Why?

Why is it that I play Csgo, Siege, etc. with the highest possible graphics and get an average of 170-200 FPS. But I load up cubic castles and go to a realm like CVLC Collection and get 5 FPS?

Comments

• The servers are ummm
    Not as good let’s say.
  • JuIius said:

The servers are ummm
    Not as good let’s say.

Even so, I shouldn't be getting less them 30fps in any realms.

Also, is there a reason why cc is capped at 75 fps?
    @SirKewberth
  • Maybe the fps is locked to fix an exploit, or the servers dictate fps. Idk im not a developer. Well techicly i made some games but nevermind
  • Bump
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Games like csgo etc... are pre-designed. It's not anything goes. If csgo decided to throw lots and lots of transparent items that overlap in their level design they could start to slow down even modern graphics cards and cpus, because every frame you'd have to sort through all transparent items to know the order to draw them in. (as one possibility) So lets say you need to sort 10k transparent items PER FRAME. That's obviously slow. I'm not sure what the specific issue is with the realms that are causing problems for you, but the nature of this game where you can do whatever design, can lead to scenarios that are not optimal. And it's unclear where the bottleneck is. It can be transferring mem from to the card. It can be sorting. It can be many things. So even if the gpu is not being stressed, a bottleneck elsewhere can slow the whole frame. If I designed a game with specific level designs, I can always keep things reasonable. In a game with user created content... to some extent its up to the players. Of course there could also be just random bugs and issues we're unaware of that cause more slowdown than they should.
  • Games like csgo etc... are pre-designed. It's not anything goes. If csgo decided to throw lots and lots of transparent items that overlap in their level design they could start to slow down even modern graphics cards and cpus, because every frame you'd have to sort through all transparent items to know the order to draw them in. (as one possibility) So lets say you need to sort 10k transparent items PER FRAME. That's obviously slow. I'm not sure what the specific issue is with the realms that are causing problems for you, but the nature of this game where you can do whatever design, can lead to scenarios that are not optimal. And it's unclear where the bottleneck is. It can be transferring mem from to the card. It can be sorting. It can be many things. So even if the gpu is not being stressed, a bottleneck elsewhere can slow the whole frame. If I designed a game with specific level designs, I can always keep things reasonable. In a game with user created content... to some extent its up to the players. Of course there could also be just random bugs and issues we're unaware of that cause more slowdown than they should.

That explains why my 18k seekers lag the realm lol.
  • Games like csgo etc... are pre-designed. It's not anything goes. If csgo decided to throw lots and lots of transparent items that overlap in their level design they could start to slow down even modern graphics cards and cpus, because every frame you'd have to sort through all transparent items to know the order to draw them in. (as one possibility) So lets say you need to sort 10k transparent items PER FRAME. That's obviously slow. I'm not sure what the specific issue is with the realms that are causing problems for you, but the nature of this game where you can do whatever design, can lead to scenarios that are not optimal. And it's unclear where the bottleneck is. It can be transferring mem from to the card. It can be sorting. It can be many things. So even if the gpu is not being stressed, a bottleneck elsewhere can slow the whole frame. If I designed a game with specific level designs, I can always keep things reasonable. In a game with user created content... to some extent its up to the players. Of course there could also be just random bugs and issues we're unaware of that cause more slowdown than they should.

Ah that makes sense. Do you think there’s any settings you could add to help? Like maybe a setting that stops floating items from bobbing up and down so they would act like the cut rose? Or maybe a decreased textures option?

Because I have a very good computer, and I have to wonder how bad it can get for others if mine is getting down to 5 FPS in some realms.
    @SirKewberth
  • Maybe try level of detail to floating objects
  • Azsimuth said:

Maybe try level of detail to floating objects

Or maybe the level of detail for mannequins? Mannequins tend to be laggy.
  • Anybody with a good enough pc shouldnt be playing this game
  • Anybody with a good enough pc shouldnt be playing this game

I bought my pc just to play cc. ;)
  • That intriques me
    Have you ever played whats called an "open World rpg"?
  • That intriques me
    Have you ever played whats called an "open World rpg"?

Mhm, I play a lot of games. But mostly just cc.
  • Youre missing out on alot
  • My computer is a kinda slow one, but a game like half life 2 runs perfectly. Yes it's an old game, but Valve optimised it, so everyone could enjoy it. Maybe optimise cc aswell in some shape or form
  • 'Dragon' said:

Games like csgo etc... are pre-designed. It's not anything goes. If csgo decided to throw lots and lots of transparent items that overlap in their level design they could start to slow down even modern graphics cards and cpus, because every frame you'd have to sort through all transparent items to know the order to draw them in. (as one possibility) So lets say you need to sort 10k transparent items PER FRAME. That's obviously slow. I'm not sure what the specific issue is with the realms that are causing problems for you, but the nature of this game where you can do whatever design, can lead to scenarios that are not optimal. And it's unclear where the bottleneck is. It can be transferring mem from to the card. It can be sorting. It can be many things. So even if the gpu is not being stressed, a bottleneck elsewhere can slow the whole frame. If I designed a game with specific level designs, I can always keep things reasonable. In a game with user created content... to some extent its up to the players. Of course there could also be just random bugs and issues we're unaware of that cause more slowdown than they should.

Ah that makes sense. Do you think there’s any settings you could add to help? Like maybe a setting that stops floating items from bobbing up and down so they would act like the cut rose? Or maybe a decreased textures option?

Because I have a very good computer, and I have to wonder how bad it can get for others if mine is getting down to 5 FPS in some realms.
    @SirKewberth
    @SirKewberth
  • elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember
    'Dragon' said:

'Dragon' said:

@SirKewberth
    @SirKewberth
    as far as i know its cc based and not entirely pc based, because i have a very bad laptop and i have the same problems as people with good pc's, basically if they have 5 fps i have 5 fps too... so my idea is its not about the ram in your pc but the trouble of the game needing to send a lot of mb constantly to the servers, could also be the problem of your internet (if you claim to have fast internet too then please show me a pic, i wanna know what you then define as fast)
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    There are a lot of possible bottlenecks in realms. Graphics, network, cpu etc.. and the slowdown in any particular realm will depend on what that realm's designer did. In a game like half life or any game with pre-designed levels -- you can optimize the graphics for slower machines by removing details, reducing scenery etc.. but in CC we don't decide on the scenery. The players do. So the traditional route to optimize a level doesn't work. With regards to the lower end graphics code itself, cc is already highly optimised. We don't, for instance, draw any blocks that are hidden. There are many other things we do that are too technical for this thread, but while it may not be 100% as good as it can be, the rendering in cc is simple enough that there's very little we could change in the code to improve that. I doubt the bottlenecks you guys are running into on high end pcs are graphics though. They're probably related more to item sorting and network traffic.