The New Pets And The Future Problems That Will Arise

As stated by Kew the pet prices are a new experiment and I am fine with said experiments but we need to recognize the sinister truth that lays behind this experiment. We have to put our foot down and express that this is not what we desire. I will began to explain :)! There is no coincidence that the kangaroo and ostrich being dropped RIGHT BEFORE BLACK FRIDAY. It is going to compel people to buy cubits from the sale so they can afford said pets. I am not against the devs making money but this is going to snowball. If this brings in revenue who says the devs won't put more things behind pay walls? They can try to say this is to create exclusive rares but I call bull. It is only going to create a disparity between the rich and the poor. As it stands now one can work for something and reach the upper crust. Moves like this are going to create a gap and devalue the cubit. It may be just innocent but it smells suspicious and could have dire consequences. Once the doors are open there is no closing them. We have to say no to this and express that we do not like it.

Comments

• BuckaroooBuckarooo Member
    edited November 2018
    I doubt they would turn into Activision 2.0. The player count on this game is way too low to be doing stuff like that. Also the pet/festival pack release is a strategic marketing move.
  • I am quite sure that is what many people stated before any company began putting forth practices like loot boxes or any other scheme to wring out of money from their customers. I believe CC needs incentives to get people to buy cubits and I am strongly for them. Except there is a balance and I don't think player market should be manipulated/dabbled in, especially by those who are not part of the market/are an active player. I do not believe content should be theme bound but don't you find it a little odd a kangaroo and ostrich being released at Thanksgiving. If they were 20k/25k like vehicles in the past I would not have an issue but demanding 50k for a pet is crazy and not only that you are releasing TWO of them unlike say where we get one vehicle during a given time period with a hefty price tag.
  • I feel the same way
    The pets are 75% chance not even going to rise.
    (Look at my comment on @CoolGuyBoss 's discussion.)
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator

I feel the same way
    The pets are 75% chance not even going to rise.
    (Look at my comment on @CoolGuyBoss 's discussion.)

They are 100% going to rise eventually.
  • Only if people decide they're worth it.
    And if they're rare enough.
  • The pets will rise but it is going to be a slow rise. Especially with most people going to be buying them in mass with the cubit sale. They are not going to be rare, just price manipulated. The ramm is worth so much because people were not notified it was going to end or that it was limited. There is going to be a lot of kangs and osts out there that people will be sitting on. We look at pets like pumpkin pets and they are worth only around 100k, it has been several years plus many pumpkins were taken out of circulation by people banned/who quit. The user base that possesses cubits is larger and more willing to spend, things become saturated. The kang and os are no different.
  • Well said. ^
    Bcats are a good example of player manipulated prices.
  • To put it in better perspective will we be ok with paying twenty dollars a pop for items in the future? There will not always be sales to soften the blow to the wallet. If you want both pets and were to buy cubits as it stands it would take you forty dollars if you did not have assets ingame. A pet should not exceed the value of ten dollars starting off, it is a cash grab whether intended or not and it should make people ill.
  • Well, the developers need the money to keep the game running. This is why I've been suggesting that exclusive membership thing that adds a few bonuses for a relatively small monthly payment. Then they wouldn't have to solely rely on people buying cubits and we wouldn't have pets for 50k.
  • I would love a membership and I am all FOR ways to give the devs money. Maple Story 2 has a membership for five dollars a month that gives small perks. Nothing unfair but a decent reward to those who are willing to pay towards a monthly. The more money they have the more secure the game is. I never complained about the dragon pet being money because ten dollars is reasonable. Twenty dollars is not, especially when two are released coinciding. Secondly I am fine with player manipulated prices for several reasons. Bcats could be bought easily for 10k after they were released. Bcats did not start to dramatically rise until some considerable time had elapsed. Also it is very hard for players to manipulate prices, only one person I can think of has been successful in manipulating prices consecutively which was Dread. Player prices are part of the open market. 50k starting price is NOT an open market.
    edited November 2018
    *Remove dragon and add a new 10$ pet for extra money*
  • Remove Ostrich and Kangaroo before Black friday start :)
  • Remove Ostrich and Kangaroo before Black friday start :)

I dont think that would work.

Remove Ostrich and Kangaroo before Black friday start :)

U said:

You could remove them in two days and make a massive ‘gold rush’ of people buying cubits to buy them for profit. I’m joking obviously, but it would work.

