Perk Tree instead of RNG - Suggestion

So many games have the perk tree system. What does it mean? It means that you progressively unlock perks and need certain perks in order to get others.
Now CC has many perks and I think it would be more fitting to have a perk tree, this way it would be more fair for everyone, will reduce confusion and we would be able to see what perks we can get and what to go for first.

In addition I also had an idea of removing pointless perks such as the level 1 hat perk and the level 50 cubit level. None of them help over time, nor they are rewarding enough. There could be a lot more new perks for everyone's different passions such as building related perks, economy, parkour, etc. This way we get to choose how we want to have our qbee the way we chose how to level out on farming, many have used different methods to reach maximum level. And yes I know that we get all the farming perks at maximum level but not everyone uses large sprinklers or sprinklers at all, tractor or great soil. Everyone chose what they thought its better for them to use in order to level up quicker or get more recubes. My point is that we could have the level perks this way too, choose what we think its better over the rest of the perks.

Im curious what do you guys think of both of these ideas?

Comments

• space_fetusspace_fetus Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    i like the idea of perk trees tailored to specific play styles, but i would also like to see options to re do your perks if you decide you want to swap for something else. Additional if i was going from building to parkour maybe i would swap skill trees to benefit me.
  •   Ed  Ed Game Moderator

i like the idea of perk trees tailored to specific play styles, but i would also like to see options to re do your perks if you decide you want to swap for something else. Additional if i was going from building to parkour maybe i would swap skill trees to benefit me.

Ooh right! I forgot to mention a way to reset your perks my bad. Probably just buying it off the cubit store maybe?
    And yeah having them separate and being able to swap between them is great too.
  • The level 50 cubit perk would be great if they just multiplied it by about 100,000... As for the level 1 hat perk, i think thats kind of not right.. New players might take the hat not realizing they wasted a perk option..
    +1 for the tree system!
  • BJDwareBJDware Down underMember, Retired Moderator
    A Perk tree is definitely something i would like to see.
  • Yes that sounds nice +1
  • CanItBeDoneCanItBeDone The Universe; The Milky Way Galaxy; The Solar System; Earth; North AmericaMember
    I have a pretty long suggestion about levels coming up, but I didn't even think about this >:O!
  • +1 it would help so much!!
  • Also players dont really have a good idea of what perks they need to pick in order to lets say get speed demon 3 for the winter journey quest and so this could potentially help players. Also with some players wanting to get a specific decorative font whether it be fancy or horror this would also help player in the same way
  • When I played a game called Glitch (sorry to keep referencing it, but since they moved all of their info into Public domain / creative commons CC0 1.0 universal license, it's an easy one to reference without fear of copyright issues), we had a skills tree, where it took time to learn new skills (like mining, crafting, cooking, etc) and we had RNG Upgrades (which were essentially somewhat like the other perks in CC - faster movement, jumping, more xp, etc.).

I liked the complexity of having both, as it added depth to the game. You can see the examples of both skills and upgrades from that game here at their encyclopedia. The two weren't mutually exclusive. Also achievements played into the skills tree (sometimes you had to do x number of things before you could learn the next higher skill). I have a graphic mapping of the skills tree from that game, if anyone wants an example (sadly my original dropbox is closed, else I'd just link to it here).

I personally like skills trees if they are complex enough for all the skill levels. Most games that I've seen, their skills trees are sufficiently complex for about the first twenty to thirty levels but fall apart (or dead end) at higher levels. I does require some detailed mapping to build interesting skills trees with reasonable dependencies.
  • Giant_Giant_ Member
    edited November 2017
    What if instead of perks and perk trees it was professions and profession trees.

e.g. You pick 1 main profession:
    -Botanists can gather special flowers and berries.
    -Geologists can gather special kinds of ores.
    -Foresters can gather special kinds of trees.
    -etc.

and as you level up you can gather higher level items in your field of expertise.

And you can have 1 secondary profession:
    -Smiths make tools, wands, and tacks and such.
    -Carpenters make blocks and signs and stuff.
    -Chemists makes potions and stuff.
    -etc.

and as you level up your secondary profession you unlock the ability to craft different things.

By making it more personalized like this it would make people more passionate about being skillers (people who play to level up skills) - so they would want to keep playing to level up - while at the same time it would make players more dependent on others (thus adding interpersonal bonds which add even more longevity to the game.)

Congratulations, you can now craft fancy floor! (But you'll need to find a chemist to buy varnish from and a smith to get tacks from.)

Yay!

Anyways... it's something to think about if they ever decide to do a revamp... Cubic Castles 2.0 on a new game engine or something.

