Where is the love ?

GollumGollum South AfricaMember, Retired Moderator
I've seen a lot of hate, discrimination, racism and generalization sweep through our in-game and forum community, like a plague.

I've also seen a lot of good qualities being revealed by people, and just a lot of love being spread by them.

I personally play this game because, in my country I cant walk to a friends house without being sworn at, having racist comments thrown at me from people I walk past, or sprinting away from a group of muggers. So it's nice to get away from all that, and there is no race or religion or other aspects like these in Cubic Castles.

So the other day a few of the above mentioned things happened to me. When I got home, I fell into my routine and logged onto the forums, only to find some people hating on people from other countries, people complaining about being victims of generalization and other things.

I want to encourage people who are doing these things to keep it out of our fantasy world, this game is like a sanctuary, a place where we can escape the harsh realities of life for a couple of hours. I also want to encourage the community to stand up for people if you see this happening to them.

Let's keep our safe haven hate free.

A big cheers to the people who keep the game fun and alive, and who stick up for people being bullied and what not.

A quote from a legendary song (IMO)

But if you only have love for your own race
Then you only leave space to discriminate
And to discriminate only generates hate
And when you hate then you're bound to get irate, yeah

Madness is what you demonstrate
And that's exactly how anger works and operates
Man, you gotta have love just to set it straight
Take control of your mind and meditate
Let your soul gravitate to the love - The black Eyed Peas

Comments

• Cubic MomCubic Mom Retired Moderator
    Very well said Gollum!! You have me in tears from your beautiful words, and thanks so much for sharing....hugs to you!! I think if every one of us, in our own way, does our very best to bring back the love, friendship, caring, sharing aspects of this game, then we can take control of our wonderful fantasy world once again. But it takes ALL of us standing up and doing the right thing, whether it's helping someone instead of walking away, or killing someone with kindness after they have insulted us. I have always told my sons, "treat others how you want to be treated". It has nothing to do with religion, race, or anything else, it's just a common courtesy to other people. There will always be bad people in the world, but maybe, just maybe, we can together make CC our wonderful, loving community once again. Thanks Gollum for making my day :)
  • -claps- braco just bravo truly outspoken i love it
  • What kind of county do you live in O_O
  • edited July 2016
    He lives in Middle Earth, Mordor! They have pet lions there from what he told me. Also he experiences those things because he is the odd man out with being a cave hobbit among goblins, trolls, and other nasty creatures.
  • GollumGollum South AfricaMember, Retired Moderator
    Thanks for the support, I was half expecting to be mauled by angry people.
    I live in South Africa, not in the fancy places you see on tv and stuff. But yeah pretty dodgy area.
    Don't be giving my secrets away Grey :O

I'm glad the message is getting across to a few people.
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    We'll clear out the trash gollum.
    Let me know who, where and when ok?
    Racism, xenophobia, bigotry and hatred isn't acceptable in this game.
    A change is gonna come.
  • Sorry about giving your secrets away, I guess I should not draw them a map to where you keep your precious eithier then?Precious

I am glad you made this topic, the lack of respect players have for each other is astonishing. It makes me want to hole up in my realm and not come out. Maybe I am fooling myself that it was better but I think CC started to take a sharp decline after October with the player base.
  • The 007The 007 PortugalMember
    Ok sooo, I know this will be deleted, but deleting guy, think with me.
    He is getting love (and crying? O_o) for simply saying "Hey, Stop that"
    Like he is being poked with a stick and gets mad, yet doesn't do that much. He states that hate is a thing, and we all know that, but showing no proposals to fight it.
    Don't get me wrong, I had my share of events, irl and in game, but to point out the obvious isn't that much of a help either, because it's not like a person that shows hate towards others will just stop because Gollum says so, he will pass by like its nothing (this of course, IF he passes by).
    I just fell like a bunch of people had done this kind of thing before (pointing out the obvious) and the results haven't changed.
    I could make a post saying "No Hate", nothing else, AND I WOULD BE A SUPER NICE AND COOL GUY, just because I against hate. Like C'MON.
    I do understand that people are upset that the community isn't has good has it was, but we have to face that, no matter where we go, we can't have nice things.
    Is it sad? Yes. Can we do anything about it, except just get upset? Nope.

Unless you can change the "Nope" to an actual solution,I see no point on these posts.

This is just my opinion though, no hate towards Gollum.
  • lunariscilunarisci 'MuricaMember
    edited July 2016

I don't feel like Gollum's intention of making this discussion is to gain attention and be praised by everyone

We already know there's a lot of... things in the world that neither you nor I can completely erase from society. But that doesn't mean we can't make an effort to diminish the negative effect it has on us.

