Tips On Making A Shop

Mr. SkullMr. Skull Member
edited October 2018 in General Chat
I was thinking of making a shop (maybe) and I just wondered if anyone had any tips for me?
Wheather it is what to buy, or wheather to holla or not, all tips would help!
Thanks very much ;)
Wasn't sure where to put this discussion so I put it in general chat.

Comments

• Buy for low, and sell high - but not ridiculously high. ( I learnt this from @Sir. Pixel)
  • Well it depends on what you want to sell wearables, craftables, resources, etc.
  • give all your items to me.
    sorted
  • WhimsicalFireflyWhimsicalFirefly Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    Unless you have a few specific things items that are in high demand and the sale will cover the cost of a holla you might be wasting your cubits doing too many of them. I never found them very useful. They can bring a lot of people to your shop but very few buy anything. Most are just looking to sell their own items or just troll your shop and cause trouble. The forums seem to work better for me for advertising. You could also go to a lobby and hand out warp food to your shop. I've discovered some really nice shops that way.

Sell what you know and do in the game. If you mine, sell the resources. If you farm, sell the crops and recube items. If you like to buy hats, clothes and decor, sell those. The economy can change daily so the value of something can go down fast and you could lose a lot doing the buy low/sell high items if you aren't careful. If you choose to sell hats and clothes, be sure to educate yourself on the value. GSP Prices is a great place to keep up with that.

Also, the overall look and setup is another key to a good shop. Disorganized cluttered shops are hard to get around, so make sure things are easy to see and find. People won't stay long if they have to work too hard to see what you are selling.

Running a shop takes work but it can be very profitable and fun if you do it right.

Good luck!!!!!
  • Buy a Realm, Put Vends , Do Hollas And There You Go :D
  • Buy a Realm, Put Vends , Do Hollas And There You Go :D

Not sure if it's that easy
  • Promote your shop so people know about it, sell a variety of items, sell a mixture of rares, commons, and uncommons, buy stuff low and sell higher to make profit, have a well devprated realm, and make sure to put my name somewere in the ream :P
  • Unless you have a few specific things items that are in high demand and the sale will cover the cost of a holla you might be wasting your cubits doing too many of them. I never found them very useful. They can bring a lot of people to your shop but very few buy anything. Most are just looking to sell their own items or just troll your shop and cause trouble. The forums seem to work better for me for advertising. You could also go to a lobby and hand out warp food to your shop. I've discovered some really nice shops that way.

Sell what you know and do in the game. If you mine, sell the resources. If you farm, sell the crops and recube items. If you like to buy hats, clothes and decor, sell those. The economy can change daily so the value of something can go down fast and you could lose a lot doing the buy low/sell high items if you aren't careful. If you choose to sell hats and clothes, be sure to educate yourself on the value. GSP Prices is a great place to keep up with that.

Also, the overall look and setup is another key to a good shop. Disorganized cluttered shops are hard to get around, so make sure things are easy to see and find. People won't stay long if they have to work too hard to see what you are selling.

Running a shop takes work but it can be very profitable and fun if you do it right.

Good luck!!!!!

^^^ Don't know that I have too much to add to this great advice.^^^

I say, find a niche you can fill. The results of something you like to do (from mining, crafting, or shopping/purchasing low) and then sell the results from that activity (resources, furniture/blocks, purchased items at a higher price). The challenge in game is knowing the market, and finding the things that sell well and sell repetitively so you can have an ongoing income. However, you'll need to be able to maintain the vends with items, so hopefully it's something you enjoy doing. Be careful though, maintaining a shop, can become a bit of a drudge over time if you try to restock too often. Then it becomes more work than fun (which is probably why so many shops are abandoned).

I want to agree with WhimsicalFirefly about how the shop looks. I know people talk about decorating the shop, but I personally hate shops that take me forever to find the vends because I have to wander around. I go to a shop to shop; I go to an adventure realm to wander around. Organization and signage is more important to me than some crazy build and me having to parkour to get to the vends. Of course, you have to have it attractive/pleasing to the eye, but remember it's a shop, not an Indiana Jones jungle adventure.

I've never purchased a single holla and I've only advertised on the forums. But since I sell resources via vends, the marketing is different than if you sell wear-ables using a register. Since I sell through vends, I set them and I leave them. I post a message to the forums and go back and check on the shop periodically for when I need to restock. This allows me to make money while I'm doing other things in game (more mining, visiting with friends, building, events, etc).

I don't have a shop for the social aspect, but some people do. Some enjoy the social aspect of having a shop/market, and if you do, consider only having a register and displaying the items you are selling/purchasing under glass with signs of their prices. But you will have to stay there and wait for people to jump to your shop, and you have to be there or you may miss a sale. That's when hollas are important.

Don't know if that helps much, but that's my 2c.
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    I suggest starting by getting a plot in a popular shop.

Also, how I got mine somewhat popular is friending a bunch of people.
  • I eat many chocolates. XD
  • U said:

I suggest starting by getting a plot in a popular shop.

Also, how I got mine somewhat popular is friending a bunch of people.

Friend loads of people and go afk? xD
  • Bump