Need Computer Buying Help

Thanks to Will I now have direction but I need help narrowing down. I need a person who understands computers to aid me :O:! My list of requirements-

1.Computer is less than $300, preferably at the $200 or lower mark. Refurbishes are fine.

2. Upgrading computer components like adding a better graphics card is also fine as I have the knowledge to do this!

3. Preferably it is not one the compact cases and is a standard sized chassis to allow for easier upgrading

What I need help with is a person that can say this is a good purchase, this computer would run better, and increase my computer knowledge by explaining things to me like what is the difference between said computers.

There are several links I am going to provide the first link is the one Will provided and is the pool of potential computer candidates.

https://www.amazon.com/Desktops-Under-500-Computers-Tablets/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n:565098,p_36:2421880011

The computer that I am thinking about is

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-Performance-M91P-Refurbished/dp/B01N12D432/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Contrasting suggestions are welcomed.

Just as a disclaimer I am not looking for a super computer, these computers are going to be five hundred times better than my current laptop and a substantial upgrade which is what is important. If I get a computer that is 200 or less there is a high likely hood that I will be able to get it now because I will be able to afford it right away vs. say purchasing a 500 dollar computer. Thanks for reading all this :)!

Comments

• WhimsicalFireflyWhimsicalFirefly Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    edited August 2018
    I'm not going to claim to know a lot about computers but the Lenovo you are considering is a SFF (Small Form Factor) model which means it has a smaller case. Good Luck on your search!
  • JuIiusJuIius Member
    edited August 2018
    I can help you grey. This is probably the best laptop possible to buy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-C400-Laptop-with-CD-Floppy-Extra-HD-WIN-XP-PIII-1-2Ghz-1GB-RAM/223081910013?hash=item33f0b7cefd:g:iYUAAOSw~OhbX2wp

Are you sure you can afford it? It is pretty expensive, at $17.50
  • lucaaa795lucaaa795 Potatoe's worldMember

I can help you grey. This is probably the best laptop possible to buy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-C400-Laptop-with-CD-Floppy-Extra-HD-WIN-XP-PIII-1-2Ghz-1GB-RAM/223081910013?hash=item33f0b7cefd:g:iYUAAOSw~OhbX2wp

Are you sure you can afford it? It is pretty expensive, at $17.50

Omg

• edited August 2018
    Thanks Whim and Red. I will further look into your links Red, thank you so much ^_^.

Silverdash what is funny that laptop has about the same specs as my current laptop! I think albeit the specs on that laptop are better ahaha.

Edit: I FREAKING DID IT I ORDERED A FLIPPING COMPUTER!!! I am not going to reveal which computer I went with because secrets are fun. I want to thank you all for helping me. Red helped point me to V.I.P outlet and that is a paradise! I really liked the Ryzen build but it was not in my budget sadly.

I went with a computer that is a little under two hundred dollars. It is a band aid computer because anything right now is better than this laptop I have that is about to go out any day. Also it is not a waste of money because my mom needs a computer and when I am able to I will upgrade with a larger budget set in place. This computer I have selected not only serves my purposes but it will more than serve my moms when she inherits it.

There are a few caveats however. I will more than likely need to upgrade to a dedicated graphics card to play larger games like Sims 4 but that is not a problem. Graphic cards are cheap and I know I can find one for forty or less. Last caveat is I will need a wifi adapter so I do not have to have the desktop in the front room tethered by an ethernet cable. I want privacy and to be able to be in my room. Neither of these are large issues and I will just take care of them later down the road.