Edit: Fixed typos

• Removing the ostrich and kang before the black friday would be unfair.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer

As stated by Kew the pet prices are a new experiment and I am fine with said experiments but we need to recognize the sinister truth that lays behind this experiment. We have to put our foot down and express that this is not what we desire. I will began to explain :)! There is no coincidence that the kangaroo and ostrich being dropped RIGHT BEFORE BLACK FRIDAY. It is going to compel people to buy cubits from the sale so they can afford said pets

No no.. I did not state any such thing. You misread me entirely. They are not an experiment and have nothing to do with black friday. The issue here is I used the word coincidental.. which happens to have TWO meanings. One meaning is .. by coincidence.. by chance. Which was the meaning I intended. The other meaning is "at the same time". I did in fact NOT time them to match the sale.

With regards to the price and whether more exclusive objects should be added that is based on in-game economy to some extent. There's been quite a bit of inflation in the game, in part because of all the cubits we give out for constant contests/events. I will also note that many of the richest players have never bought a single cubit during a sale or otherwise. They're just very good at trading or have been playing the game a long time.

As stated by Kew the pet prices are a new experiment and I am fine with said experiments but we need to recognize the sinister truth that lays behind this experiment. We have to put our foot down and express that this is not what we desire. I will began to explain :)! There is no coincidence that the kangaroo and ostrich being dropped RIGHT BEFORE BLACK FRIDAY. It is going to compel people to buy cubits from the sale so they can afford said pets

No no.. I did not state any such thing. You misread me entirely. They are not an experiment and have nothing to do with black friday. The issue here is I used the word coincidental.. which happens to have TWO meanings. One meaning is .. by coincidence.. by chance. Which was the meaning I intended. The other meaning is "at the same time". I did in fact NOT time them to match the sale.

With regards to the price and whether more exclusive objects should be added that is based on in-game economy to some extent. There's been quite a bit of inflation in the game, in part because of all the cubits we give out for constant contests/events. I will also note that many of the richest players have never bought a single cubit during a sale or otherwise. They're just very good at trading or have been playing the game a long time.
    The richest non patron player is at 15mil or so. Knop and bee are way above that and have spent a lot of money.
  • Only one percent of wealthy players are entirely self made as a vast majority have purchased cubits. I think one can work hard and earn cubits. As it stands there is not a gap between the wealthy and those who lack funds. If one wants to work they can climb the ranks. I feel though with additions like this it is going to solidify a gap. People can build their selves up to wealthy by buying a rare at a lower price tag, sit on it for a long time and if it doesn't return they gain profit. With a 50k starting entry fee those who lack C are not going to be able to build up to that point to invest in the 50k.
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    edited November 2018
    I'm totally fine with the prices and tbh. I think they should keep bringing expensive items to the store to help support the game. CC has had one of the best business models for the player I've seen in the free to play space ever. I piss money up the wall on cod paying $10 for a operator skin, on a game i payed $100 for (season pass). Forknife is the same. They have expensive skins/items. Trove is way more expensive too, the list goes on.
    End of the day you can not expect to get everything for free. You can still earn cubits to get these items. They seem expensive for cc but compared to any other game out there they are a bargain.
    I think cc cheap items has over the course of years actually harmed the game. If they charged more for items which they totally should have, they'd have more funds to pump into development.
    You all winge about wanting more updates with new mechanics. Well that could've happened if say they could've afforded another dev.
    You all constantly go on about how cc should advertise itself more. That could've happened if they sold there packs and items at more competitive price.

There will always be a rich and poor player gap. If people wanna close that gap, then they need to buy cubits, end off. Go mow a lawn, wash a car get a paper route etc.

It makes zero business sense to enable non-paying player access to everything.
    As it stands now non-paying players still have access to everything if they spend a lot of time mining/selling/trading.

