System PSA

So we have these Events that gives to like 3 to 10 players which imo is a huge waste of time and does not help the majority of players. Why not utilize the System to address the large problems the very young players cc has invited to play this game are having? I see so many players who are 7 to 13 who just have no clue on what to do in the game. They come into the lobby and ask someone only to come across a dishonest player who steers them in the wrong direction or lies to them, or steals from them.
Instead of day in and day out seeing the current event posted on the chat, try adding tips, clues and possibly a clickable link to official realms so new players can learn the correct, safe way to play this wonderful game.

BTW, 7 year old players do not read the TOS & their parents do not even know they are playing this game.

Today I had to see one of these very young players learn the hard way even after I warned them not to trust people they don't know. He let a girl have perms and she did take all of his prized possessions.

So bottom line please rethink the events that help just 2 or 3 players and spend some time on the remainder of them and maybe this can make cc great.

Comments

• edited November 2018
    I am not against doing a PSA but one thing I have learned about players is they do not read. If they do not read the TOS what makes you think they will read a PSA. I am for service announcements, I may be off but I don't think it would require that much effort. The question is would it have any impact. I assume not especially if for example you warned said player and he went against your advice.
  • I am not against doing a PSA but one thing I have learned about players is they do not read. If they do not read the TOS what makes you think they will read a PSA. I am for service announcements, I may be off but I don't think it would require that much effort. The question is would it have any impact. I assume not especially if for example you warned said player and he went against your advice.

10 points for Slytherin!

Also, these are not and won't be at the top of devs' To Do List...
  • BuckaroooBuckarooo Member
    edited November 2018
    I remember when I first got scammed, I didn't know anything about the game since I was new. I wanted a pet badly and someone offered me one but asked for perm so they can place it. Me not knowing better gave him perm then BAM. Everything I had was gone and I nearly quit
  • 1st - A seven year old player playing without their parents' permission should automatically be banned as the minimum age to play w/o parental supervision is 13yo and it is a clear violation of the TOS (and US COPPA laws).
    2nd - As Grey said, a 7yo who isn't listening to another player IN the game providing a warning and who isn't reading the TOS, isn't going to to read a PSA either...though they might be helpful for older players...but hard to say...but I suspect even the older players will ignore them.
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    b3achy said:

1st - A seven year old player playing without their parents' permission should automatically be banned as the minimum age to play w/o parental supervision is 13yo and it is a clear violation of the TOS (and US COPPA laws).

How exactly would you go about enforcing this?
    TOS are there to protect cosmic cow games of liability.
  • WhimsicalFireflyWhimsicalFirefly Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    I don't know if a PSA would help. Just like you, I've jumped up and down in the lobby many times trying to warn people of their impending doom and they don't listen. I'm not sure a message at the top of the screen would stop them from making foolish mistakes if they ignore a high level player that is trying to warn them right there on the spot. Unfortunately, there are some people that will fall for the scams (some multiple times) and it's not just a CC problem or even a gaming problem because sadly it happens in real life too.
  • A supporting fact of why a PSA would not work is the confirmation windows put in place to stop people from getting scammed.

I gave my vehicle to another player!
    THEY CHANGED THE PRICE ON THE VEND, He said the krampus was only 2k!
    and the list goes on. People don't read XD.

The list goes on, so many confirmation windows and few take the time to read them.
  • b3achyb3achy Member
    edited November 2018
    gdog said:

b3achy said:

1st - A seven year old player playing without their parents' permission should automatically be banned as the minimum age to play w/o parental supervision is 13yo and it is a clear violation of the TOS (and US COPPA laws).

How exactly would you go about enforcing this?
    TOS are there to protect cosmic cow games of liability.
    Sadly, it's nearly impossible to enforce (just like speed limits as way more people speed than get caught). However, if a player freely admits they are 7yo and their parents don't know they are playing...then guess what...admission of guilt should be enough to ban them until they are 13yo (and yes, if they are smart, which most aren't, they keep their mouths shut about their age and they can play indefinitely as they probably won't be caught).

Also, there should be a process in place to check that a parent's email is actually used per the TOS once the player self-identifies as being underage.

I understand that the TOS currently provides 'coverage' for CC, but the COPPA laws are in place and could be used against CC if someone were to press the issue of an underaged player was knowingly being allowed to play without supervision which is clearly a violation of the TOS and CC is 'doing nothing' about it. Do I think that is likely to happen...no...but it's a tightrope CC is walking right now.

Just because something is difficult to enforce doesn't mean there shouldn't be procedures in place to enforce the TOS if it becomes known that it is being violated. Otherwise, why bother having it in the TOS at all? Because of their TOS, CC does have a responsibility to protect even the underaged players.
  • I am not against doing a PSA but one thing I have learned about players is they do not read. If they do not read the TOS what makes you think they will read a PSA. I am for service announcements, I may be off but I don't think it would require that much effort. The question is would it have any impact. I assume not especially if for example you warned said player and he went against your advice.

