New Role

Hello Cubic Castles, Chickenlips and I have thought of an idea to make a new role like admin and mod. This role is called ‘Helper’ and their main purpose in the game is to help people. I strongly believe that this role will dramatically help and improve the gaming experience.

I think that to make it an easy way to find these ‘Helpers’ we should add a portal in the lobby that leads to the ‘’Helpers’ Headquarters. I have also thought that because a lot of people will try and go to these ‘Helpers’ mostly about scamming and all of this could be fake and a waste of time. So, to enter the portal you write a message and then the ‘Helper’ will read these messages and decide whose problem is not fake and is a big problem. Then the ‘Helper’ will let the person inside the headquarters but they will be restricted in the specific ‘Helper’ that decided to let the person inside his/hers area. I also think that these ‘Helpers’ should be chosen out of his/her loyalty to Cubic Castles and their reputation. I believe that these ‘Helpers’ should get a command button that gives them a specific item for the main purpose to give to the scammed. I trust that you, the developers of Cubic Castles should chose trustworthy people for this role.

I believe that this role will be a big impact on the Cubic Castle Community and will benefit it. I personally think that I wish when I started Cubic Castle’s I had someone to help me with these issues as Mods and Admins usually don’t talk to people.

My inspiration for this role is from Chickenlips as when I was a noob in Cubic Castles I had gotten scammed of my tip piggy and I had told Chickenlips and he decided that I was a worthwhile person to use his precious time for him to investigate about this small scam. He investigated this scam and had found that this person was a scammer and gave me a tip piggy from his collection.

I nominate Chickenlips to be the first person to be a ‘Helper’ as he truly fits the role!

I hope you consider this suggestion because I know that it will benefit and improve the gaming experience.

Kind Regards

FoxAura

Comments

• I agree with what ur saying but I would love to be a helper also but yes I nominate Chickenlips
  • Yeah, hopefully Cubic Castles will consider this role and add it!
  • We used to have people who were "Greeters" in another game I played - originally it was organized by players in the game who would stand at the 'starter' locations to ask new players if they needed help, but eventually the role became part of the game.

When the devs made them an actual role in the game, they introduced a 'summoning stick' as part of a new players' items and it could be used once to summon a greeter. Anyone who was designated a greeter got an in game notification that a new player needed them and one or two would transport to that player (often while they were still in the tutorial world) and answer questions and welcome them to the game.

Some of the greeters would even provide a small care bag of random items (out of their own stuff) for the new player to get them started (but we already get the equivalent in our starter realms). But we had small and large bags that we used to hold inventory items in that game.
  • DaDoggyDaDoggy Member
    edited March 2019
    Helpers = The report button but in person.
    Basically, without anyone there, there would not be any help. And there would not be helpers there 24/7.
    Also without proof, you get nowhere with either.
  • Most of the time, reporting does not help
  • FoxAura said:

Most of the time, reporting does not help

That is my point. Helpers would not be as reliable either. It would be "you talk to them with 'proof' (example: a picture of you saying "they scammed me") and them saying 'sorry, cannot do anything without actual proof'"
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    Cortana had a Helping Center. It went pretty well with Horus and Cortana leading it. But, I can’t say how well it will go without a moderator leader. If a moderator agreed to lead this, then why not.
  • noentnoent Member
    I came up with this idea in the past, Nobody really supported this, Its nice to see peopls like it.
  • FoxAura said:

Most of the time, reporting does not help

If a report doesn't do anything, contact a mod directly through the forums or discord.
  • CD87CD87 Member
    U said:

Cortana had a Helping Center. It went pretty well with Horus and Cortana leading it. But, I can’t say how well it will go without a moderator leader. If a moderator agreed to lead this, then why not.

I agree, that was pretty effective (and filled with fun)

I'd say the lead of several moderators (or an admin, but they've had loads of works already) is the key to make this work.
  • HispanoHispano Member
    edited March 2019
    @SirKewberth we really need this, kewberth, just think about that the scams will be less also with less scammers there will be more players :)
  • DoodleDogDoodleDog Member
    edited March 2019
    I love this idea! I think that lonely_island would be a great helper, but I would also want to be one :p
    FoxAura said:

I believe that these ‘Helpers’ should get a command button that gives them a specific item for the main purpose to give to the scammed.

