Community Issues

JackFuryJackFury Member
edited May 2018 in Community

Ok, with all the recent drama, I suppose I need to say my piece. It's about the word "scam", as well as multiple other issues.

This word is used so much by the Cubic community. Players use it as an insult for anyone they don't like, as well as a term for anyone who breaks any kind of rule. Did you guys know that there are around 200,000 words in the English language but the only word you can use is "scam" or "scammer"? The definition of scam is someone who sets up a scheme to trick someone of their valuables. This does apply to some, but not all, cases. If someone with permission in your place steals your stuff and runs, that is not a scam, that is a robbery. Here are a few synonyms for the ridiculously overused word:

- Fraud
- Hoax
- Con

If something is "overpriced" (though this is a free market, nothing is ever truly overpriced), then it is a "rip-off", not a scam.

If someone claims to do a giveaway just to get you to their vending shop, that is not a scam. It's certainly not very nice, and is a rather sleazy way to get customers, but is it a scam? No. It is a gimmick; a machination.

Another term for a shady person is "swindler". It means literally the same thing as scammer, but it is not overused to the point of exhaustion.

While I'm on this note, who thought it was a great idea to go around Pen's Yard Rentals with a low level account, offer to sell something expensive for a low price, and then call the buyer a scammer? All while recording for "scam awareness"? If someone offers to sell you something for a good price, you won't say no. Why would they assume the "new player" doesn't know the price? It is incredibly unlikely that a new person would have something like that and yet not know its worth.

Stop making speeches about how "the community is cancerous and full of scammers".
Stop whining about "mods cheating to get stuff and not doing their jobs". They're doing the best they can.
Stop calling everything a "scam".
Stop fishing for attention by starting meaningless flame wars.
Stop putting polls at the end of your whiny speeches asking if you're right.

It saddens me to see the direction several players are going; the fights they're starting, and the sides they're taking. We aren't starting a civil war here. Yes, there are people who would love to steal your stuff. Those people will always exist. But moderators cannot punish them without solid evidence. It's not their fault you can't remember the player's username and don't have any screenshots or anything to help. Just like in real life, court cases are not won on the word of one witness. Just don't give people permission around your valuables. If you hate the community and don't trust anyone, why do you give them access?

Space is doing the best he can for official event prizes. He can't put a prize dispenser at the end because people always abuse those. All it takes is a desktop PC, a phone, an iPad, and 3 accounts, and said person can have 3 helpings of prizes. These raffles are the only way to distribute prizes. If you're salty because you lost, too bad. No one likes a sore loser, and it won't help your case to whine on the forums in all caps with a poll asking if you're right.

Guys, just play smart. Don't fall for tricks. If you must give people permission, stash your valuables in another room. Don't buy shady warp crunch. Don't spam the "Trade" button in the register or they will switch the item. Don't rent plots and place valuables unless it's at a trusted place such as Pen's. Don't play drop games.

But most of all, Do not complain. Do not cause controversy. Do not insult other players. Do not blame the mods. Do not whine. Do not spread rumors. Do not cause fights. Common human courtesy is all we need, and several of you are severely lacking in that department. I'm not naming names, but you know who you are. A little kindness goes a long way. Everyone is opinionated. We have the right of free speech online. That doesn't mean you need to abuse it. If everyone chose their words and actions carefully, maybe the community wouldn't be so bad.

TL;DR: Llamas are taking over the world and Space is secretly a Mooshroom.

Comments

• Lucas The SpiderLucas The Spider U.K, England Member
    Very well said, Jack. I agree with everything you've said. Sadly people will most likely turn this topic into another war zone.
  • Very well said, Jack. I agree with everything you've said. Sadly people will most likely turn this topic into another war zone.

Yes, I am afraid of that, but this needed to be said.
  • Ok....my post..got it.