You might be right in that the majority of these very young wont read a PSA but I have been in the lobby quite a lot of the time and I don't remember seeing you in there in all the 8 months I have played. If you form the PSA's like these new players are asking; "How do I make c"? " How do I get blocks"? " What is the point of this game"? " Where do I get clothes"? "How do I craft a workbench"? The System is and always will be there so why not use it to answer some of these questions. I have seen some mods Broadcast PSA's from time to time so why can't it be a cycle of all things informative to all players?

Doing giveaways only creates beggars and laziness. Remember the biblical saying, "give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach him to fish and he will never go hungry". We are told to give in secret so that no man can boast of his good works and we are to give the Glory to Him who it belongs, Shouting giveaways does two things, it buys fame for the giver and to the receiver goes hunger for more.

I have seen some of the other posters to this suggestion in the lobby and altho we as an individual tries to reach the new players early, we can only do so much. All I am asking for is to give PSA's a chance to do what we can because throwing $$ on the problem is not working and it is only prolonging the inevitable.

I truly love this game but to throw real money in to it seems pointless knowing it is swirling in the toilet waiting for that swoosh.

b3achy;- If you banned all the underage players there would be 50% less players. Don't believe me? to talk to 200 new players like I have and you will be surprised.

Gdog:- you are correct, how exactly would we enforce this? I dont have the answer. That is why this is a suggestion and not a new effective rule. I do want something to happen so that I don't wake up one day soon to find Cubic Castles shut down. I would probably have nightmares knowing all 100 of my meemews would be crying without me in Duh House of Cats.

To the Developers, Events only make 2 to 10 players happy and out of the remainder some are extremely disappointed and some to the point of quitting. The rest are just unhappy and some even think the event is biased against them. So imo the whole thing has a negative effect over what it was intended to accomplish.
  • As I stated I am not against PSAs just that I do not see them as being effective at all. As an individual I work behind the scenes and behind other peoples names. I have participated in many builds like educational centers. They don't do very much. You have clans like Helping Hands who work on aiding new players and it does help without question but only to a certain degree. The most effective means I have found is finding low lvls with nice personalities who are willing to be guided but that is sadly a small percentage. There are a lot of people trying to help the user base, if they are doing it right then you are not seeing their name because they are not doing it for glory, they are doing it help people just as a note.
  • As I stated I am not against PSAs just that I do not see them as being effective at all. As an individual I work behind the scenes and behind other peoples names. I have participated in many builds like educational centers. They don't do very much. You have clans like Helping Hands who work on aiding new players and it does help without question but only to a certain degree. The most effective means I have found is finding low lvls with nice personalities who are willing to be guided but that is sadly a small percentage. There are a lot of people trying to help the user base, if they are doing it right then you are not seeing their name because they are not doing it for glory, they are doing it help people just as a note.

I meet players who are very eager to learn how to play & how to make c. I do think the devs could use the system to do more to help the new players even if it's not for warnings to stop scamming. The System is being wasted for days & weeks at a time and could be utilized to show cc really does care for the players rather than what they show now which imo is that someone in charge has regret that underage children now are so abundant. If the devs want to change my opinion about this, show they do care and make either make it easier for them to play or remove the underage player.

Example of a PSA; To Use a holla to get people to your shop, type hollawarp before your message. New players lose so much as the holla only says remember to type holla before your message when we buy them. CC makes changes and adds things but they drop the ball and have no follow thru in the recipies, and cc store as there are a lot of things in there with different names than the actual item and some things are sold but not mentioned in the description, or are described wrong. These new things or changes can be added to the PSA's. When the accumulated broken things are added up what we have is a broken game. PSA's can regain control of cc and do a lot more than even my small brain can do if the devs use it. If it is used to its potential there is no reason it can make the players numbers soar and MCCGA. Speaking of players numbers, add the number of players online occasionally so people can know when it is a good time to do a holla for maximum exposure. This can also be an advantage to let the mod staff know when more coverage is needed at a glance.

Yes these realms you mentioned do help players but only if another player tells them how to even play cc and get around. I am referring to the very young player which cc invited who are not equipped to problem solve like the more mature player. I did a lot of research and found imo the average age of cc player is 11. also imo, I believe cc wants them here just for the simple fact that these players refuse to take no for an answer as when they want something, they keep begging cuz it works on mommy. These underage players do get the $$ from mommy and they are here to stay apparently, so why not help them. I am not opposed to the average 7 to 12 year old playing as long as they follow the rules and respect me as I respect them. I do not like the economy as a result of the young player tho as they have no value of money and little to no self controls for the most part. Some actually do though. The ones with really great manners melt my heart with "excuse me", 'yes ma'am", and such...

