There's moss on trees?

JackFuryJackFury Member
edited July 2018 in General Chat
When did this happen? You can find Mossy Tree Trunks at random in Forest Mines. The moss always faces North (though it's a myth that moss only grows North) so it's easy enough to find. Still, when was this added? And will the new trunks have a use? I've seen them in the files for a loooong time, so it is nice to see them added.

Comments

• I think its added today
  • A couple of days ago it was added but maybe the moss grows north because of it being closer to the sun and photosynthesis and stoofs like that
  • A couple of days ago it was added but maybe the moss grows north because of it being closer to the sun and photosynthesis and stoofs like that

No it is a myth :)
    Moss can literally grow on any side of a tree. No side is going to be more or less, it all depends on the tree and its position and all that. I like how I don't need to move my camera to find them though.

Guys, remember that I haven't been playing much for the past couple of days, so I have no idea what's been going on. And no, moss can grow in any direction, not just north :)
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator

A couple of days ago it was added but maybe the moss grows north because of it being closer to the sun and photosynthesis and stoofs like that

No it is a myth :)
    Moss can literally grow on any side of a tree. No side is going to be more or less, it all depends on the tree and its position and all that. I like how I don't need to move my camera to find them though.
    Not a myth but there are many varible for moss growth. If its a smooth surface and above the ground then in the northern hemispere it will grow prodominantly on the north side. Moss needs a wet surface to grow on and midday the sun will be doing most of the drying on the south side.
    https://www.naturalnavigator.com/the-library/the-truth-about-moss
  • This is game logic
    Nothing even makes sense anymore
  • edited July 2018
    When there is at least five topics on the subject of moss and the holy moth balls what is this O_O! Devs be snatching our moss.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Cubic moss actually grows based on cubesynthesis which is a special game-form of the photosynthesis process where light from computer monitors is digitally converted to growth energy by pixelphyls contained in small green pixelplasts in the digimoss. I think that should totally explain the growth patterns for you guys.
  • Cubic moss actually grows based on cubesynthesis which is a special game-form of the photosynthesis process where light from computer monitors is digitally converted to growth energy by pixelphyls contained in small green pixelplasts in the digimoss. I think that should totally explain the growth patterns for you guys.

• Everyone save Forests Trees! Turn your brightness to 1% percent.

Cubic moss actually grows based on cubesynthesis which is a special game-form of the photosynthesis process where light from computer monitors is digitally converted to growth energy by pixelphyls contained in small green pixelplasts in the digimoss. I think that should totally explain the growth patterns for you guys.

And... Are deep forest mines ones that are exposed to much brightness thats ehy everything turned to moss like?
  • Log_erLog_er Member

I don't understand it but I'll take it!

In cc the moss grows on 2 sides. In real life moss grows on the north side because the sun is on the south side and will kill moss off, Mushrooms grow in the dark and sunlight kills them (IRL). Both are fungi and both thrive in the absence of light.
  • Intimate said:

A couple of days ago it was added but maybe the moss grows north because of it being closer to the sun and photosynthesis and stoofs like that

In cc the moss grows on 2 sides. In real life moss grows on the north side because the sun is on the south side and will kill moss off, Mushrooms grow in the dark and sunlight kills them (IRL). Both are fungi and both thrive in the absence of light.
    For starters, moss is a plant. Not lichen, not fungi, but a plant. And they are quite adaptable ones at that. But if we wanted to say they needed the dark:

When large trees grow close together it forms what is called a canopy. It's where new trees find it hard to grow. There is little amounts of light, and moss grows everywhere.

When a tree can no longer create leaves (lack of cabium cells), or is dying, it no longer has shade for there to be a darker ecosystem. When a tree has leaves, there is lack of sun and moss can grow quite a bit. Not just on the north side. Even through there is sun "on the south side", the tree still is covered by the leaves.

So moss does not just grow on the north side, and can growing any side it wants to *moss crosses arms and drops shoulders*. So yeah. They either don't grow at all, or grow on any side. Just saying, go to any bush (Canada has loads of you wanna come see), and you will notice it grows on any side, not just the north side.

It also grows on most kinds of rocks (whether the rock is in complete sun or not).
  • WhimsicalFireflyWhimsicalFirefly Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    edited July 2018
    One area of my backyard is covered in moss. It grows everywhere, on the ground, rocks and all sides of the trees and sun doesn't kill it. It will even grow up onto a terracotta flower pot if you leave it out in that area for a few weeks. It's really pretty.

@Intimate Mushrooms can grow in the sun. That is another thing we have that grows wild in our yard. They grow in the full sun areas, not just under the trees. I have days where I wish the sun would kill them because they are a pain to get rid of once they start growing. I was in my front yard (where there are no trees or shade) last week carefully picking the ones that were growing. They spread like wildfire if you disturb the spores too much. Maybe you live somewhere that it is very dry so they won't grow well. We live in a very humid area so moss and mushrooms are common to see in yards.
  • One area of my backyard is covered in moss. It grows everywhere, on the ground, rocks and all sides of the trees and sun doesn't kill it. It will even grow up onto a terracotta flower pot if you leave it out in that area for a few weeks. It's really pretty.

@Intimate Mushrooms can grow in the sun. That is another thing we have that grows wild in our yard. They grow in the full sun areas, not just under the trees. I have days where I wish the sun would kill them because they are a pain to get rid of once they start growing. I was in my front yard (where there are no trees or shade) last week carefully picking the ones that were growing. They spread like wildfire if you disturb the spores too much. Maybe you live somewhere that it is very dry so they won't grow well. We live in a very humid area so moss and mushrooms are common to see in yards.

Agreed. We grow moss cause it's pretty!
  • Log_erLog_er Member
    So many words... My brain!