A rpg without a role to play is just a virtual shopping game? hmm? lol jk
  • I like the idea of professions / skills based tree, but I have to agree, I don't like the idea of being limited to one or two at a time, as my interests are quite varied. But agree that it would personalize the characters more and would lead to more interactions as there would need to be a bigger dependence on other players who had skills you didn't.
  • Giant_Giant_ Member
    edited November 2017
    lucaaa795 said:

That's such a bad idea imo...At least on the actual community / game..
    The game wasnt made and hopefully will not be changed to that..We should be able to have all perks at the end

This bad idea is how communities work in real life. By specializing we save time and energy and it brings us closer together by having us form valuable bonds with others through trade - it's basically the blood of civilization.

Have you never played a game that makes you choose a class or profession?

How about this then: if you max a skill set, then, and only then, you can choose another. Better?

Or do you just want a mmo without cooperative play? Everyone's a reclusive renaissance man where trading of crafts is basically nonexistent (like the game is now)?

Do you remember when you first started playing and you thought your newly crafted items were going to be a way for you to earn some cubits? And do you remember being let down when you realized they were basically garbage because everyone can easily make any craftable in this game?
  •   Ed  Ed Game Moderator
    edited November 2017
    I like Giant's concept but maybe instead of having it locked to 1 or 2 professions we could unlock them all and have all the perks. That way we could get more levels and a longer xp grind in order to unlock all the perks.
  • We already can't get lvl 2 carpenter without lvl 1, so then what changes and makes it more personalized if not byway of professions, and if eventually everyone gets all the same perks anyway?

It sounds like you want it to be exactly as it already is except you want a detailed map of it drawn out for you so that the next time you level up you can go back and choose any perk you passed on? Oh and if you chose a bad perk you can go back and undo that too?

I see what you're saying now: you want a list of all perks and when they're available because you picked top hat. lol You picked the top hat didn't you?
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Giant_ said:

What if instead of perks and perk trees it was professions and profession trees.

-etc.

We actually discussed this internally and liked the idea of it, but decided it was too different to retrofit onto the game when we added levels and xp. One thing with a game like this that is difficult is adding new gameplay without completely redoing the old stuff or putting things together that don't fit at all etc.. It was already a big deal just to attach crafting and mining to the early perks and having to decide what to do with old players etc...

• Giant_Giant_ Member
    edited November 2017
    Yeah I knew as soon as the idea came to me that it would be too much but maybe something to consider if you ever switch to a new engine and go Cubic Castles 2.0? à la revamp? (I've seen other games do big changes in revamps.) And I think I saw you or the other guy mention something about thinking about maybe a new engine one day so I put it out there just in case of that.

Edit: btw the way that the other game handled it was by the common level up point system where in everyone was given back all their points and they could choose which perks to invest their points in. A 60 point system (one for each level) kind of thing would allow players to keep their experience while letting them reinvest it in whatever perk they wanted to choose kind of thing.
  • When I saw "Perk Tree" it reminded me of civilization (Sid meiers Civilization)
    It's a good idea all except no Tech Tree. But Perk Tree.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    Revamping the level system is not impossible, but it's a big job and revamps are scary because if you misstep you can break a game badly. I want to revamp a few things next year... game navigation, and early player crafting/quest lines are the things I most want to fix right now though. The UI and account system could use some work too. After that we'll have to see. There really is no end to the work that could be done to improve this game.
  • Revamping the level system is not impossible, but it's a big job and revamps are scary because if you misstep you can break a game badly. I want to revamp a few things next year... game navigation, and early player crafting/quest lines are the things I most want to fix right now though. The UI and account system could use some work too. After that we'll have to see. There really is no end to the work that could be done to improve this game.

That is the way it is in most games. Bug fixes, Creating new items, events. The work is never done.
  • CanItBeDoneCanItBeDone The Universe; The Milky Way Galaxy; The Solar System; Earth; North AmericaMember
    Giant_ said:

-etc.

and as you level up you can gather higher level items in your field of expertise.

And you can have 1 secondary profession:
    -Smiths make tools, wands, and tacks and such.
    -Carpenters make blocks and signs and stuff.
    -Chemists makes potions and stuff.
    -etc.

and as you level up your secondary profession you unlock the ability to craft different things.

By making it more personalized like this it would make people more passionate about being skillers (people who play to level up skills) - so they would want to keep playing to level up - while at the same time it would make players more dependent on others (thus adding interpersonal bonds which add even more longevity to the game.)

Congratulations, you can now craft fancy floor! (But you'll need to find a chemist to buy varnish from and a smith to get tacks from.)

Yay!

Anyways... it's something to think about if they ever decide to do a revamp... Cubic Castles 2.0 on a new game engine or something.

A rpg without a role to play is just a virtual shopping game? hmm? lol jk

Hmm, I can see this working actually :o
  • i like it alot 1+