Stop making speeches about how "the community is cancerous and full of scammers".
    It is. We all know it. Why? Cause more horrible people play. What happened to fun game player with no negativity?
    Stop whining about "mods cheating to get stuff and not doing their jobs". They're doing the best they can.
    Ok, true, but maybe add a few more mods for less stress.
    Not everything is a scam, but people do scam. Stealing=scam? Maybe. But having a underpriced item for sale isn't a scam.
    Attention? No, I just said what I needed to say.
    Hmm........who did that? I didn't. XD
  • b3achyb3achy Member
    edited May 2018
    For OP/JackFury: **Stands**, **claps**, Shouts, "Bravo! Well said!"
  • I agree with everything you are saying jack, except the part about the events having to be a raffle, I get that peeps can easily steal the prizes in a despenser, but I do believe that the fact that some guys have "won" them more then 3 times is fishy, and I believe its time that we investigate that issue. And one more thing, the mods aren't god, and they must be held accountable for their mistakes and abuses of power, we cannot forget gollum, his example must be remembered so we see what happens to those who abuse their privileges..
  • JackFuryJackFury Member
    edited May 2018

I agree with everything you are saying jack, except the part about the events having to be a raffle, I get that peeps can easily steal the prizes in a despenser, but I do believe that the fact that some guys have "won" them more then 3 times is fishy, and I believe its time that we investigate that issue. And one more thing, the mods aren't god, and they must be held accountable for their mistakes and abuses of power, we cannot forget gollum, his example must be remembered so we see what happens to those who abuse their privileges..

Yes, I understand. The mods do make mistakes. But they don't do all wrong, and some players act like they do. The moderators are not a high-ranking class of bullies who do whatever they want, ban whomever they want, and break all their guidelines. I do remember Gollum, but none of the current mods have abused their power, as far as I know. We would hear about it, for sure.
    I'm not sure how Space does the raffles but I would assume he's using a random number generator to pick the winning numbers. That makes all of our chances of getting prizes equal. I actually have an idea for a solution, though it may be complicated to create: a way to send out the same prize to everyone who got on the bumper with 1 click. Unfortunately, alternates could still be an issue, but what can you do.

Also, Mad Dog, this post wasn't about you. I don't feel right blaming anyone, calling them out, or otherwise slandering them. This thread is not targeting you, and I'm truly sorry if it feels that way. I'm not sure if this is your 2nd ban or 3rd, but I hope you get at least one more chance on the forums to prove that you can be peaceful :)
  • Some people need duct tape over their mouth and I am one of them :O:!

Lovely thread Jack must of taken you a century to type.
  • To be honest, I'm not used to read such long speeches, but it was interesting, so i carried on. All I can say is, yes you're right. Absolutly. Just a little point to those who don't know english as some could, they will almost always call this a scam, because of vocabulary lacking. Finally, I think this post needed to be done someday, glad you did it Jack.
  • JackFuryJackFury Member
    edited May 2018

To be honest, I'm not used to read such long speeches, but it was interesting, so i carried on. All I can say is, yes you're right. Absolutly. Just a little point to those who don't know english as some could, they will almost always call this a scam, because of vocabulary lacking. Finally, I think this post needed to be done someday, glad you did it Jack.

You know, you're right....I hadn't thought of those who don't speak English as much. I suppose they heard us morons using the word too much and picked up on it :'D

Some people need duct tape over their mouth and I am one of them :O:!

Lovely thread Jack must of taken you a century to type.

Grey you do not need duct tape over your mouth, I know you to be a positive person! We need more people who look for the best in others and find it! You are one of those people, and it is a blessing :)
  • Ok....my post..got it.

It is. We all know it. Why? Cause more horrible people play. What happened to fun game player with no negativity?
    Ok, true, but maybe add a few more mods for less stress.
    Not everything is a scam, but people do scam. Stealing=scam? Maybe. But having a underpriced item for sale isn't a scam.
    Attention? No, I just said what I needed to say.
    Hmm........who did that? I didn't. XD

Do you realise that you made a whole thread about this. Man hypocrites....
  • I have now realized after rereading my thread that I was rather negative in places, but I'm not sure how to word it otherwise ;O; help
  • JackFury said:

I have now realized after rereading my thread that I was rather negative in places, but I'm not sure how to word it otherwise ;O; help

It's okay you expressed on what you believe or your opinions. Sometimes opinions aren't well acceptable but that's what happens
  • JackFury said:

I agree with everything you are saying jack, except the part about the events having to be a raffle, I get that peeps can easily steal the prizes in a despenser, but I do believe that the fact that some guys have "won" them more then 3 times is fishy, and I believe its time that we investigate that issue. And one more thing, the mods aren't god, and they must be held accountable for their mistakes and abuses of power, we cannot forget gollum, his example must be remembered so we see what happens to those who abuse their privileges..

