Cubic Castles doesn't work because apparently it's a virus?

I recently downloaded Cubic Castles from the official website (www.cubiccastles.com), but after installing it, I was unable to open it because it was labeled a virus by my laptop. Can anyone help?

@SirKewberth @CosmicCow

Comments

• Had the same problem!!!!!
    You have to ignore it or you have to force the microsoft antivirus to not scan the cc folder
  • ( antivirus off ) steam-update > web cubic casltes setup new
  • ??? uh ??? what ???
  • MiwkyMiwky at your house stealing your Peanut butter jarMember
    I excluded it from my windows defender.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    This shouldn't be happening. It may be there's a version that's missing something in the build. I've advised Cosmic to look at it since he prepares the builds. I think it's a "false positive" though... meaning that it's reporting a virus but there isn't really one there.
  • elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember
    kingfahri said:

( antivirus off ) steam-update > web cubic casltes setup new

What does this even mean.... its like random brabbling....
  • SuperxtremeSuperxtreme The NetherlandsGame Moderator
    Anti Virus: Norton Security
    Name of the threat: WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec's community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec's reputation-based security technology.

Maybe this is useful.
    @SirKewberth @CosmicCow
  • elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember

Anti Virus: Norton Security
    Name of the threat: WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec's community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec's reputation-based security technology.

Maybe this is useful.
    @SirKewberth @CosmicCow

I love that i actually can read that picture xD
  • This has to do with our exe protection software. It seems like some scanners are reporting it as a false positive. We protect our exe from hacking in various ways, and one of those is encrypting and disabling memory scanners.
    edited October 2017
    Now it auto remove my Steam version of Cubic Castles.exe when I start it...
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Cubic Castles

Virus Scanner: Norton
    Reason: Heur.AdvML.B

•  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    Yeah just a new and not very used .exe.
    Its your antivirus working correctly.

Please consider changing from norton though. Such a terrible av software.
  • at least I know that my virus protection picks things up x'd (I got the same thing happen)
  • I'll say it once again, If your AV is detecting cubic castles exe as virus, its just the dumbest FREE av you get to have, If anyone would consider buying a AV or atleast getting a crack for one the best choice for any is Kacpersky, cause it does has alot of effort in it and if it would detect that it would ask to send file to analysis and accualy UPDATE the global virus database to add it as a good file in thier av system, cause kacpersky does care about thier customers ofc not the thief's that crack it.

But if you feel poor and you cant buy a 10 $ anti virus you can get malwarebytes the best free choice there is, missing some features but god thanks it has real effort into it not just to ye a user reported its a virus lets make it a virus then we dont check it anyway cause we cant create a proper av! take the money and get 0 protection.

(Kacpersky has the best malware protection too out of all AV's)
  • I have seen good ones false-positive it too. A while back we started hack-protecting and encrypting our exe files to prevent some annoyances. It worked, but AV scanners can get upset at the encryption code and false-label it.
  • SidddSiddd UKMember, Game Moderator
    edited October 2017
    AVG is now picking this up as a false-positive (what I use) deleted the game on my behalf (thanks AVG <.<) I guarantee whilst this is a thing you will get no new players or customers...
  • Anti Virus: Norton Security

Maybe this is useful.
    @SirKewberth @CosmicCow

i dont trust nortin XD my grandmother(another one) is always having viruses on her pc because of norton or someting
  •   Ed  Ed Game Moderator
    Well Avast started acting up too... ended up disabling it to make CC work
    Siddd said:

"I guarantee whilst this is a thing you will get no new players or customers..."

Yeah I agree what Siddd says. It's annoying when you start your pc and Cubic Castles is gone :P
    But I added cc steam and standalone .exe in my trustlist. I hope this should work.

• I have avg as well But I suggest downloading the game from its original Search Engine. I tried downloading it from Chrome But that wouldn't work, I would go to files to download it cubiccasltes.exe And it would take me a while to download it, after that I get. virus detection From cc.. Ye I recommend downloading the game from the computers original Search Engine,

At the same time kirodashi, I have a feeling you tried to start exploiting the game O_o
  • epieownzepieownz Member
    edited October 2017
    same thing happened to me.
    I have made an exception for the file path location but this is not ideal.
    and I would really appreciate it, if it could be fixed
  • We need help.... please...
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    MrFani said:

We need help.... please...

Your antivirus is pumping out a false negative.
    Just disable your antivirus while you install it.
  • MrFaniMrFani Member
    edited October 2017
    is this safe... hopefully
    but after downloading, is it ok to turn the antivirus back on?

btw i use windows defender
  • ragean said:

At the same time kirodashi, I have a feeling you tried to start exploiting the game O_o

I’d like to make it clear that I haven’t exploited the game nor have I changed any textures, etc. Many other players have also had this problem, and it’s confirmed that it’s a false positive; so please don’t accuse me of exploiting the game.
  • edited October 2017
    keeps moving to quarantine even if i restore it moves it back RIP
    Sent files to AVG for analysis
  • If you want to be able to play. one way to do it is:
    start up avg > menu > setting > exceptions > select the map where you normally save your game (in my case program files x86) and select it.

That should fix it until avg or cubic castles resolves the problem.
    I can post pictures if u find the description not clear enough, but they will be in Dutch, because I am dutch.
  • epieownz said:

If you want to be able to play. one way to do it is:
    start up avg > menu > setting > exceptions > select the map where you normally save your game (in my case program files x86) and select it.

That should fix it until avg or cubic castles resolves the problem.
    I can post pictures if u find the description not clear enough, but they will be in Dutch, because I am dutch.

I disabled my whole firewall and it still stopped cc from openning so i just uninstalled avg for a bit
  • Hmmm.. so the only solution is 2 wait for the next up date
  • maybe try deleting cubic castles, then installing it! IT SHOULD WORK!
  • CosmicCowCosmicCow Member
    edited October 2017
    We're going to post a new build tomorrow with different protection, I am hoping it isn't quite so offensive to the scanners. But by all means, no matter what scanner you have, please report it as a false positive! Thanks!