In all honesty, I didn't even notice people behaving so poorly toward others in these forums

The first step in everything is addressing the situation; spreading awareness, bringing to the public's view the severity of the problem, thereby coming to the point of what can we do to prevent this from happening again

Now, yes, I have seen other people post discussions like these in the past. There is a general pattern I have noticed where I see people replying and agreeing with the owner of the discussion, but nothing noticeable ever happens

There's a difference between talking about the problem and taking action.

On another point I feel like some people can agree with me when, for example, you see a child jumping on a bed and you tell them, "Hey, stop, no, that's bad. You're going to get hurt." Do they actually stop just because you told them to stop? Most of the time, no. And that's the frustrating part. People are going to stick by what they think they know is right, and before it's too late, will suffer the consequences.

But by bringing light to the situation, you can rally other people that have the same opinion as you and stop that darn kid from breaking his/her neck by of your strength in numbers. This may or not seem relative to this entire discussion, but to me it does.

People may not even realize that they are hurting the person on the other side of the screen. They may not even realize that despite their intended purpose of lightening the mood, they just indirectly made everything worse. That, to me, is one of the worst feelings anyone can ever feel.

Yes, it does feel like these kinds of discussions can feel like ranting instead of trying to make a difference. But this is a place where people can give suggestions as to what we can do. Maybe it's making occasional PSAs, or dedicating a day or a week to anti-cyber-bullying. Either way, it's important that we actually take action instead of just ignoring the problem.

Sorry, I ended up ranting myself ;w; I hope a lot of this doesn't seem like unnecessary fluff and gets my point across.
    TL;DR: It may seem like these kinds of discussions are meaningless, but awareness is the first step. We need to stop waiting for something to magically solve our problems and take action ourselves. Wow that sounded cheesy We have to stop ourselves from having the mentality of, "Oh, there's no way we can stop discrimination in its entirely. We might as well not do anything and let it pass." Sure it's impossible to completely erase negative judgement towards others from our society, but we can at least make the effort to lessen it.
  • MarieAraMarieAra MexicoMember
    It's so nice to see this kind of post in the forum! I am a firm believer that little by little we can change everything :D
    We should focus on what we can do to help and improve instead of focusing on problems. If we let them get to us then we'll only be sad and disappointed, instead, let's just show them that there's still nice people out there who care about each other and are willing to help out. What we do may not seem like a lot but if we join forces we can do great things!!
    Bad people will always be out there, that's sadly how the world is, don't let them bring you down, don't let hate slow you down, keep doing you and focus on the love!
    It' pointless making a statement without applying it to (In this case) your gameplay. So what I'm trying to get across is a motivation to be kind, or help people being bullied. If you've ever been seriously bullied you will know it's not that easy to just tell on the bully and carry on.

So I cant just make this post and expect everyone to carry out good deeds while I just sit here doing nothing. I have to practice what I preach, right ?

So I help people being manipulated, if I'm in a realm and I see someone being spoken to in a way that seems like bullying or something similar, I help them out mate. Not by roasting the bully, but by resolving the issue, I have done this a couple times already.

All I'm doing is encouraging people to do the same, because it makes quite a difference. And if someone is being bullied and has no one to turn to, then what's the point of them staying with our community ?

The 007 said:

Ok sooo, I know this will be deleted, but deleting guy, think with me.
    He is getting love (and crying? O_o) for simply saying "Hey, Stop that"
    Like he is being poked with a stick and gets mad, yet doesn't do that much. He states that hate is a thing, and we all know that, but showing no proposals to fight it.
    Don't get me wrong, I had my share of events, irl and in game, but to point out the obvious isn't that much of a help either, because it's not like a person that shows hate towards others will just stop because Gollum says so, he will pass by like its nothing (this of course, IF he passes by).
    I just fell like a bunch of people had done this kind of thing before (pointing out the obvious) and the results haven't changed.
    I could make a post saying "No Hate", nothing else, AND I WOULD BE A SUPER NICE AND COOL GUY, just because I against hate. Like C'MON.
    I do understand that people are upset that the community isn't has good has it was, but we have to face that, no matter where we go, we can't have nice things.
    Is it sad? Yes. Can we do anything about it, except just get upset? Nope.

Unless you can change the "Nope" to an actual solution,I see no point on these posts.

This is just my opinion though, no hate towards Gollum.

