Staying in touch - Just a few notes on ongoing development

SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
So by now many of you will have seen Gdog's Halloween preview. We're still testing a bit but that should be coming fairly soon. Also in the preview Gdog showed the new crafting interface for the Anvil. I wanted to talk a little bit about that and why we made that change and what we're working on behind the scenes.

So the hardest thing for a game like ours is to keep potential new players around. The most typical thing is someone plays a new game, decides it's not for them and never tries it again. And reaching new people is so difficult that you really have to make the best of it you can. Last summer google changed some play store algorithms and we get less downloads from tghe app store than we use to. So we have to make each new download count!

Cubic can be confusing for new players. There's a lot to see and do, but first impressions can be tough. We've tried a lot of different approaches over time of varying levels of success.

One of the issues in that respect is that to learn crafting you need to use a web page or the learning center. (or drag items in and get lucky) So the new interface is aimed at making crafting easier for someone who doesn't yet know the game. This is also why it affects the anvil 1st. In part to test this and see if people like it and in part because it's the first crafting station a new player will get. There's still a lot of work to do and crafting is not the only place where new players get confused. Other areas include...

- In game navigation - overworlds lobbies search bumpers etc... easy to get lost if you're new
- and mining - many players actually think they need to buy ALL the blocks in the game and this scares them away

The problem with doing this kind of work is that, since it is aimed a little more at new players, and since the work is typically very difficult (reworking old code that has built up over years is harder) it takes a lot of time that could be spent updating the game in other ways. So we're trying to find some balance.

But, for better or worse, the plan going forward is to focus a little more on these sort of core game things, which I do think still has some benefit for older players too.

Now, the new crafting interface is so different from the old one that we have to see still if there's issues/problems and how it's received by players. But, if people love it and there aren't too many problems then the plan is to do as Gdog suggested in his video, and start expanding this style of crafting to other crafting stations. So you can expect changes along those lines to come with the fall pack, and eventually some changes (hopefully before year end) to game navigation.

Comments

• MedicationsMedications Member
    edited October 2018
    Understood Sir!
    Thanks for the Notes
  • Thanks for your interest and hard work of actually trying to make the game more popular and grow :) I hope more stuff is added soon that will make players become interested in the game!
    The halloween event sounds fantastic, it’s a bit like the easter one right?
  • I HAVEN'T SEEN THIS YET :O
  • I really liked the crafting changes! Its awesome thanks
  • NoeNt said:

I really liked the crafting changes! Its awesome thanks

Just finished watching it. I'll always have an anvil on me :3

I love the door thing too. So will everyone be able to get candy from the one door? Or will it despawn?
  • If you haven't seen it, here's a screenshot of the new crafting menu from Gdog's video:

• Ah,i thought witch broom was halloween mobile :-(
    I love da Nightshroom and wizard wand :D
  • WhimsicalFireflyWhimsicalFirefly Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    I love the change to crafting! Even after 3 1/2 years of playing, I have to reference the website to craft certain items that I don't usually need. Plus, not having to load the ingredients will save time. Can't wait to start trick or treating! Thanks for updating us on the plan.
  • JackFuryJackFury Member
    edited October 2018
    The new crafting system looks great! I honestly prefer the current one, but that's just because I'm an old Cubicer. Maybe you could include a button to check on an anvil or workbench that reverts it to the original? Or have two separate pages, one for crafting and one for recipes? I don't know. If it's too much work, then don't worry about it. I just enjoy the current one, and I'll miss having to make treks to the Learning Center or visiting the website. This doesn't affect me that much anyways since I already have almost all of the recipes memorized ;)
    I know this new system will be easier and more efficient, especially for new players, but I'm nostalgic and I don't like changes like this in games. That's just me. I'm still getting used to the new title screen, as great as it looks.
    My advice is this: continue to improve the game, but don't change the fundamentals too much. That's how games have died in the past: when they implement something that, while it is new and cool, it changes the feel of the game so much that a lot of older players quit because it doesn't feel the same. (Looking at you, MineCraft.)
    Good luck getting the game out to more people, and happy developing ^^

Edit: Another idea: For faster development, you could always find a few players to help you design and texture items. Some of us are quite adept with Blender, and others good at texturing and artwork. I know some people might whine about "favoritism", but people whining shouldn't hold you back from speeding up the dev process. Just a suggestion; it might work but it might also not work.
  • Great ideas, great content. Like the new crafting system, makes it a lot easier for both new and senior players. But i always ask myself how do you guys never run out of ideas for new clothes blocks etc. You must have great minds. My brain cells would probably be burned or heavily damaged by now lol. Anyways, continue supplying the game with awesome new ideas such as this one and a lot of them before and you should be good. Players will eventually come, however it would be awesome if you did some adverts.(its just my idea, of course you dont have to)
    Good luck with further development. :)
  • The guy who suggested the idea was pretty good too xD and he stil is xD
  • ok now numpties like me find it easier to craft tysm
  • Thank you for communicating with us. I think you have done an excellent job on improving the game for new people. I can say a large percent of older players like myself quit at first because the game was overwhelming with no tutorials. The game has been VASTLY improved to cater to beginners and I love all the additions added like the single player adventure, etc. The crafting station with recipes is a great addition and I would love to see it expanded upon.
  • b3achyb3achy Member
    edited October 2018
    Love the new crafting station. Great job. Love that it pulls from our inventories, instead of having us load up the anvil. This change more closely aligns with the crafting in a couple of other games that I used to play.

