Likes/Karma and more

CanItBeDoneCanItBeDone The Universe; The Milky Way Galaxy; The Solar System; Earth; North AmericaMember
edited November 2017 in Suggestions & Comments
Hello! This suggestion thread wouldn't really be anything about the game, but rather a suggestion thread for some changes to this forum. When this forum came out last year, I admit it was better than the previous one. It runs smoother, and moving around the forum is easier. While this forum is pretty handy and nicely designed, I think it has some flaws.

The obvious one is the search. When you type up a phrase/word, it gives you results of the most recent threads containing a single word from what you want to search. The issue? If you are trying to look for a specific quote/ thread, it becomes pretty difficult. Not to mention there is no advance search, so you're pretty much on your own. So I think an advanced search would be pretty nice to have.

Edit
As commented in the comments, if a person was to use @ in the search bar, it should give the searcher a list of players who's name contains the word/name.
~
The next is something short of a pet peeve of mine. Everyone has their own opinion on something. Whether it be about hats or builds, everyone has an opinion. I personally don't like seeing a stream of comments that say, "Oh I agree with this." whenever a person sees a comment they agree with. I find that it just only serves the clog up the thread, like some of the activity statuses on this forum (e.e). Because of this, I don't want to do the same myself. I think adding a like button/ karma donating button would be pretty nice to have. This feature will display a persons thought on this comment. Now before someone goes ahead and say the karma donating will be abused, I couldn't care less. What's to abuse? What's to gain from having the most karma? If it's too much of an issue, just have the like button instead.

Edit
When a player uses the like button they'll be giving 0.05 karma.
~

And while we are on this topic, does anyone know how to delete drafts? I can't seem to get rid of them on my mobile device that's using the full site. Neither do I have access to deleting statuses. A look into this perhaps?

Comments

• In relation to the drafts press and hold the draft you want to delete and then an x should appear on the right hand side press this to delete it :-) hope this helped
  • scorto7scorto7 BelgiumRetired Moderator
    all good stuff.
    Another way to spend karma is that when you click the like button or so you would spend 0.05 karma(the same amount you gain from making a comment).
  • CanItBeDoneCanItBeDone The Universe; The Milky Way Galaxy; The Solar System; Earth; North AmericaMember

In relation to the drafts press and hold the draft you want to delete and then an x should appear on the right hand side press this to delete it :-) hope this helped

Never knew that owo, thanks!
    scorto7 said:

all good stuff.
    Another way to spend karma is that when you click the like button or so you would spend 0.05 karma(the same amount you gain from making a comment).

Hmm sounds like a good compromise. Encourages activity and hopefully clears up threads full of really pointless comments.
  • scorto7 said:

all good stuff.

I do agree

And for the search one I love that idea! And I would like to see that if we type "@name" it shows forumer's profile containing this name. Like if I type @Kewb, It will show all forumers which their name contains or begins by "Kewb".

Anyway good ideas :)
  • CanItBeDoneCanItBeDone The Universe; The Milky Way Galaxy; The Solar System; Earth; North AmericaMember

scorto7 said:

all good stuff.

I do agree

And for the search one I love that idea! And I would like to see that if we type "@name" it shows forumer's profile containing this name. Like if I type @Kewb, It will show all forumers which their name contains or begins by "Kewb".

Anyway good ideas :)
    Oh yes! It make finding a certain person much easier. Added to OP.
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    scorto7 said:

all good stuff.