This is the most defeatist and idiotic post I've read in awhile.
    If people just kept quiet and went along with things then america would still be a black slave nation.
    Everyone has a voice and freedom of speech allows us to voice it.
    If you're not happy with something you have to say something to start the process of change.
  • edited July 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    *Dread* said:

Wooo woooo woooo
    It's a 15 years old game to stack blocks. Not a "freud(ian) nether Jund(ist)" forum.
    Just stop it =D

If some player wish spread a cute bear talk around the game, up to them^^
    The fact is that none will change the human kind (sorry for the desagreement =° )

Just play or leave, but stop this ><

Super positive as per normal dread :P

Ok I'm going to try get my point across again.

We all have the right to voice our opinions, that's what I am doing.
    *Dread* said:

The fact is that none will change the human kind (sorry for the desagreement =° )

Just play or leave, but stop this ><

Won't change human kind ? Nelson Mandela stopped apartheid; Abraham Lincoln helped stop slavery; Martin Luther Kind was a Non-Violent civil rights leader. The list goes on and on mate. These people changed humankind in an unimaginable way.

The point is, a community like us, the players of Cubic Castles have the power to change all of these issues, the only catch is, they must want to do it.

And the "Just play or leave" part, quite a simple minded quote. The same could be said about scammers, thieves and everyone else who breaks the games rules. But the developers never said play or leave, they recruited moderators to help keep the community from falling into these bad habits.

People I don't want this to turn into a fight, that would contradict my whole post!
    Let's keep the peace.

• CD87CD87 Member
    edited July 2016

I absolutely agree to what you said there. However, we can't each every single realms/rooms, as bullies will still be there somewhere and bullies others. This is not a personal job, everyone must give us a hand to improve it. It's like climbing a cliff with your bare hands, you have to climb slowly or you'll fall.

And of course, some of them who are reading this will think that: "I don't care, I still bully, and you don't have the rights to make me stop, duh".

Afterall, saying is easier than doing. :)

Recap: Agree, but hard to achieve.

Where is the love? Hmm, right now, it's in a corner of the bottomless...
  • elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember
    edited July 2016
    This is totally right gollum, but in every game are the racists and such. So i just play the game and when they are shouting at someone i protect the one who is being shout at ;)
    "life is hard, the nice people make it tolerable"
    -elemental god 2016
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheTimManTheTimMan In Athena Shy's armsMember
    I am a Christian & I am very sad over how the whole world is full of hate, envy, jealousy, & greed. It is tearing us apart. In my Holy Bible there are ten commandments from God but only two are needed to bring the rest to fruition. 1. Love your God with all your heart, soul, & might. 2. Love your neighbor as you love yourself. If we do these two, we can't fail the rest of them.

There are nine fruits of the spirit & nine fruits of the flesh. Hate is a fruit of the flesh and can only be won over by love if we practice or nurture love. Think if it as two dogs. There is a wild mean nasty dog, and a gentle, quiet one. If they were to fight, which one will win? Answer; The one you feed.
    Thanks for sharing that with us Mr. Tim. But please may I ask that no one take this to heart if it offends you, religion causes a lot of fights, this is Tim's opinion, let him be <3
  • elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember
    Yeh myself i am a non beleaver, but tim is right. Just by loving you can overpower the hatred, and dont hate him because he begins about his beleaving ;)
    edited July 2016
    I'm starting to like Dread even more now.
    And Gdog arent you being hypocritical when you say "Everyone has a voice and freedom of speech" and yet you call my comment "the most defeatist and idiotic post I've read in awhile" ?
    I'm not saying that we should just shut up and take. In fact I quite meant the opposite. In our community we have the "Bad Guys", and EVERY SINGLE PLAYER knows that. Calling it out isnt really a game changer.
    The Slave nation isnt the same has we having bad players. Slavery existed becouse people couldnt really understand that everybody is important. They didnt use the Veil Of Ignorance. By using this method, the good people managed to win over the bad people. They did so by confronting theyr views in speachs, and those dont work that well on a game.
    Besides, there are way to many people saying it, and we still havent acomplised anything, becouse we cant.
  • Ome ROme R Member
    What? Ok I don't wana sound rude but what's this first the topic is about peace in the game/forums then I hear the story of gollem then I see a weird video o_O of a place I don't know where. Now I see historical names that changed mankind
    Why do you call it a black slave nation Gdog 0.0

• Athena ShyAthena Shy In TheTimMan's arms! Member
    Remo-z said:

What? Ok I don't wana sound rude but what's this first the topic is about peace in the game/forums then I hear the story of gollem then I see a weird video o_O of a place I don't know where. Now I see historical names that changed mankind
    Why do you call it a black slave nation Gdog 0.0

We weren't born with hate, & racism, we learned it. There have been a lot of people in history of all races and statuses try to focus on equality and the end to the things that separate us as a nation, and a world of one people. The human race. Please watch this video.
    https://www.facebook.com/OccupyDemocrats/videos/1182822125144173/
    TheTimMan said:

We weren't born with hate

Well... Kant wouldnt really say that, but what ever.