That would be abused though.
    Oh and why not mention the devs? @SirKewberth
  • If this was an idea (I think it is cool because it can help people on the spot, but still is a report button) I would nominate... (probably me), and... idk honestly.
  • PartyParty Member
    CD87 said:

U said:

I agree, that was pretty effective (and filled with fun)

I'd say the lead of several moderators (or an admin, but they've had loads of works already) is the key to make this work.
    It would need to be lead by at least a mod. I don't see this becoming a thing really though. I would rather have a trustworthy run system of helping new players. Some what @b3achy was saying wasn't a bad idea.
  • WhimsicalFireflyWhimsicalFirefly Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    If you want to help people you don't need to wait for a special role or colorful tag. Anyone can go to the lobby and find a need to fill. Truly new players are not interested in getting a rare item, a car or a pet, the most they want is a shirt, pants or a basic tool. Most of them are trying to find quest locations or advice, where to mine certain resources, how to craft an item, how to earn cubits, etc. All easy things for an average player to help with.

Another way you can help everyone is to educate them on how to avoid scams. Tell them not to give anyone trust in their realm, not to drop items for someone to show them off or prove trust, to never buy or accept a 'free" deed, portal or room, always buy items with a register or vend, always read the confirmation window when they are buying things, never buy items from a rental plot, and that if the holla sounds like an amazing deal it's probably a scam (those are some of the most common scams and many start in the lobby). Scammers are going to keep scamming but if we can educate the community we would have a lot less scam reports to review and deal with.

You can also teach players how to report a problem by using the in game reporting, the forums or CC Discord. Tell them that screenshots (with /time) of conversations and the scammer's room helps the mods take action against the scammer. One of the biggest problems is that people don't report at all or the report just says "scam" or "he's a scammer". We need details and proof in order to understand the issue and do something about it. And yes, we need proof, you wouldn't want us banning you just because someone falsely accused you of scamming them. Reporting does work, just because you don't see us working doesn't mean we aren't.

If we want CC to grow, then we need to make the new qbees feel welcome and introduce them to the fun side of the game and the friendly side of the community. If they see that rather than the negatives maybe they will stick around.

Sorry this got so long, I guess I had a lot to say.
  • If you want to help people you don't need to wait for a special role or colorful tag. Anyone can go to the lobby and find a need to fill. Truly new players are not interested in getting a rare item, a car or a pet, the most they want is a shirt, pants or a basic tool. Most of them are trying to find quest locations or advice, where to mine certain resources, how to craft an item, how to earn cubits, etc. All easy things for an average player to help with.

Another way you can help everyone is to educate them on how to avoid scams. Tell them not to give anyone trust in their realm, not to drop items for someone to show them off or prove trust, to never buy or accept a 'free" deed, portal or room, always buy items with a register or vend, always read the confirmation window when they are buying things, never buy items from a rental plot, and that if the holla sounds like an amazing deal it's probably a scam (those are some of the most common scams and many start in the lobby). Scammers are going to keep scamming but if we can educate the community we would have a lot less scam reports to review and deal with.

You can also teach players how to report a problem by using the in game reporting, the forums or CC Discord. Tell them that screenshots (with /time) of conversations and the scammer's room helps the mods take action against the scammer. One of the biggest problems is that people don't report at all or the report just says "scam" or "he's a scammer". We need details and proof in order to understand the issue and do something about it. And yes, we need proof, you wouldn't want us banning you just because someone falsely accused you of scamming them. Reporting does work, just because you don't see us working doesn't mean we aren't.

If we want CC to grow, then we need to make the new qbees feel welcome and introduce them to the fun side of the game and the friendly side of the community. If they see that rather than the negatives maybe they will stick around.

Couldn't have put it better myself
  • If you want to help people you don't need to wait for a special role or colorful tag. Anyone can go to the lobby and find a need to fill. Truly new players are not interested in getting a rare item, a car or a pet, the most they want is a shirt, pants or a basic tool. Most of them are trying to find quest locations or advice, where to mine certain resources, how to craft an item, how to earn cubits, etc. All easy things for an average player to help with.

Well I am already set :3! (a few of my friends are friends i meet via helping them with quests)
  • b3achyb3achy Member
    edited March 2019
    Exactly what @WhimsicalFirefly said so well!

That was also my point...that is how greeters started in the other game - by the players, and eventually it became incorporated by the devs when they saw value in it. I think something more like greeters who provide helpful info to newbies would be better than being an alternate to the official abuse report system, where the volunteer helpers would have zero ability to do anything with abuse/scam reports because only admin/devs or mods can do anything to the problem player.

This is a sandbox game. If you want to do something to help the game...no one is stopping you. Don't wait for the devs to do it all for you...help build the game to be the game you want it to be by being the player you want to see in the game, and providing fun opportunities for or helping other players in the game.

