Add a game setting to turn off censorship.

So when this setting is turned on, any curse words said in game won’t be censored. Any person who has it turned off, will still see the words censored. I think if this option was added, there would be little to none people bypassing the filter. Because they can just turn off the filter, and talk to anyone else who is fine with curse words. While anyone who does not like curse words, can keep the filter on, and never have to see them. This setting can also be in parental controls.

Comments

• I personally agree with this. +1
  • They can prob exploit it, and i support the idea, but don't think it will happen.
  • I really like this +1
  • Azsimuth said:

They can prob exploit it, and i support the idea, but don't think it will happen.

Not really, as long as the developers make it correctly.
  • b3achyb3achy Member
    edited September 2019
    Good grief...just NO x 10000.

Last thing I want to see is @!@^ $^&^!*#^!( !^@&;*^!# !%*!^@! constantly in my chat because I have the censor filter on...because I don't want to see foul language.

People should be treating others politely and that includes in the words we use to address each other.
  • b3achy said:

Last thing I want to see is @!@^ $^&^!*#^!( !^@&;*^!# !%*!^@! constantly in my chat because I have the censor filter on...because I don't want to see foul language.

People should be treating others politely and that includes in the words we use to address each other.

That’s the entire reason why you would still have it censored. You don’t want to see the curse words, so you leave it censored. It’s simple.

Let me mention. If someone wants to address someone with a curse word, they are already doing it. Adding this feature would not change the amount of people that say “@&;$& you” at all. If anything, it will lessen the amount of people that bypass the filter. Because they will just turn off the filter, and won’t bypass it. Meaning the people who leave the filter on, will see far less curse words then they do with the current chat.
  • 'Dragon' said:

b3achy said:

That’s the entire reason why you would still have it censored. You don’t want to see the curse words, so you leave it censored. It’s simple.

Let me mention. If someone wants to address someone with a curse word, they are already doing it. Adding this feature would not change the amount of people that say “@&;$& you” at all. If anything, it will lessen the amount of people that bypass the filter. Because they will just turn off the filter, and won’t bypass it. Meaning the people who leave the filter on, will see far less curse words then they do with the current chat.
    Or what if the feature of cussing is censoring out the word in front and ahead that way people wouldn’t know which cuss word you said
  • If you remove the censor option, that means you are allowing people to curse in the game. Which means I'd see a lot more cursing since it would now be allowed...so even if I have the censor option turned on, I'd just see stupid streams of *!(&#@*(&;)!*) from those not mature enough to communicate with real words.

Right now people know they aren't supposed to curse...so only those that are intentionally trying to avoid the censor are doing it, and when caught they get banned. The system works just fine as is.

Also, if you allow cursing, you will have to ban all children from playing probably even with the censor option. If the devs are insane enough to allow it, I hope they give me an option to NEVER have global chat open because it will now be useless to me with streams of just (&(#&@$*(@&;)(*&.
  • Despite CC being a child's game at heart, most older players and the people that buy cubits are adults or teenagers by now. I think there could be a way to turn off the censor with parental controls by an email confirmation, so children that stumble upon it or have their older friends in game that tell them would have to either create an email or ask their parents. Lots of teenagers and adults curse and some aren't comfortable with it but that's the point of leaving the filter/censor on.
    To take it one step further, somewhere on the screen or the chat could be an icon that shows that the censor is off so when people send in screenshots of someone cursing, the mods will know and no one can be falsely accused of bypassing the filter. This would probably stop a lot of people from being muted/banned and take a load off the mods (They would only have to focus on racism/homophobia/bullying for the chat side of game and the occasional bypass of someone wanting to be banned/muted).
    It's a good idea for older players and I won't lie, there are times that I come back to CC after a long break and I type in "What the $%&@" at something, only to remember that there is a censor on this game unlike others I play.
    So +1, I would support this update.
  • WhimsicalFireflyWhimsicalFirefly Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    I wonder what something like this would do to the age rating. It's 12+ right now but I think even with an optional filter they would have to raise it to 17+ if they allow profanity. If the devs want to turn this into a game for teens and adults I guess that could work but reality is that it appeals to the younger crowd more than the older so something like this could kill the game.
  • I wonder what something like this would do to the age rating. It's 12+ right now but I think even with an optional filter they would have to raise it to 17+ if they allow profanity. If the devs want to turn this into a game for teens and adults I guess that could work but reality is that it appeals to the younger crowd more than the older so something like this could kill the game.

“Please confirm your age to turn off the filter”.
    Even with that they still have to go with the higher age. Look at all the M rated games that have settings where you can turn things off or censor. They go by the uncensored unfiltered level.
  • 'Dragon''Dragon' Member
    edited September 2019

Even with that they still have to go with the higher age. Look at all the M rated games that have settings where you can turn things off or censor. They go by the uncensored unfiltered level.

Good example: Clash of Clans is rated 9+. They have an option to turn off the chat filter.

But yeah, don’t get me wrong. You are right that it could change the age requirement. But, there is ways around it.

