New Public Beta on Steam -- New Networking & Overworld 2

SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
IMPORTANT - THIS IS FOR EXPERIENCED PLAYERS ONLY - IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE GAME I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS

Ok. Lots to explain so before you use this beta please read carefully.

Why is this beta up? You might think its to test the new overworld system. We left that on so you can play with it and give some feedback, but the MAIN reason we're testing is something else entirely.

This version of the game uses a completely new/different networking system on both the client and server sides. There are 2 reasons for this..

1) We have not been able to post updates since Corona Quarantines started as the game always gets rejected. This is partly to do with the quarantines and how testers are accessing the game.

2) We have a new platform coming and it requires different networking so we were planning this move at some point later but were forced into implementing it now.

This is a dangerous change to go live with, but we have no choice. At least we can get a bunch of people on a beta server and see what comes up before we go live. If we don't make this change now we can't update the game. We already missed the April fool's update because of it. (we'll still put those items out just delayed) -- As well we had a quarantine event planned and that got delayed too.

So for those of you using steam who want to beta just do the things you normally would do and let us know here in this thread if you crash, or something weird happens etc... There's all kinds of bug potential with this so really anything could go wrong. Networking touches everything. With regards to Overworld bugs and feedback, I don't mind getting that too but really the main thing we need to test here is whether the new networking system is working well. Think of playing with the overworld stuff as a bonus. Note also that the beta server may be a bit slower than the live server as it's not on the same high end setup.

The new beta will be up on Steam shortly if it isn't already.

Also don't put a ton of effort into builds on that server as it will almost certainly be wiped back to an earlier state and everything you did will be erased. Also since it's a beta server your accounts wont work there. You need to make new accounts on that machine.

Comments

• hmmm
  • sure i'll try that :D
  • CrepusCrepus Member
    edited April 2020
    Edit: Cursor Bug
    Overworld water fadey and phantom foam bug
    Mine name rename bug

The cubit store can also freeze up at times, sometimes you can't do anything at all and have to wait for it.
  • nice
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    ONE ADDITIONAL NOTE -- Since this new server will probably crash etc.. sometimes. If you cant login just try again later. We'll be making fixes and updating it as we go. To play the regular game just switch back to the non beta branch in steam.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Please note -- the new beta is not up yet. Maybe in 1hr or so... Still working out some details.
  • Already set up?
  • GalaGala Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    edited April 2020
    Not yet, Maybe in 1 hour as Sirkew mentioned above.
  • cant wait :P
  • Wow finally
  • Alv'Alv' Member
    I will try.. quite excited tho
  • Pete.Pete. Member
    Anyway tell me how can you access the beta server? Im on steam btw.
    Right mouse click on cubic castles > properties> beta's
  • Pete.Pete. Member
    Galantis said:

Thanks ^^

• lucaaa795lucaaa795 Potatoe's worldMember
    I'll give it a try
  • Alv'Alv' Member
    edited April 2020
    Galantis said:

What about the code?

Edit : Fixed
  • Pete.Pete. Member
    Galantis said:

Its not letting me go in it says cubic castles is out of date?
    Pete. said:

Galantis said:

Please note -- the new beta is not up yet. Maybe in 1hr or so... Still working out some details.

• Pete.Pete. Member
    Galantis said:

Pete. said:

Galantis said:

ohh okay, i thought it was me!

• elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember
    so if i get it right we just start the game up via steam and then it throws us immediatly into beta? if thats so i dont know if thats so handy if it gets erased to an earlier version since everyone will have problems with that

i can be mistaken too though, so if i need to do something else to access the beta server i would like to hear it ^_^
  • so if i get it right we just start the game up via steam and then it throws us immediatly into beta? if thats so i dont know if thats so handy if it gets erased to an earlier version since everyone will have problems with that

i can be mistaken too though, so if i need to do something else to access the beta server i would like to hear it ^_^

Galantis said:

• this take soo long.. i cant wait xD
    OK It should be up now. Expect a lot of server crashing and difficulty connecting to it today as we fix bugs. If you keep hammering on it in a few days it should be stable.
  • Alv'Alv' Member
    edited April 2020
    Lopaiko said:

this take soo long.. i cant wait xD

Kewb still working on it, patient

Edit :

OK It should be up now. Expect a lot of server crashing and difficulty connecting to it today as we fix bugs. If you keep hammering on it in a few days it should be stable.

Still outdated?
  • Pete.Pete. Member
    Yea it says that to me also and when i try to make a new account it says 'you have made too many accounts'
  • For me it’s just stuck on finding server
  • Pete.Pete. Member

For me it’s just stuck on finding server

Did you join on a new account or the same as your one?
  • Disconnected?
  • Alv'Alv' Member
    Anyone help? I'm still at outdated..
  • Plastic HeartPlastic Heart Member
    edited April 2020
    Pete. said:

For me it’s just stuck on finding server

Did you join on a new account or the same as your one?
    Edit: works fine