Yes, I understand. The mods do make mistakes. But they don't do all wrong, and some players act like they do. The moderators are not a high-ranking class of bullies who do whatever they want, ban whomever they want, and break all their guidelines. I do remember Gollum, but none of the current mods have abused their power, as far as I know. We would hear about it, for sure.
    I'm not sure how Space does the raffles but I would assume he's using a random number generator to pick the winning numbers. That makes all of our chances of getting prizes equal. I actually have an idea for a solution, though it may be complicated to create: a way to send out the same prize to everyone who got on the bumper with 1 click. Unfortunately, alternates could still be an issue, but what can you do.

Also, Mad Dog, this post wasn't about you. I don't feel right blaming anyone, calling them out, or otherwise slandering them. This thread is not targeting you, and I'm truly sorry if it feels that way. I'm not sure if this is your 2nd ban or 3rd, but I hope you get at least one more chance on the forums to prove that you can be peaceful :)
    Some do abuse their powers, that’s a problem, and I think a good solution is to have live video of the choosing of the winners using the number generator, I think it would help cement in peoples heads that everything is being done fairly :D
  • WhimsicalFireflyWhimsicalFirefly Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    edited May 2018
    @JackFury
    Well said!! Very good job staying on topic, not naming names and being as positive as you could. Thank you for saying what many of us think on a daily basis as we read though the forums and wander the world of Cubic Castles.
  • I'm glad that you made this thread and not me, cause I think I would have had a few more paragraphs, and then no one would bother reading all that XD. I was thinking about the multi-languages in CC the whole time I read, but I get the point, and I hope others do as well.
  • Well. If I was fluent in the English language like you jack I would’ve done the same. Sadly ragean isn’t a bright person. O_O
  • Another thing is how quick people are to resort to calling someone a 'noob.'

Someone doesn't sell an item at a super cheap price? Oh, they must be a noob.

You don't like someone? Noob.

They report you for something you've done? Noob.

It's annoying and literally just yesterday I was called out as a 'noob on forums and in-game' for a price of one of my items. I won't name him for obvious reasons, but it's stupid to call people noobs whenever they don't get what they want. How is one even a 'noob' on forums?

Also for the stealing thing: I feel like that is understandable for people to not know that it's not a scam. I only learnt it recently tbh.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    edited May 2018

I'm not sure how Space does the raffles but I would assume he's using a random number generator to pick the winning numbers.

A random number generator is used. We match the players name in the list to the number that popped out. Maybe Space will choose to record one, one of these days so you can see the process, but it's too time consuming to record every single drawing, so you'll just have to trust us. After all you have the option of not joining the events if you don't believe the results are fair. For our part we don't really care who wins. The point of it is to have fun things to do in the game and keep the community active.
  • I love the events and I think it is way better than before! The amount of goodies being dropped is wondrous!
  • The Death ReaperThe Death Reaper Behind youMember

I'm not sure how Space does the raffles but I would assume he's using a random number generator to pick the winning numbers.

A random number generator is used. We match the players name in the list to the number that popped out. Maybe Space will choose to record one, one of these days so you can see the process, but it's too time consuming to record every single drawing, so you'll just have to trust us. After all you have the option of not joining the events if you don't believe the results are fair. For our part we don't really care who wins. The point of it is to have fun things to do in the game and keep the community active.
    I wonder how many tokens are dropped every month. :o
  • Very well said.
  • space_fetusspace_fetus Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    edited May 2018

I have avoided speaking on the subject but if people insist on creating these threads then this is my one thing to say on the matter.
    As kew said at the end of the day it is all about fun. People complained they wanted more to do week to week and they got it. If anything the prizes are the bonus to give it a go.
    I myself considered doing a number drawing video in the first place but there are a few issues.
    If it were to be done live people would see there number come up and think they had won, but after being picked mabz then does all sorts of checks on the results. What if you had won and then you were removed for cheating in some way. That would cause all sorts of controversy.
    You would clearly see that someone who "won" had been taken off and replaced by someone else. Is it fair to publicly humiliate cheaters?
    I could record them not live but then people will complain that maybe I just cut together the footage of numbers I wanted. Not to mention how many people hassle for the results first thing on sunday, adding on to that the rendering and uploading of a video and you have a longer waiting period.

