Correction

Capi5604Capi5604 Member
edited July 2018 in General Chat
I saw where Space Fetus said Elizabeth Tower is called Big Ben. Well, I have an explanation
Big Ben is the nickname for the Great Bell of the clock at the north end of the Palace of Westminster in London and is usually extended to refer to both the clock and the clock tower. The official name of the tower in which Big Ben is located was originally the Clock Tower, but it was renamed Elizabeth Tower in 2012 to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II.
- Wikipedia

Comments

• Sir. PixelSir. Pixel EnglandMember
    Why is this such a big problem lol. It's nicknamed Big Ben in England. Done
  • Because some people are really clueless. @Sir. Pixel
  • The Big Ben in London has always been called the Big Ben for a long time now. And it isn't a big deal. Wikipedia isn't always right. Double check your sources and dont just go off of one.
  • space_fetusspace_fetus Forum Moderator, Game Moderator

just pointing out both me and pixel are english so there's a source on that. Also the builds labelled big ben in the contest..
  • Bluejay_1Bluejay_1 Member
    edited July 2018
    I'm an American and I have always heard Big Ben.
    lucaaa795 said:

same tower, 2 names. The popular one and the historical one.
    not that much of a problem to me since its still same tower no matter what word you call it

Well said
  • Lucas The SpiderLucas The Spider U.K, England Member

just pointing out both me and pixel are english so there's a source on that. Also the builds labelled big ben in the contest..
    It is Big Ben, I've personally never heard anyone call it Elizabeth Tower.
  • Why is this such a big problem lol. It's nicknamed Big Ben in England. Done

I know right!
  • The Big Ben in London has always been called the Big Ben for a long time now. And it isn't a big deal. Wikipedia isn't always right. Double check your sources and dont just go off of one.

Bluejay_1 said:

I know right!

Bluejay_1 said:

lucaaa795 said:

not that much of a problem to me since its still same tower no matter what word you call it

Well said
    lucaaa795 said:

The Big Ben in London has always been called the Big Ben for a long time now. And it isn't a big deal. Wikipedia isn't always right. Double check your sources and dont just go off of one.

Also MostAmazingTop10 says so, I am not a fan of them either.... BBC Also, says that
  • Big Ben is just the more popular name for it.
    And search just "Big Ben" and what do you get?
  • Rogue ThingRogue Thing Member
    edited July 2018
    You people are clueless! The clock is Big Ben and the tower is Elizabeth Tower.
    This is when I searched, "Is Big Ben the tower or bell?": The Houses of Parliament and Elizabeth Tower, commonly called Big Ben, are among London's most iconic landmarks and must-see London attractions. Technically, Big Ben is the name given to the massive bell inside the clock tower, which weighs more than 13 tons (13,760 kg).
  • space_fetusspace_fetus Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    The Elizabeth Tower is the name of the famous tower of Parliament - more popularly known as Big Ben. Although often referred to as Big Ben, this is actually the nickname of the bell housed within the Elizabeth Tower - and Big Ben's official name is the Great Bell.
  • The Elizabeth Tower is the name of the famous tower of Parliament - more popularly known as Big Ben. Although often referred to as Big Ben, this is actually the nickname of the bell housed within the Elizabeth Tower - and Big Ben's official name is the Great Bell.

That's what I said.
  • Bluejay_1 said:

lucaaa795 said:

Well said

The Big Ben in London has always been called the Big Ben for a long time now. And it isn't a big deal. Wikipedia isn't always right. Double check your sources and dont just go off of one.

Bluejay_1 said:

I know right!

Bluejay_1 said:

lucaaa795 said:

Well said
    lucaaa795 said:

Also MostAmazingTop10 says so, I am not a fan of them either.... BBC Also, says that
    Ok cool the MostAmazingTop10 team says so. But its false. So drop it.
  • It is not false, just because you disagree it does not mean it is false. Advice: Read more books
  • Bluejay_1Bluejay_1 Member
    edited July 2018
    @Rogue Thing @Capt. Capi is there's anything wrong with calling it Big Ben? If so why? If not then let the name be...
  • Bluejay_1 said:

@Rogue Thing @Capt. Capi is there's anything wrong with calling it Big Ben? If so why? If not then let the name be...

True, I suggest to everyone however to say the same to those who try to be the grammar police..
  • PiousPious Member
    I for one think it's called Small Ben.
  • AshiMagariAshiMagari The internet :PMember
    "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other word would smell as sweet."

It's a tall skinny thing in England that tells time. As long as you both know you're talking about the same thing, what does it matter what the given name is?
  • JackFuryJackFury Member
    edited July 2018
    *sees people bickering*

• PiousPious Member
    Teeny Tiny Tower of Ben it is!
  • Lucas The SpiderLucas The Spider U.K, England Member
    You all love your facts from the Internet sure, but as someone who is actually English I've always called it Big Ben, I will always call it Big Ben and I will never stop calling it Big Ben. Everyone I know calls it Big Ben... But for the sack of not staying on my side of whatever this is, to someone who isn't English it could be considered Elizabeth Tower BUT to English people it is Big Ben. Here's an example, ignore the content, just stats both names:

https://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/building/palace/big-ben/elizabeth-tower-and-big-ben-conservation-works-2017-/all-your-questions-about-the-works-answered/
  • I dont care if its called Big Ben or Elizabeth Tower, they're both the same tower.Its just like you can call a 'pocket knife' a 'knife' too
  • Flooks said:

I dont care if its called Big Ben or Elizabeth Tower, they're both the same tower.Its just like you can call a 'pocket knife' a 'knife' too

XD agreed
  • Guys seriously stop
    Its not a big matter
  • Guys seriously stop
    Its not a big matter

Yup, one side goes at it, then the other side does, just close this discussion..
  • This is the reason why the community is dumb as rocks.
This discussion has been closed.