And she just said that "Everything you can learn, you can unlearn". Like WHAT?
    Second, she is purely reading what she is saying, if she indeed meant it from the heart, she wouldnt be reading.
    Third, this is now what we are talking about. We are talking about people being mean to each other, but not really in a racist way given that another player doesnt know what is your skin coulor. Hell idk what skin coulor Raphie and Lucaaa is, yet they are my best friends. Gdog just reminded us of slavery to make a point, but this isnt a topic about black history.

I think we should just drop the ball on this argument, I mean, I never seen mods arguing like this xD
  • Athena ShyAthena Shy In TheTimMan's arms! Member
    The 007 said:

TheTimMan said:

We weren't born with hate

Well... Kant wouldnt really say that, but what ever.

And she just said that "Everything you can learn, you can unlearn". Like WHAT?
    Second, she is purely reading what she is saying, if she indeed meant it from the heart, she wouldnt be reading.
    Third, this is now what we are talking about. We are talking about people being mean to each other, but not really in a racist way given that another player doesnt know what is your skin coulor. Hell idk what skin coulor Raphie and Lucaaa is, yet they are my best friends. Gdog just reminded us of slavery to make a point, but this isnt a topic about black history.

I think we should just drop the ball on this argument, I mean, I never seen mods arguing like this xD
    Brother, this isn't an argument, I don't see anyone arguing. I think everything that has been said was on topic.

At least here we all have one thing in common, we love Cubic Castles ♥

Love you all :)
    lunarisci said:

I don't feel like Gollum's intention of making this discussion is to gain attention and be praised by everyone

We already know there's a lot of... things in the world that neither you nor I can completely erase from society. But that doesn't mean we can't make an effort to diminish the negative effect it has on us.

In all honesty, I didn't even notice people behaving so poorly toward others in these forums

The first step in everything is addressing the situation; spreading awareness, bringing to the public's view the severity of the problem, thereby coming to the point of what can we do to prevent this from happening again

Now, yes, I have seen other people post discussions like these in the past. There is a general pattern I have noticed where I see people replying and agreeing with the owner of the discussion, but nothing noticeable ever happens

There's a difference between talking about the problem and taking action.

On another point I feel like some people can agree with me when, for example, you see a child jumping on a bed and you tell them, "Hey, stop, no, that's bad. You're going to get hurt." Do they actually stop just because you told them to stop? Most of the time, no. And that's the frustrating part. People are going to stick by what they think they know is right, and before it's too late, will suffer the consequences.

But by bringing light to the situation, you can rally other people that have the same opinion as you and stop that darn kid from breaking his/her neck by of your strength in numbers. This may or not seem relative to this entire discussion, but to me it does.

People may not even realize that they are hurting the person on the other side of the screen. They may not even realize that despite their intended purpose of lightening the mood, they just indirectly made everything worse. That, to me, is one of the worst feelings anyone can ever feel.

Yes, it does feel like these kinds of discussions can feel like ranting instead of trying to make a difference. But this is a place where people can give suggestions as to what we can do. Maybe it's making occasional PSAs, or dedicating a day or a week to anti-cyber-bullying. Either way, it's important that we actually take action instead of just ignoring the problem.

Sorry, I ended up ranting myself ;w; I hope a lot of this doesn't seem like unnecessary fluff and gets my point across.
    TL;DR: It may seem like these kinds of discussions are meaningless, but awareness is the first step. We need to stop waiting for something to magically solve our problems and take action ourselves. Wow that sounded cheesy We have to stop ourselves from having the mentality of, "Oh, there's no way we can stop discrimination in its entirely. We might as well not do anything and let it pass." Sure it's impossible to completely erase negative judgement towards others from our society, but we can at least make the effort to lessen it.

Very well put and not at all long winded or cheesy. If we don't try, we can't accomplish a darn thing. Each of us has a voice and someone might not see the answer if only a few of us speak up. If a more players speak up, the staff will no doubt make changes to keep the players happy, and to make necessary changes to ensure the peaceful nature of the game as it was intended. At no time is it a waste of time to voice our concerns of player attitude and actions if they fail to meet guidelines. CC staff felt side mining was wrong and too many players spoke up to effect a change. How much less important is the morality or bad attitudes of rude and hateful players?
    edited July 2016
    Unnecessary content removed - Gollum
  • So long texts...Anyways sad to hear what happens in South-Africa and in game. I don't get why people are racist...I really don't know. Anyways let's hope and try to make all things better now!