Grey, were you playing cc when devs made it possible for younger players to be allowed to play? I forget when it was but I do remember seeing this somewhere. Devs want the immature player here since I think 3 years ago. So, ask why is that & why don't they help the young player more? Mining & crafting is designed for a more mature player as was the economy & the average age has changed so why hasn't all things changed? The average 7 to 12 year old player will not mine 4 mines of white flowers needed to get the white dye they want but they also don't think these are worth what the player who actually takes the time to mine them are worth. This is true for most resources that require work which is an unknown concept for the average 7 to 12 year old. I mean, to them money grows on trees, or at the very least mommy's debit card.
  • Maybe improve the adventure realm and force players to play through the whole story before they are able to play multiplayer. It would help some players out a bit. This is always a problem in open world, player controlled economy mmo games. It takes players time to learn how to play the game and how to play it safely. There needs to be some kind of bridge to cover this gap.
  • Log_er said:

Maybe improve the adventure realm and force players to play through the whole story before they are able to play multiplayer. It would help some players out a bit. This is always a problem in open world, player controlled economy mmo games. It takes players time to learn how to play the game and how to play it safely. There needs to be some kind of bridge to cover this gap.

I think that instead of having to play through adventure mode, how about extending the tutorial to go briefly over scammers and other needed knowledge?
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator

Log_er said:

Maybe improve the adventure realm and force players to play through the whole story before they are able to play multiplayer. It would help some players out a bit. This is always a problem in open world, player controlled economy mmo games. It takes players time to learn how to play the game and how to play it safely. There needs to be some kind of bridge to cover this gap.

I think that instead of having to play through adventure mode, how about extending the tutorial to go briefly over scammers and other needed knowledge?
    Have them be scammed in the tutorial lol.
  • U said:

Log_er said:

XD
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    You do get scammed in adventure mode...
  • Plot twist
  • When the party's over it's customary to take down the banner right? This is what I mean. This space is wasted when it could be used with something automated to keep players informed of anything but an even that has been over for weeks or longer.
  • sdgamez3sdgamez3 Member
    edited March 2019
    I think that people learn best by experience and not signs or pros jumping about warning them
    People try to do good and it's great! But the only way nubs learn is by experiencing scams
    That's how I learned. But the important thing is to make the game great so that the players learn the lesson and don't leave.
    But as for helping the players,I think people learn from people who they know irl better cuz they can talk face to face but what the devs could do make the nubs spawn in another learning place right after the first one with all the warning against scams and as for the fact that they can ignore the signs, make like a sign at the end saying what's the password?? And they will have to read all the signs to find the password
    Also I don't want to wake up to a sign saying "this game has been shut down because some dumb nubd got scammed" I would have nightmares about it
  • ndplayz2468ndplayz2468 Member
    edited March 2019
    gdog said:

Ik that from personal experience but i dont think players will take it srsly cuz I remember like 2 years ago u used to spawn in the adventure mode when u started playing the game and if u were actually a new player u wudnt know about the mmo cc just adventure mode cc (I eventually discovered mmo cc but like after more then halfway through adventure mode) and u wud think that u lost actuall valuable cubits actually they don't rlly matter but now if a new player even does get scammed in adventure mode they will most probably be like ' lol these r just for adventure mode not the mmo cc' and not learn the lesson, which is how these r exactly the kinda things ppl do before u get scammed. I recall that the scammer dude offers u clothing in exchange for ur only 50c and u hv to drop it into a piggy bank. If new players don't take it srsly they won't see it coming in the multiplayer mode of cc.
    U said:

Log_er said:

That wud be more effective then the adventure mode thing like u get 1k c and u r like ya boi!! But like a dude is there saying that he can give something like... Idk like something valuable??? And what he claims to be valuable is like just nub items???? Idk just make a scam that feels real and make sure that it's a scam done commonly to new players so they see it coming in the game. And u can escape the tutorial realm in the present so I recommend making it impossible maybe by applying sdgamez3's method and make the same arrangements for the tutorial scam thing.
  • Today makes it 30 days since the System announcement was changed to the Valentines poem contest.

Just stating an obvious fact. No wonder people are posting speculation of cc dying. I do realize the devs are working on other stuff but the System: announcements are the direct connection to the players and if they see a stagnant game, they tend to get their panties in a bunch.
  • I think the guy you were talking to was scammed by coolgirl159, she scammed tons of newbies.
  • The problem is NO ONE FRWEAKING READS ANYMORE I once made a plot in pen's and put a sign that siad the price of the items I was selling...ppl instead of reading the signs slammed on the stuff and kept asking price.we can never stop scammers,bad ppl always find a way to do thier works of evil,and even after they scam Twice,they get a simple warning.

We need like a totorial realm for when you start out like the one we have now,but its a guide to scmas and how to avoid them,cuz sseriously who eve goes to that scam awareness place in the crafting center..
  • Oh right and...what is PSA?
  • Timberton said:

Oh right and...what is PSA?

Public Service Announcement. Essentially a big statement.
  • Timberton said:

Oh right and...what is PSA?

Public Service Announcement. Essentially a big statement.
    So what would be the point of it?
  • gdog said:

But people are not even prompted to do the adventure mode anymore
  • Case in point Now we have this story that to me/imo was pointless in the system for the last 3 weeks. I thought because of the depth of the building story. it would be spectacular. Fail: I didn't see any mention of BZ appearing at all and now that it is over we still have the story's end. If cc puts a long dragged out story in the system, this must mean ppl read it, right? Direct ppl where to go, what to do, and what not to do instead. Better use of the system imo.