In the UK, why do you drive on the left side of the road?

The biggest question in my head being an American...
Why do British people drive on the left side of the road?
I'm not criticizing y'all for it. I've always had this question in mind.

Comments

• I believe this should answer all your questions.
    https://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/

Also, this discussion should be in the "Off-Topic" section :)
  • Where in the "Off Topic" section? There are 3 categorys there, art, music, and forum games. Doesn't belong there :p
  • It's nice being part of the minority, with steering wheels on the right handside too.
  • The UK are probably wondering why americans drive on the right side of the road :P!

I don't know, maybe it was just whoever was in charge at those times decided how it was.
  • It comes down to different cultures is all, America adopted driving on the right side while England adopted driving on the left side.
  • Also, when America won freedom from Britain, we changed a lot of things to make sure we were different from them. That's why we changed our language, altered our culture, stopped certain British traditions, and much more. This is also why we use the Imperial system while the rest of the world is Metric: Britain switched to the Metric, so we stayed with Imperial to be different from them. Yes, the system isn't as good as Metric, but it has a reason behind it.
  • JackFury said:

Also, when America won freedom from Britain, we changed a lot of things to make sure we were different from them. That's why we changed our language, altered our culture, stopped certain British traditions, and much more. This is also why we use the Imperial system while the rest of the world is Metric: Britain switched to the Metric, so we stayed with Imperial to be different from them. Yes, the system isn't as good as Metric, but it has a reason behind it.

INDEPENDENCE!!!
  • That makes sense xD
  • Sir. PixelSir. Pixel EnglandMember
    england ftw
  • england ftw

England, nah.
  • JackFury said:

Also, when America won freedom from Britain, we changed a lot of things to make sure we were different from them. That's why we changed our language, altered our culture, stopped certain British traditions, and much more. This is also why we use the Imperial system while the rest of the world is Metric: Britain switched to the Metric, so we stayed with Imperial to be different from them. Yes, the system isn't as good as Metric, but it has a reason behind it.

What he said. Jack is always good at history. And a good thing, because I don't want to have to correct him.
  • I know American history well but nobody ever told me that xD
  • Log_er said:

I know American history well but nobody ever told me that xD

One of the biggest people in changes was Noah Webster when he wrote A Compendius Dictionary of the English Language. It was in that book that he made multiple changes to the spelling and pronunciation of a lot of English words. Others followed in his footsteps with other changes, such as which side of the road we drive on. It's rather petty that we changed it, but funny all the same because it was a final blow to the British when they lost America.
  • JackFury said:

Log_er said:

I know American history well but nobody ever told me that xD

One of the biggest people in changes was Noah Webster when he wrote A Compendius Dictionary of the English Language. It was in that book that he made multiple changes to the spelling and pronunciation of a lot of English words. Others followed in his footsteps with other changes, such as which side of the road we drive on. It's rather petty that we changed it, but funny all the same because it was a final blow to the British when they lost America.
    lol we fight with words. Sometimes i accidentally pronounce words the British way.