Can we do another comic contest?

Comments

• +1
  • I agree. We only had one official one before; it was a fresh idea and I always wished they'd do more.
    +1
  • +1
  • Even though my comics were weird, I vote yes
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    It was a pretty fun one.. we got a lot of cool entries.
  • lucaaa795lucaaa795 Potatoe's worldMember

You know what's funnier? An in-game event such as a parkour or maze or puzzle.
  • lucaaa795 said:

Those are old and you win Alot.
  • -1. As activity section has debated we know a winner before it even starts... also why not focus on ingame events rather than non- cc ingame related things..
    edited March 2019

lucaaa795 said:

At least it gives a chance to 90% of the community to compete and win. Unlike drawing/writing which include less than 5% of the active community.
    Also if we'd have art contests, "and you win Alot." quoting you.
    Everyone can get better at parkouring. You dont need some special tablet or pen or touchpad. Same goes for puzzles and mazes. Heck, mazes are fair for all because its just your luck if you get stuck or make it to the finish line
    Who even came with the idea of hosting such an event in the first place...
  • lucaaa795 said:

lucaaa795 said:

At least it gives a chance to 90% of the community to compete and win. Unlike drawing/writing which include less than 5% of the active community.
    Everyone can get better at parkouring. You dont need some special tablet or pen or touchpad. Same goes for puzzles and mazes. Heck, mazes are fair for all because its just your luck if you get stuck or make it to the finish line
    Lucca it already has been done in 2018 or 2017. Also, By chance you win Alot. And no, you don't need a drawing tablet I just use my phone.

lucaaa795 said:

lucaaa795 said:

Lucca it already has been done in 2018 or 2017. Also, By chance you win Alot. And no, you don't need a drawing tablet I just use my phone.
    You still need skills. And frankly, it's far easier to learn how to jump from one block to another than to draw mona lisa on your smartphone.
    Ive won a lot (although have I?) because I was active and I joined every single event that wasn't writing/drawing. It's chance, not skill. Chance is far better than skill for those that are not-that-great in whatever the domain is. It does let more people join in and try their luck.
    I don't say no to a comic contest. I like them, but having one this year would be too close to the other one. Give it some time. Meanwhile, we all can yell at the developers to bring more fair for all events in-game
  • JackFuryJackFury Member
    edited March 2019
    lucaaa795 said:

lucaaa795 said:

lucaaa795 said:

You still need skills. And frankly, it's far easier to learn how to jump from one block to another than to draw mona lisa on your smartphone.
    Ive won a lot (although have I?) because I was active and I joined every single event that wasn't writing/drawing. It's chance, not skill. Chance is far better than skill for those that are not-that-great in whatever the domain is. It does let more people join in and try their luck.
    I don't say no to a comic contest. I like them, but having one this year would be too close to the other one. Give it some time. Meanwhile, we all can yell at the developers to bring more fair for all events in-game
    You do bring some interesting points to the table. However, I have to remind you that there are no "fair for all" events. What about the people who are great at art and writing but are terrible at parkour? By your standards, that's not fair. And you say anyone can get better at parkour; this is true. You know what else? Everyone can get better at drawing/writing too. It just takes learning and practice. Sure, some people have a natural affinity, but then again, some have a natural affinity for parkour and mazes.

There is no such thing as a "fair for all" event. Everyone has a different skillset and finds some things easy that others find difficult or some things hard that others find easy. That's why the best solution is simply to have a wide variety of events.

So yes, another comic content would be nice. Don't try to use the argument "only the artists can participate" because art is a skill anyone can pick up. Even then, you don't have to be a good artist to make a funny or creative comic.

I do not believe in participation trophies, I don't believe in everything being "fair," and to me it looks like you're only pushing for parkour events because you yourself are good at parkour and not art. It's fine to have those certain skills, but then again, there are others who don't.

