Image and GIF Posting Guide

JackFuryJackFury Member
edited July 2018 in General Chat

Sadly, there is no available guide for how to post images and GIFs on here. So your friendly neighborhood Jack is here to help :D

Most websites, including this one, are written with Hypertext Markup Language, otherwise known as HTML. Web browsers receive HTML documents from a web server or from local storage and render the documents into multimedia web pages. HTML describes the structure of a web page semantically and originally included cues for the appearance of the document. HTML can embed programs written in a scripting language such as JavaScript, which affects the behavior and content of web pages. Inclusion of CSS defines the look and layout of content. HTML defines a set of 252 character entity references and a set of 1,114,050 numeric character references, both of which allow individual characters to be written via simple markup, rather than literally. A literal character and its markup counterpart are considered equivalent and are rendered identically. You can create commands using simple symbols such as ( ) < > & * " ' : [ ] and many more.

TL;DR: This website is written with HTML, a web source code. It allows plenty of room to change fonts, letter sizes, or post images and GIFs on a simple text tray. Using brackets or other symbols can allow you to tell it what you want it to do.

But that's just all the nitty-gritty stuff. No one cares about that stuff (except me ;-;) and you came here for the tutorial! With pictures! This isn't WikiHow, but I'll do my best. I will do all of this on a mobile device to show it can be done, but it works the same for pc users.

Image Posting!
Have you ever seen a comment / discussion with an image posted directly like this?

You came to the right place to learn how (unless you're here to see how to post GIFs or you're just reading this out of boredom. If you already know all this stuff, great!)

Here are the steps for different image posting scenarios (with images)

1. In your discussion / comment, click or tap on this button:

It will bring up a little window where you can choose your image from your library:

2. Choose your image, upload it, and when it appears as a link down below, click on the "x" next to it.

3. Now click (or tap) on the image again, and it will add it in text form.

Voíla! Your image is now in the correct syntax to be posted visibly instead of as a link. It'll look like this in the editor:

Now, that isn't all! You can also post images directly to your wall! Here's how that goes:

The issue is this: the activity wall doesn't have a "Choose Files" button. The way to get around it is this: Create a new discussion and choose your file. Right-click or tap and hold on the image title and copy the link address.

Then scrap the discussion after you've copied the link address for your new image. Now go to your wall (or someone else's, if you want to post an obnoxious picture on their wall), click or tap this button, and paste the link address into the box:

Insert it, add text of your choice:

There you go, your obnoxious image upload is complete!

And finally, GIF uploading. Yes, you can upload working GIFs to the forums. It's simple, too :D

2. Google the GIF you're looking for, and find one that suits you. If the GIF you want is one you created, look below for further instructions.

Once you find a GIF you like, right-click on it or tap and hold and open it in a new tab.

Copy the link, then paste the it into the "Image URL" text box in your discussion / comment / wall comment.

Your GIF is uploaded and ready to go!

If you want to post a GIF you yourself created, it's a bit more tricky. You have to upload your GIF to an image website (imgur.com is my choice). Once uploaded, do the same thing. Right-click or tap and hold on your GIF to open it in a new tab, copy its link, and post it on here in the same way.

I hope this helps! If there's anything I forgot or need to add, let me know :)

Comments

• Omg thanks much!
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    Slightly easier way to post picture than copying link.
    Just press the x next to the picture after you've uploaded it. Then click on the little image of the picture and it will auto post the link in the comment preview.
  • Well, that simplifies it. I'll edit the steps :)
  • Very nice guide, it will definitely help alot of people!!! And....

I AM INTERESTED IN HTML TOO >:O
  • RaizusekuRaizuseku Member
    edited June 2018
    Really nice. I believe another way to get the embed link for the uploaded image is to just drag and drop the image into the comment box and it’ll generate an image tag for that image with the link. Haven’t tried on mobile but works on computer.
  • Really nice guide, Helpfull
  • Would you mind making a video for this XD? I tried, but I am still doing something wrong. @JackFury
  • yes! Finally somone actually explained how to add images to the activities wall properly so i can understand! :D
    Thankyou! ^^
  • You have just solved the mysteries I have been wondering about since the update. Tysm Jack!!
  • Would you mind making a video for this XD? I tried, but I am still doing something wrong. @JackFury

What part don't you understand? I can probably help. I do not own a recording software, so I can't really make a video. (No, I won't use OBS, it's annoying) I guess you could pm me
  • Graceful ThunderGraceful Thunder Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    JackFury said:

Would you mind making a video for this XD? I tried, but I am still doing something wrong. @JackFury

What part don't you understand? I can probably help. I do not own a recording software, so I can't really make a video. (No, I won't use OBS, it's annoying) I guess you could pm me
    You can borrow my mic, Bandicam, etc
  • JackFury said:

Would you mind making a video for this XD? I tried, but I am still doing something wrong. @JackFury

You can borrow my mic, Bandicam, etc
    Wow. I'm not sure what I cannot wrap my head around here..... Is it too easy that I can't do it XD?
  • Thanks! I saw this when I was banned and couldnt comment! Thanks for all the help!
  • Ok xD
  • Thanks!!!
  • *Joystick**Joystick* Member
    edited November 2018
    Don't open if you're epileptic

This discussion has been closed.