In terms of making harder events,it is quite hard to do when you have to cater to all players including those without perks. But who knows maybe we will get an item one day that allows perks to be chosen for a realm. Then I could up the difficulty knowing everyone has the potential to do it.

In terms of the judging of building contests and art contests. I feel that other players bias would be no different to my potential bias. That being said an open invitation to all moderators if they would like to help judge. Note that the results may take longer because more people will have to be online at the same time to do it. The reason I am opening it to only moderators is that they are supposed to moderate without bias and thus I believe are suited to judge without it too.

In terms of skill games and rewarded the best of the best. I will admit these events might be few and far between but a clan race will be coming later in the year. I will perhaps look into announcing the launch of events a day before so players who want to compete to be the first to finish have a fair heads up to do so with small cubit rewards.
  • Lucas The SpiderLucas The Spider U.K, England Member
    Space Fetus has confirmed Clan Race 2018?!?!?!?! -screams to self-
  • well said! at the end of the day, we are all just human here. aren't we?
    □ I'm not a robot

• I'm not sure how Space does the raffles but I would assume he's using a random number generator to pick the winning numbers.

I have avoided speaking on the subject but if people insist on creating these threads then this is my one thing to say on the matter.
    As kew said at the end of the day it is all about fun. People complained they wanted more to do week to week and they got it. If anything the prizes are the bonus to give it a go.
    I myself considered doing a number drawing video in the first place but there are a few issues.
    If it were to be done live people would see there number come up and think they had won, but after being picked mabz then does all sorts of checks on the results. What if you had won and then you were removed for cheating in some way. That would cause all sorts of controversy.
    You would clearly see that someone who "won" had been taken off and replaced by someone else. Is it fair to publicly humiliate cheaters?
    I could record them not live but then people will complain that maybe I just cut together the footage of numbers I wanted. Not to mention how many people hassle for the results first thing on sunday, adding on to that the rendering and uploading of a video and you have a longer waiting period.

In terms of making harder events,it is quite hard to do when you have to cater to all players including those without perks. But who knows maybe we will get an item one day that allows perks to be chosen for a realm. Then I could up the difficulty knowing everyone has the potential to do it.

In terms of the judging of building contests and art contests. I feel that other players bias would be no different to my potential bias. That being said an open invitation to all moderators if they would like to help judge. Note that the results may take longer because more people will have to be online at the same time to do it. The reason I am opening it to only moderators is that they are supposed to moderate without bias and thus I believe are suited to judge without it too.

In terms of skill games and rewarded the best of the best. I will admit these events might be few and far between but a clan race will be coming later in the year. I will perhaps look into announcing the launch of events a day before so players who want to compete to be the first to finish have a fair heads up to do so with small cubit rewards.
    I don't believe you understand how judging works, its not one person who judges, its supposed to be a panel, and no, the judges DO NOT have to be mods, since you just stated that all people are biased, how can you say that mods won't be? We want trusted members of the community judging, why can't there be different people judging every event? any person who can be trusted( has good rep, etc) can be selected for the panel, just like a jury, and so its fair and everyone has a fair shake, also, everyone should get a chance to be judge, so NO selecting the same person over and over. And you say there will be problems with live recording the selecting of winners? then put a limit on how many people can win, I am tired of the same people winning( which are all rich, seem to all be your friends, etc). There, please make the selection process fair, thank you :D
    edited May 2018