You get ahead in life by learning new things and acquiring new skills. Yes, I'm aware that I've won 3 poem contests in a row. Thing is, Fremy has been winning every single art contest recently. Why? Because his art is amazing. If Space were to disqualify him from winning even if he had the best one simply because he "won too much," that would be inherently wrong. I'm not ashamed to admit that his art is far better than mine and he deserves to win. But I don't see people whining about him winning. Ed won a lot of building contests because he's good at building. That's just how it works.

There is no fairness across the board.
  • ^
    I'd love to see comic contest come back. It doesn't matter if you win... isn't the point to have fun? Who cares if you win. I had fun making a love poem, even though I didn't even submit it.
    edited March 2019
    Art is a crossover from real life.
    You may have drawing experience and be the greatest in your class. However, you do not learn/exprience mazes or parkour in real life. And even if you do parkour, it's something completely different.
    There may be no "fair for all" events. However, some events are fairer than others. Can a comic made in microsoft paint made with a mouse compete with one made in a good software made with a stylish pen? Definetly and absolutely not.
    I do keep my point up nonetheless: Learning to jump from block to block is much easier than learning to draw and be good at it. Even if you suck at parkouring, you still have (usually) an entire week to finish a simple event (space doesnt host extreme contests that are only for the tip of the pyramid - at least in-game)
    You can re-do a part of some parkour as many times as you want, so that in the end you slam on the trophybumper and gain a chance to win. Now, art/writing contests usually have the same winners. Now that's because the judge picks them by quality, and not with some random generator. If you simply dont have that quality in your drawing, its not worth to try.
    Believe me, I know people that are the worst at parkours but guess what even they manage to finish space's events. It takes longer, but they make it. Or they wouldn't stand a chance in a writing/poem contest. (Some of them actually won a couple of times)
    I, for one, am not the greatest at neither of the two contests. I could try, but why? Why should I try when I know that I stand no chance?
    Let's pick something else.... Lets see.. Mazes. Same thing. Puzzles. Same thing. Even building is to an extent fairer than art/writing

@SirKewberth If you do plan to host more of these lazy events, at least lower the prizes. And do not follow space's idea of first gets it all. It's just terrible. Or just make the winners random. Anyone that enters with something thats not just random things gets an entry. So that everyone that can draw/write at least at a low-medium level can have a chance of winning. And make it randomized. Make it randomized and I'm fine. Otherwise, I stand up for more in-game events that use the trophybumper as a way to pick winners.
  • tripjoyy said:

^
    I'd love to see comic contest come back. It doesn't matter if you win... isn't the point to have fun? Who cares if you win. I had fun making a love poem, even though I didn't even submit it.

Exactly, Having fun is main goal, prizes are a bonus.
    LateCom said:

-1. As activity section has debated we know a winner before it even starts... also why not focus on ingame events rather than non- cc ingame related things..

Even if winners aren't fairly chosen, it won't make a difference between in-game and forum contests.

• lucaaa795 said:

You may have drawing experience and be the greatest in your class. However, you do not learn/exprience mazes or parkour in real life. And even if you do parkour, it's something completely different.
    There may be no "fair for all" events. However, some events are fairer than others. Can a comic made in microsoft paint made with a mouse compete with one made in a good software made with a stylish pen? Definetly and absolutely not.
    I do keep my point up nonetheless: Learning to jump from block to block is much easier than learning to draw and be good at it. Even if you suck at parkouring, you still have (usually) an entire week to finish a simple event (space doesnt host extreme contests that are only for the tip of the pyramid - at least in-game)
    You can re-do a part of some parkour as many times as you want, so that in the end you slam on the trophybumper and gain a chance to win. Now, art/writing contests usually have the same winners. Now that's because the judge picks them by quality, and not with some random generator. If you simply dont have that quality in your drawing, its not worth to try.
    Believe me, I know people that are the worst at parkours but guess what even they manage to finish space's events. It takes longer, but they make it. Or they wouldn't stand a chance in a writing/poem contest. (Some of them actually won a couple of times)
    I, for one, am not the greatest at neither of the two contests. I could try, but why? Why should I try when I know that I stand no chance?
    Let's pick something else.... Lets see.. Mazes. Same thing. Puzzles. Same thing. Even building is to an extent fairer than art/writing

