first. There were of course exceptions to this, but it also led to all kinds of drama, with players arguing about who should and shouldn't test, and people leaking info without permission etc... Since there wasn't a lot of good feedback from this method, and since it was leading to some problems, we moved back towards more closed testing by selected people. Though in practice we haven't actually done any big open betas in quite a while, since most of our recent updates have been fairly small. We'll probably have one in a few months and before Halloween etc...

Id have to agree with this with slims commitment to helping find bugs in new items he really deserves that beta rank if i were chosen to help test in beta i wouldnt just take advantage of this id strive to help find bugs XD i feel like now that slims got the purple name people all around him are asking how he got it or how they can sign up it isnt a applicable position its earned i think honestly im not sure XD nowadays i think slim would agree with me when i say the only question hes getting nowadays is how did you get that purple name? And can i sogn up for beta? Its a bit overwhelming i bet XD hopefully one day ill get to use beta to help find bugs im a perfect finder but that might not happen anytime soon lol
  • edited July 2016
    Ya, Slim is epic. We all know that #SlimDaBest
  • No, because the "BETA" title means "pickle". *SARCASM* *SARCASM* *SARCASM* *SARCASM* *SARCASM* *SARCASM* *SARCASM* *SARCASM*
  • edited July 2016
    Hi new the forum! > Here beta renk ?
    20160724221631_1
  • Hi new the forum! > Here beta renk ?
    20160724221631_1

Whoever owns that realm, DANG, NICE FLOOR. My floor is just mountain xD