Warning! Steam users...

GalaGala Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
edited February 2020 in General Chat
scorto7 lost control of his steam account...

For those who are friends with scorto7 on Steam, you will probably receive messages with a link that scorto7 has NOT written... It has to do with a hack issue, So do not accept any of those deals, once you follow it you lose control too.

Comments

• scorto7scorto7 BelgiumRetired Moderator
    He beat me to making a topic about this ... I can confirm what he said.
    Because of some reason i lost control of my steam account and they have since then used my account to promote their scam further.

If you see messages or some other content from me promoting some unknown link, report this directly to steam support and most definitely NOT follow any of those links!!!
  • GalaGala Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    edited February 2020
    Unfortunately, this problem does not only concern scorto7, I have met a player who clicked on the link and lost his steam account, so his account is also going to be used to reinforce their scam... So if you receive a link from someone, I would advise you not to open it.
  • scorto7 said:

Because of some reason i lost control of my steam account and they have since then used my account to promote their scam further.

If you see messages or some other content from me promoting some unknown link, report this directly to steam support and most definitely NOT follow any of those links!!!

Are you making a new steam account?
    JuIius said:

scorto7 said:

Are you making a new steam account?
    Not until i get some clarity in this matter. I want to know first what chances i have to regain my account and what is left of it after all that time in their hands.
  • I think this should have broadcast to in game
  • I think this should have broadcast to in game

Yep atleast for 1 week stays in broad cast
  • srry you lost your acc hope u get it back
    I am happy to report that my account has been recovered.
    I just reset my access info so i am safe again.
    Anyway, my agenda is pretty filled up this week so i will not be ingame until this fryday.

just letting you all know ;)
  • WhimsicalFireflyWhimsicalFirefly Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    Happy to hear you got it back!
    edited February 2020
    Most of you probably are now thinking about why I am turning someone else's problem into a discussion of me, that is not my intention... The intention is that I want to warn you about the link that has been going around.... Unfortunately there are several players who have clicked on the link with the result they experience the same thing... So if you click on the link, your account will be taken away and used to send the link further, I have also received links from some other players.

Glad that you got it back :)
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    how exactly did the scam work?
  • Whim's comment is gone in my screen ?
    edited February 2020

how exactly did the scam work?

It's a scam on Steam, you get a dm from a friend saying you won something. Once you click the link, your account is theirs. The attached screenshot is from something a friend sent. The message came from Scorto's Steam account. Hopefully Steam will get it under control before it gets too many people.

edited February 2020
    They use your account to spread such link once you clicked on it.... This is also another player who also clicked on the link.

• Advise people don't use steam for now , go use your playstore on mobile , i have been 5 months didn't use pc play CC already
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Well.. it seems like a major steam problem if merely clicking a link can take your account... Strange.

Advise people don't use steam for now , go use your playstore on mobile , i have been 5 months didn't use pc play CC already

Steam can be used to play games without a problem, it's just the normal warning to avoid clicking on unknown links, even if they come from your friends. This is not a new problem with the internet, people have been sending malicious links through email, websites and all different kinds of apps for years.
    edited February 2020
    They uses your friends dms, It making it more credible, especially if a staff was involved/used.
    There are steam scams going back years that steal accounts when I look online.. But it should be harder than getting you to click a link. If that's all it takes Steam has a big issue to look into. I couldn't find more news on it.
    edited February 2020
    I just spoke to a player who has clicked on it and lost his steam account... So if you click on the link where you should normally win a skin from another game, it leads you to a website of the game where everything seems legit, to win it you have to fill your steam account verification (account information) to get your skin. Then.... They steal your steam account and send the link to those who are on his friend-list.
    so basically just like the cubic hack sites :(
    Indeed... But the more it gets involved with cubic castles players, the more players from our community will get the link (from their friends) so actually this is much worse....

I suggest doing a temporarily system broadcast to inform the players of this.
  • edited February 2020
    These types of scams are always very, very discreet. Please always be aware of links that you are clicking on. Please please please, please! The internet is a dangerous place...
    galantis said:

I just spoke to a player who has clicked on it and lost his steam account... So if you click on the link where you should normally win a skin from another game, it leads you to a website of the game where everything seems legit, to win it you have to fill your steam account verification (account information) to get your skin. Then.... They steal your steam account and send the link to those who are on his friend-list.

That is oretty much what happened to me and sorry for not giving more explabation about it. I lost my grandfather. Tgerefore my mind was already not completely on it and i clicked the link from a long lasting gaming friend who chats using the same words as the scam message was written. That combination made me a little careless and opened thedoor for them to use my account.
    Anyway, i got lucky to get my account back so fast.