I would never like anything then o.o
  • SpaceChickenSpaceChicken Member
    edited November 2017
    Maybe the like could be like:
    Do you find this comment/post useful?
    O Yes(sends 0,02 karma to the poster) O No(does nothing but it shows up on the discussion or smth so ppl can see its an useless thread)
    Do you agree with this suggestion?
    O Yes(same thing as above but if its a suggestion thread then it shows up as an upvote also sends 0,02 karma to the poster) O No(counts as like a downvote or smth)
    And also ppl could maybe vote to close a discussion so mods can see it... im not sure about ALL of em .
    *>Remo<* said:

Maybe the like could be like:
    Do you find this comment/post useful?
    O Yes(sends 0,02 karma to the poster) O No(does nothing but it shows up on the discussion or smth so ppl can see its an useless thread)
    Do you agree with this suggestion?
    O Yes(same thing as above but if its a suggestion thread then it shows up as an upvote also sends 0,02 karma to the poster) O No(counts as like a downvote or smth)
    And also ppl could maybe vote to close a discussion so mods can see it... im not sure about ALL of em .

Personally I don't see a point in allowing players to close a thread, if they aren't the owner of it. If a thread needs closing, the owner can request it themselves, or a forum mod can step in.

As for having players liking the suggestion, I guess it works, but we have polls already.

Not too sure about a pop up that asks if this comment is useful. Would be a bit tedious to go through, and dunno. I just sometimes find a certain comment really funny or agreeable.
  • b3achyb3achy Member
    edited November 2017
    +1 for a like button. Most every other forum I am on has at least a like button for a post. Can't tell you how many times I've tried to like a post (as I didn't really have much to say or add), and then I have to stop and not click on the 'quote' option. It's actually pretty standard to have it, and odd this one doesn't have something. And I personally don't think you should have to give up karma to use a like button...it should be standard. If anything you should get karma because someone likes your comment.

Many forums have more than just a like option. A fitness forum I belong to has the options for "like", "awesome", "inspiring", "insightful" (they only allow for positive reactions, which is good given the level of snarkiness in those forums). Another gaming forum I belonged to allowed both a positive and a negative reaction (though this could get out of hand in a negative environment). Even FB now allows for multiple reactions.

BTW, if you put a phrase in quotes in the search, it will search for the phrase, instead of the words individually. But it only searches for what is in the quote. For example, bomb game without quotes, returns everything with just game in it. Not sure why it doesn't also give bomb as often not putting a phrase in quotes defaults to an exclusive OR boolean search of the two words (one or the other word, but not both in the search), though some search engines consider it as an implied AND boolean search (both words in the search, but not necessarily a phrase). Putting the phrase in quotes such as "bomb game" will only give you responses with the exact phrase bomb game, but not alternative phrases such as bomb games in it. But at least it's something.

I would love to be able to do searches on forum names, or at least have an option to find posts by a forum user.
    b3achy said:

+1 for a like button. Most every other forum I am on has at least a like button for a post. Can't tell you how many times I've tried to like a post (as I didn't really have much to say or add), and then I have to stop and not click on the 'quote' option. It's actually pretty standard to have it, and odd this one doesn't have something. And I personally don't think you should have to give up karma to use a like button...it should be standard. If anything you should get karma because someone likes your comment.

Many forums have more than just a like option. A fitness forum I belong to has the options for "like", "awesome", "inspiring", "insightful" (they only allow for positive reactions, which is good given the level of snarkiness in those forums). Another gaming forum I belonged to allowed both a positive and a negative reaction (though this could get out of hand in a negative environment). Even FB now allows for multiple reactions.

BTW, if you put a phrase in quotes in the search, it will search for the phrase, instead of the words individually. But it only searches for what is in the quote. For example, bomb game without quotes, returns everything with just game in it. Not sure why it doesn't also give bomb as often not putting a phrase in quotes defaults to an exclusive OR boolean search of the two words (one or the other word, but not both in the search), though some search engines consider it as an implied AND boolean search (both words in the search, but not necessarily a phrase). Putting the phrase in quotes such as "bomb game" will only give you responses with the exact phrase bomb game, but not alternative phrases such as bomb games in it. But at least it's something.

I would love to be able to do searches on forum names, or at least have an option to find posts by a forum user.

Hmm never knew that quote feature. But anyways, I think multiple reactions would be pretty nice to have, but I'll settle with only likes.