But, I believe most of the community is more mature then most of us realize. I personally believe over 50% are mature players.
    I would have agreed with your view on the age of players until this year. I have discovered that we have a lot more under 13 players than I ever thought we did. I'm also going to guess that your view of "mature" is different from mine. lol
  • HONEY BOMBHONEY BOMB Member
    edited September 2019
    I would say +1 cuz there're many teenagers who like to swear and we can't enforce them to stop swearing oh well only if that is bullycase we have to deal with , swearing in life just getting common in real life
  • I would say +1 cuz there're many teenagers who like to swear and we can't enforce them to stop swearing oh well only if that is bullycase we have to deal with , swearing in life just getting common in real life

Yes. Swearing is very very common in real life.
    So is bullying and hate
  • 'Dragon' said:

I would say +1 cuz there're many teenagers who like to swear and we can't enforce them to stop swearing oh well only if that is bullycase we have to deal with , swearing in life just getting common in real life

Yes. Swearing is very very common in real life.
    Unfortonatley. Not saying they should stop it all together, but i know people who put swear words in every second sentence they say.
  • So is bullying and hate

I’m confused how bullying is related to cursing? Bullying would still be against the rules even if this option was added.
  • 'Dragon' said:

So is bullying and hate

I’m confused how bullying is related to cursing? Bullying would still be against the rules even if this option was added.
    I think she means it's common too. I can relate to that. ---> points at class
    I was just making a comparison for the comments about how swearing is common so it should be ok to do in game. Using the argument that it's common in real life so it should be allowed in the game is a faulty one.I know people swear, it's all around us every day but that doesn't make it acceptable in every situation and everywhere you go. You should have two ways of talking, one that you use when you are around friends and say whatever you want and the other that you use when you are around people you don't really know, people you know that are offended by that kind of language or in a professional setting.

I've seen talk about how this will make the mods job easier. It would very likely increase the number of verbal attacks on players. Right now people have to filter their anger and find other words, which usually slows them down, or they just rage quit and come back later after they calm down. If we open the gates, we could end up muting and warning even more people for verbal attacks. A change like this would be very difficult to moderate. Even if there was some indication by your name of your filter status, we would end up with tons of reports and have to analyze each one. Is it just general swearing?, is it bullying?, is it inappropriate?, is it racist?, is it offensive?, do they have the filter off or on?, did they intentionally misspell that word to bypass so the kids could see it?, etc. For each report we would have to analyze every word in the chat, determining each players filter status, whether the words were used appropriately and then defending our decisions to mute or warn someone that had the filter off. That would not be easier than the current process. People already complain the community has too many toxic people, you let them swear and that won't get better.

Sorry this got so long. It was not my intention to even get involved in this conversation but I guess I broke my own rule.
  • I was just making a comparison for the comments about how swearing is common so it should be ok to do in game. Using the argument that it's common in real life so it should be allowed in the game is a faulty one.I know people swear, it's all around us every day but that doesn't make it acceptable in every situation and everywhere you go. You should have two ways of talking, one that you use when you are around friends and say whatever you want and the other that you use when you are around people you don't really know, people you know that are offended by that kind of language or in a professional setting.

I've seen talk about how this will make the mods job easier. It would very likely increase the number of verbal attacks on players. Right now people have to filter their anger and find other words, which usually slows them down, or they just rage quit and come back later after they calm down. If we open the gates, we could end up muting and warning even more people for verbal attacks. A change like this would be very difficult to moderate. Even if there was some indication by your name of your filter status, we would end up with tons of reports and have to analyze each one. Is it just general swearing?, is it bullying?, is it inappropriate?, is it racist?, is it offensive?, do they have the filter off or on?, did they intentionally misspell that word to bypass so the kids could see it?, etc. For each report we would have to analyze every word in the chat, determining each players filter status, whether the words were used appropriately and then defending our decisions to mute or warn someone that had the filter off. That would not be easier than the current process. People already complain the community has too many toxic people, you let them swear and that won't get better.

Sorry this got so long. It was not my intention to even get involved in this conversation but I guess I broke my own rule.

Any reports given with the chat filter turned off can immediately be disregarded. If they they turn off their chat filter, they are giving up the right to report someone for cursing. That’s their choice.
    'Dragon' said:

So is bullying and hate

^^^
  • 'Dragon' said:

So is bullying and hate

^^^
    That’s not what I meant, but ok.
  • Ok so I don't like this idea and a lot of it revolves around everything Whim has been saying. This game incorporates a lot rules that you would find in real life. Like a working environment or school. There is a certain level of etiquette that is required especially in situations that deal with speaking to others. I see no reason to include a feature that would allow others, regardless of age to "side step" a rule. Unless developers design something along with it that requires a show of proof that you are of age to no longer need a parents consent for something that is essentially rated M for mature (which foul language or cussing falls under). that would basically mean you would have provide cc with an id card and that is just a whole lot of unnecessary nonsense for developers to have to go through.
  • My 2 cents so for starters if your worried about seeing “@#$&;#@“ then I wouldn’t be to worried I think they would keep it how it is where is just shows a blank instead. I mean I admit I cuss sometimes (not the best habit) but I don’t think this should be allowed if they are targeting the game to younger people which it seems they are. Even with the option to turn it off/on kids can be very innocent/curious so they may turn it on just wondering and see all these words and get the wrong idea. For example my sister one time saw the f-word and thought it was an abbreviation for firetruck. All in all I would rather this not be added because of the trouble it might cause. Wanna speak freely? Just go to discord.