Wish the recipes were more 'discovery'...ie, you can't make something automatically until you first discover it, but it might not be possible with the newest interface.

This will help with the basic recipes...though "craft max" will be all the more dangerous for those that carry a lot in their inventories - hopefully you include a 'do you really want to do that' screen for craft max now. Would love an option to designate how many of an item to make rather than having our only options being 1 or everything.

Thanks for discussion the way ahead! I think that always helps with expectation management for the players. I agree, some of the core things do need redesigning, so you can do even greater things for us in the future.

Looking forward to the halloween event as I loved the Easter event. Hoping I can get a shark head from one of my packs...cue my theme song..."Fins" by Jimmy Buffett. (bet you thought I was going to say Jaws...lol) :)

BTW, did you mean to call it "Tick or Treat" or is that a typo in the Halloween Bag menu window? I'm hoping we don't get Ticks...they carry all sorts of yucky diseases...lol...
  • ^ I too would love a "discovery" option, but it's catered towards new players, so yeah ;)

I was hoping discovery as well, but we can't have everything :'(
  • Graceful ThunderGraceful Thunder Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    The recipes being directly in the anvil does sound good. But I kinda like the older way where we can split stacks and more easily control what we are doing Craft Max with. Will this accommodate that somehow?
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    I’m just trying to figure out how to craft anvils.
  • elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember
    maybe its an idea to look into the title screen crashy stuff first?
  • The recipes being directly in the anvil does sound good. But I kinda like the older way where we can split stacks and more easily control what we are doing Craft Max with. Will this accommodate that somehow?

Smart thinking. That's what I always do (regarding the splitting xD)

maybe its an idea to look into the title screen crashy stuff first?

Are you talking about not being able to get into the game on mobile? If so, I agree completely! It can take upwards of 3-4 times to get into the game. Although I do think this is neat. Overall, ty Devs!
  • Maybe you should add an option to disable the new crafting menu. Some of us older players may like classic crafting better. Good idea to help keep some new players in. Another reason why new players often give up is because they think it's too hard to earn cubits. Maybe in the future you could add a tutorial realm on earning cubits like the "learn the controls" realm when you first create an account. Hopefully cubic will only continue to grow :)
  • Thanks for the update, I really appreciate it. I was losing hope and was like "All hope is abandoned". But now i'm really hyped for what is upcoming to bring more players to the game and the new Halloween update of course. It will be nice to see if the new crafting system will potentially bring more players to the game. I also love the new handhelds, such highly requested items being brought in now! The hype is real.
  • The new handhelds give me life! I am going to boop everyone with my nature stick, boop them in the eye, make them blink in pain, and swipe their cubits.
  • I kind of like it, but how would you decide what you want to craft? "I wanna make 5 sandstone"
    Would I have to drop all the sand blocks besides 25 sand for craft max to work? ( I'm pretty sure it takes 4 sand maybe 5 sorry XD)
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer

^ I too would love a "discovery" option, but it's catered towards new players, so yeah ;)

I did have this idea at one point that you'd find recipe books in mines and then new recipes would be added that way.

But again, while I appreciate some people may prefer the old way, the goal here is really to make the game more accessible to new players and to grow the player base, not to add new mini games etc... So while it may not be directly targeted at you guys who've played a long time already, if it works/helps then more people will be playing in the long run, and I think that's good for everyone. It's probably also impossible to make core changes to a game without at least some people preferring how it "was before", but if we never make any changes to the core game, then there's not really much hope of improvement or change (positive or negative). There's always a risk with this kind of change... but as they say.. no risk no reward :-)
  • If you haven't seen it, here's a screenshot of the new crafting menu from Gdog's video:

I have been thinking about something like this forever! Finally!
  • ^ I too would love a "discovery" option, but it's catered towards new players, so yeah ;)

I did have this idea at one point that you'd find recipe books in mines and then new recipes would be added that way.

But again, while I appreciate some people may prefer the old way, the goal here is really to make the game more accessible to new players and to grow the player base, not to add new mini games etc... So while it may not be directly targeted at you guys who've played a long time already, if it works/helps then more people will be playing in the long run, and I think that's good for everyone. It's probably also impossible to make core changes to a game without at least some people preferring how it "was before", but if we never make any changes to the core game, then there's not really much hope of improvement or change (positive or negative). There's always a risk with this kind of change... but as they say.. no risk no reward :-)
    Omg pls yes add that, we(some peeps) can wait for it ! :OOO

Very wise. *Bows*
  • well done :)
  • I like this....! Give your self an pat on the back Sir.Kewberth...! You've done an Wondaful Job. :)
  • elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember

^ I too would love a "discovery" option, but it's catered towards new players, so yeah ;)

Well you can change a core feature by making also an option to switch between core and new, more games does this and works pretty well