@SirKewberth If you do plan to host more of these lazy events, at least lower the prizes. And do not follow space's idea of first gets it all. It's just terrible. Or just make the winners random. Anyone that enters with something thats not just random things gets an entry. So that everyone that can draw/write at least at a low-medium level can have a chance of winning. And make it randomized. Make it randomized and I'm fine. Otherwise, I stand up for more in-game events that use the trophybumper as a way to pick winners.

I do not take art classes. I am not even that good at it.

lucaaa795 said:

I do not take art classes. I am not even that good at it.
    But some are. And monopolies are never good.
  • Eagence said:

As long as "CD87" and "Kewbin" or someone suitable elected as judge I do see this idea as logical... I do think someone else can also be judge but I think those options proven their unbiased event organization capacity. (unlike those ones who can't even come up with new ideas... corrupting official event organization...)

Otherwice its just another failure and biased event due to unfair judgement leading to those "monopolies" and "unfair judge bias"... Even the ones defending such idea is the ones who are ranting / ranted in past.

But even if it is done, they will have no joy to spend their cubits anyway.
    Also Jackfury first complete your own event that you promise to others, before talking about how to organize official events. You not even set a date of compeletion and taken that 50k and not even made anything. If you have this much time to draw comics why not using this time to build and keeping up your words?

I agree there are biased judges our announcers, HOW DOES Sir. Pixel win everything?
    edited March 2019

Eagence said:

As long as "CD87" and "Kewbin" or someone suitable elected as judge I do see this idea as logical... I do think someone else can also be judge but I think those options proven their unbiased event organization capacity. (unlike those ones who can't even come up with new ideas... corrupting official event organization...)

Otherwice its just another failure and biased event due to unfair judgement leading to those "monopolies" and "unfair judge bias"... Even the ones defending such idea is the ones who are ranting / ranted in past.

Also Jackfury first complete your own event that you promise to others, before talking about how to organize official events. You not even set a date of compeletion and taken that 50k and not even made anything. If you have this much time to draw comics why not using this time to build and keeping up your words?

I agree there are biased judges our announcers, HOW DOES Sir. Pixel win everything?
    The same way I win (although I win quite rare) by being lucky.
    Eagence was not talking mainly about in game events but rather forum art or writing contests, which DO HAVE monopolies that are well built. Pixel is not bffs with space, nor am I. I think that he keeps it random on at least 70% of the winners.
    You seem pissed off about in-game events, but not about forum ones. Maybe it's because you're new here? If so, please, do some digging.
  • lucaaa795 said:

Eagence said:

Eagence was not talking mainly about in game events but rather forum art or writing contests, which DO HAVE monopolies that are well built. Pixel is not bffs with space, nor am I. I think that he keeps it random on at least 70% of the winners.
    You seem pissed off about in-game events, but not about forum ones. Maybe it's because you're new here? If so, please, do some digging.
    I have been here since 2016. I am not mad. There is a bias. And yes, it is pure chance. So, don't assume. Have a great day.
    edited March 2019

lucaaa795 said:

Eagence said:

I have been here since 2016. I am not mad. There is a bias. And yes, it is pure chance. So, don't assume. Have a great day.
    Bias and pure chance do not mix though.
    November 2017 is not 2016. You may have played the game for that long but not on forums.
  • lucaaa795 said:

lucaaa795 said:

Eagence said:

Bias and pure chance do not mix though.
    November 2017 is not 2016. You may have played the game for that long but not on forums.
    Dude, my account age is that. Learn facts. I have had 3 accounts.
  • Who's asking you about how old your accounts were or how many accounts you have? you probably didn't understand nor analyse players who won, or the pattern or something fishy was happening at all. 'Pure chance'? thats just funny.