If you don't like paying for these items, just don't buy them. There will be people (whales) who will.
  • Yep, a lot of what G said is what I've said. I think you guys have become too used to the "free-to-play" aspect of the game and forgotten that games like this require money to keep running. For those of you who are too little to get a real job, you can still do chores for your neighbors and earn something. And if you're one of those purists who says "Well I never spend money on in-app purchases", then that's fine. But don't shame anyone who does.
    Honestly yes, the pets are expensive, but are they necessary? No. Can you play the game without them? Yes. So where's the problem? Oh well, you missed out on an item because you don't want to spend money on the game. That's fine, but you don't need to complain about it.
    And Grey, I understand where you're coming from, but no online MMO is ever truly "free-to-play." It has to have a source of income.
    So yeah, some people will miss out on these pets, but that's just "oh well." If a person can't earn 50k or does not want to buy cubits, then they'll just miss out.
    There has to be some bonus or incentive for people to drop some money on the game, otherwise it won't stay up.
  • JackFury said:

Yep, a lot of what G said is what I've said. I think you guys have become too used to the "free-to-play" aspect of the game and forgotten that games like this require money to keep running. For those of you who are too little to get a real job, you can still do chores for your neighbors and earn something. And if you're one of those purists who says "Well I never spend money on in-app purchases", then that's fine. But don't shame anyone who does.
    Honestly yes, the pets are expensive, but are they necessary? No. Can you play the game without them? Yes. So where's the problem? Oh well, you missed out on an item because you don't want to spend money on the game. That's fine, but you don't need to complain about it.
    And Grey, I understand where you're coming from, but no online MMO is ever truly "free-to-play." It has to have a source of income.
    So yeah, some people will miss out on these pets, but that's just "oh well." If a person can't earn 50k or does not want to buy cubits, then they'll just miss out.
    There has to be some bonus or incentive for people to drop some money on the game, otherwise it won't stay up.

I agree with everything except the little kids with money thing. Some countries don't really work like that, or even general areas within a country. Specifically in Canada, people think that kids are untrustworthy, and do everything themselves xD.
  • Ditto what gdog and Jack said...

I do agree the price is a bit steep, but have to agree with gdog, it's probably just because I'm not used to seeing prices that high for a virtual item in the cubit store. Totally support that the game needs people investing in it for the development. If this is a game you like, and like the direction it's moving, you should invest in it (either with your time or your money).

I also think there are some items that should be exclusive for those supporting the game financially as they are supporting further development of the game for those that don't/won't/can't support the game financially.

However, this game allows players to play completely free and has way more ways to earn free in-game currency (cubits and recubes) than any game I've ever played...and I've been playing small niche-y MMOs for about a decade. Yes, it still takes work to earn that in-game currency, but it is an investment of your time into the game. You invest enough time into earning the in-game currency, and you can easily afford items like these if you chose wisely where to spend your in-game currency.
  • edited November 2018
    Grey never stated he was against the devs making money or the system was unfair, seems personally like a misplaced rant in the wrong thread. There are better models to make money and some options were discussed in this thread. This thread was expressing a concern for what could this snowball into. Many games start out with a balance like Maple Story but turn into a pay to play. I did not say it was a pay to play as of current. Some people need to put on their reading glasses instead of being armed and ready with an opinion :P.
  • Grey never stated he was against the devs making money or the system was unfair, seems personally like a misplaced rant in the wrong thread. There are better models to make money and some options were discussed in this thread. This thread was expressing a concern for what could this snowball into. Many games start out with a balance like Maple Story but turn into a pay to play. I did not say it was a pay to play as of current. Some people need to put on their reading glasses instead of being armed and ready with an opinion :P.

Agreed, also, we should be critical about where we put our money, especially if things players have demanded never seem to get added
  • Eagence said:

" If you don't like paying for these items, just don't buy them. There will be people (whales) who will. "
    - by GDOG -

I am sure whales are highly offended to be regarded as whales, at the end no person whould like to be a moneybag cash cows that kewb would milk whenever he wants...

But good business practice cc, lets call our costumers and users whales or lets be more straight and call them cash cows or money bags... I am sure its a good business practice too ? Really creative and worth mentioning...

Also I do think 45k is nothing expensive, we should start considering 100c that we pay for Autumn Leaf Piles and Autumn Leaves ... (*Sarcasm*)

Isn't it kinda ironic to see a guy can't decide wheater a pet expensive or not and calling 45k not expensive and then complaining about 100c leaves...
    Regarding the Jack thing, I think he is referring to the fact that they were ALREADY I the game, and now are spiking. Personally, I'd rather the pets be cheaper, but I see where he is coming from... sort of.
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    Let's keep it on topic please.