I don't believe you understand how judging works, its not one person who judges, its supposed to be a panel, and no, the judges DO NOT have to be mods, since you just stated that all people are biased, how can you say that mods won't be? We want trusted members of the community judging, why can't there be different people judging every event? any person who can be trusted( has good rep, etc) can be selected for the panel, just like a jury, and so its fair and everyone has a fair shake, also, everyone should get a chance to be judge, so NO selecting the same person over and over. And you say there will be problems with live recording the selecting of winners? then put a limit on how many people can win, I am tired of the same people winning( which are all rich, seem to all be your friends, etc). There, please make the selection process fair, thank you :D
    What you are asking for is a chance to open judging to the community, getting a different set of people and having them all available at the same time is simply too much of an ask. Mods are the obvious choice as they are the highest trusted players (you dont just get made a mod for no reason) this creates the panel of judges you ask for.
    As far as "my friends" winning all the events only a small few of the players that have won multiple events are even on my friends list. You dont see anyone complaining about the majority of the multiple winners..
    Removing people from having the option to win is incredibly unfair regardless of if I know them personally or not.
    This wasnt a comment to open up arguments it was simply a comment to reflect my thought process and to allow people to understand that I do listen and am open to taking ideas on board.
    If you dont like what there is to be said then its really too bad.

• I'm not sure how Space does the raffles but I would assume he's using a random number generator to pick the winning numbers.

What you are asking for is a chance to open judging to the community, getting a different set of people and having them all available at the same time is simply too much of an ask. Mods are the obvious choice as they are the highest trusted players (you dont just get made a mod for no reason) this creates the panel of judges you ask for.
    As far as "my friends" winning all the events only a small few of the players that have won multiple events are even on my friends list. You dont see anyone complaining about the majority of the multiple winners..
    Removing people from having the option to win is incredibly unfair regardless of if I know them personally or not.
    This wasnt a comment to open up arguments it was simply a comment to reflect my thought process and to allow people to understand that I do listen and am open to taking ideas on board.
    If you dont like what there is to be said then its really too bad.
    ok, first, your last statement could be said about you, where am I upset about you or anything else? I appreciate what you do, as I have stated before, so for you to say that is unnecessary and childish, since the same could be said of you and anyone else that commented on this thread, also, why don't you reread what I said before you start saying stuff that isn't true, I meant SELECTING players like in a JURY for each event, with different people EACH TIME, again, get your facts straight..

Wow... you people don’t get it...
    BUILDING REQUIRES SKILLS!
    For gods sake, if a builder is talented why not make him win? SO you just want all skillful builders to stay out of contests? That is so unfair, i am glad expert builders are finally getting cubits by showing off their skills! The selection process is already fair and i am 100% sure if you were one of the constant building contest winners, this thread wouldn’t be here. You’re just complaining cause you never won one, or you’re ‘jealous?’ Of the same people winning?
    I’ve seen Ed, he’s a great builder, there are some contests he did not win at, not even honourable mention.
    I consider myself a terrible builder with small ideas and i managed to get honourable mention for halloween contest OUT OF MANY MANY AMAZING BUILDS.

For gods sake, if a builder is talented why not make him win? SO you just want all skillful builders to stay out of contests? That is so unfair, i am glad expert builders are finally getting cubits by showing off their skills! The selection process is already fair and i am 100% sure if you were one of the constant building contest winners, this thread wouldn’t be here. You’re just complaining cause you never won one, or you’re ‘jealous?’ Of the same people winning?
    I’ve seen Ed, he’s a great builder, there are some contests he did not win at, not even honourable mention.
    I consider myself a terrible builder with small ideas and i managed to get honourable mention for halloween contest OUT OF MANY MANY AMAZING BUILDS.
    Where do you get that I am jealous? Everything you just stated I agree with, I prefer more judges then less, since one time for a certain contest, a build won that wasn't even remotely related to the theme of the contest, things like that have happened, and no, I am NOT jealous, but there were times where there were 2 builds, one was more unique, and the other less so, but the latter wins? All I'm saying is that its time we up the judging game, for heavens sake, its very unprofessional to have only 1 judge

Where do you get that I am jealous? Everything you just stated I agree with, I prefer more judges then less, since one time for a certain contest, a build won that wasn't even remotely related to the theme of the contest, things like that have happened, and no, I am NOT jealous, but there were times where there were 2 builds, one was more unique, and the other less so, but the latter wins? All I'm saying is that its time we up the judging game, for heavens sake, its very unprofessional to have only 1 judge
    No one at any point disagreed with having multiple judges. Its just not going to be done the way you want. But if this is going to descend into arguments then I will close the thread
This discussion has been closed.