In my other sandbox games, most of the players had an attitude of paying it forward or practicing random acts of kindness. Rather than waiting on the devs to release a pack or have an event to keep them entertained, the players were the ones who came up with events or did nice things for the others players in game. That's sort of the point of a sandbox game...you have the ability to participate in providing fun and innovative opportunities for yourself and others.
  • I do agree with everyone’s opinions they are great ideas. Can anyone invite me to this discord? I would love to join the community.
  • FoxAura said:

I do agree with everyone’s opinions they are great ideas. Can anyone invite me to this discord? I would love to join the community.

The CC discord is in a link in the community tab on the forums.
  • Thank you! Much appreciated.
  • b3achy said:

We used to have people who were "Greeters" in another game I played - originally it was organized by players in the game who would stand at the 'starter' locations to ask new players if they needed help, but eventually the role became part of the game.

When the devs made them an actual role in the game, they introduced a 'summoning stick' as part of a new players' items and it could be used once to summon a greeter. Anyone who was designated a greeter got an in game notification that a new player needed them and one or two would transport to that player (often while they were still in the tutorial world) and answer questions and welcome them to the game.

Some of the greeters would even provide a small care bag of random items (out of their own stuff) for the new player to get them started (but we already get the equivalent in our starter realms). But we had small and large bags that we used to hold inventory items in that game.

What game is this?
  • sdgamez3 said:

b3achy said:

We used to have people who were "Greeters" in another game I played - originally it was organized by players in the game who would stand at the 'starter' locations to ask new players if they needed help, but eventually the role became part of the game.

What game is this?
    It's a long ago (Dec 2012) shut down game called Glitch by TinySpeck (shut down due to investor over-inflated ROI expectations, not due to lack of players or quality of the game). If you've ever used Slack or Flickr, it was developed by the same folks. Since TinySpeck put most of the game resources into the Creative License / Public Domain realm, there are a couple of remakes of the game in progress, but neither are fully functional yet. It was a 2d side scroller sandbox game rather than a 3d MMO. We had a good community, and always had a lot of fun.
  • b3achy said:

sdgamez3 said:

b3achy said:

What game is this?
    It's a long ago (Dec 2012) shut down game called Glitch by TinySpeck (shut down due to investor over-inflated ROI expectations, not due to lack of players or quality of the game). If you've ever used Slack or Flickr, it was developed by the same folks. Since TinySpeck put most of the game resources into the Creative License / Public Domain realm, there are a couple of remakes of the game in progress, but neither are fully functional yet. It was a 2d side scroller sandbox game rather than a 3d MMO. We had a good community, and always had a lot of fun.
    So this was the first GrowTopia/Pixel worlds?
  • Timberton said:

b3achy said:

sdgamez3 said:

b3achy said:

What game is this?
    So this was the first GrowTopia/Pixel worlds?
    No, not pixelated. Google it, you'll find all the info on the game including pictures as it still has a website even though the game shut down 6+ years ago. It was a cute whimsical world. Not really like anything I've seen since.
  • Marlboro ManMarlboro Man Member
    edited March 2019
    Ok. First of all. If this “Helper rank” was ever added I wouldn’t even consider giving them a command allowing them to spawn in any hat. This can easily be used to abused.I think moderators themselves should just have that command instead of helpers. Senior moderators as a matter of fact
    -1... If there is gonna be a helper role the only command i’d Grant would be
    Mute/cloak/uncloak literally.

There are a lot of adults that play this game. Most stay in hiding to keep out of player disputes and stay out of kids way.. Chickenlips would be a good candidate for this helper command. But it would take sometimes for the admins to even create this command. And then also spending time looking for forums moderators/in game moderators/ helpers

There are some moderators that really need to be put on the inactive list and retired list. SirKew does most of the hiring of the staff team. At this point i’d Hire a moderator to have the ability to hire other moderators. But the ability to be used once in a blue moon. It takes time for admins to trust someone to have powers.

Another thing to point out is that we need a new leading moderator. All of us know that Horus isn’t really here that much. To a certain extent there should be a lead moderator.

To put this in a perspective everyone can understand. Moderators are like screws and adding helpers would also be an example of a screw. They get dull over time.. Of being harassed and what not.

Helpers really.... as I said before. These people who would be selected would be limited. And then when it has to come to a situation we’re moderators can onñy deal with the problem, not much use after all. If they do add this role. I’d only suggest adding 2 helpers. Really. Only 2