Ocarina Playing ?

I have an ocarina and have recently been wanting to learn to play it..If anyone has any tips, can you share? :D It is a 4-hole ocarina. I want to memorize the notes and play faster :D

Comments

• Playing faster and memorizing notes comes down to practice. I recommend doing whole notes to help build a better tone and airstream.
    I know this not from experience with an ocarina but other instruments such as clarinet and saxophone.
  • It's like a flute, don't blow like an elephant! And let the mgic begin.. Also ye, practice is the key.
  • Looked it up on google... that's such a weird instrument. Good luck though. I play trumpet so I couldn't give you any tips :p
  • Try "chunking" it. Chunking is a phsychological exercise used to memorize and expand your overall memory. Try maybe the first ten notes. After you have that, the next ten notes. Once you have two pieces (twenty notes now), bring em all together. Then the next ten. Try the thirty. This is used all around the world, and has proven to be VERY helpful. If you ever have a speech tompractice, try this too. It may not work for you, and that's alright. All people are different. So try ten new notes, and add it to the song. Remember, only add them in once you have that chunk memorized. Unless you wanna hear it altogether early, to help with it. This may not even make sense, but just TRY it, and tell me how it went. Good luck! Also if possible, record yourself if you feel comfortable with that. I must hear Tumble play music!
  • elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember
    Maybe if you try to look of footage of a zelda game where you have to play the ocarina that you can see which buttons you need to press and when to press
  • Maybe if you try to look of footage of a zelda game where you have to play the ocarina that you can see which buttons you need to press and when to press

I would like to, but Ocarina of Time is the only game with an ocarina (as far as I'm aware,) and sadly Link's fingers never move when you play it. lol
    It was a nice idea tho :D

Try "chunking" it. Chunking is a phsychological exercise used to memorize and expand your overall memory. Try maybe the first ten notes. After you have that, the next ten notes. Once you have two pieces (twenty notes now), bring em all together. Then the next ten. Try the thirty. This is used all around the world, and has proven to be VERY helpful. If you ever have a speech tompractice, try this too. It may not work for you, and that's alright. All people are different. So try ten new notes, and add it to the song. Remember, only add them in once you have that chunk memorized. Unless you wanna hear it altogether early, to help with it. This may not even make sense, but just TRY it, and tell me how it went. Good luck! Also if possible, record yourself if you feel comfortable with that. I must hear Tumble play music!

Oh that sounds like a neat idea :O The 4 hole has 16 notes I think, so maybe I could do 4 at a time :O That's a good idea, I'll try that :D
    (and maybe record myself if I'm good at it! :P)
    Log_er said:

Looked it up on google... that's such a weird instrument. Good luck though. I play trumpet so I couldn't give you any tips :p

It's not a common one, that's for sure...You rarely ever see it it seems

It's like a flute, don't blow like an elephant! And let the mgic begin.. Also ye, practice is the key.

Ha, this is helpful for me, cause I always seem to blow too hard D:
    'Sir.Fox' said:

Playing faster and memorizing notes comes down to practice. I recommend doing whole notes to help build a better tone and airstream.
    I know this not from experience with an ocarina but other instruments such as clarinet and saxophone.

Thank you! I've only actually tried the ocarina once but still do want to learn it. I will practice for sure :D