CALLING ALL ARTISTS: INKTOBER FAQ AND DISCUSSION (pre-Inktober thread)

smuressmures Member
edited October 2017 in Art

So I hear you were interested in Inktober but had a few questions. I'll be answering some FAQs here! Feel free to discuss anyone's drawings here as well!

INKTOBER HAS BEEN POSTED. CLICK HERE TO SEE IT.

Inktober Outline

What is Inktober?

Inktober is an event in the month of October among artists all around the world where artists make one ink drawing per day. Created by Jake Parker, Inktober is a way for artists to draw every day and to improve their skills, especially their inking skills.
Here's a video of Jake Parker explaining Inktober!

How do you participate?

Using the prompt lists, create an inked drawing based off of your interpretation of the word. Each number corresponds with the day in October (e.g. Oct 1st is prompt #1 so your first prompt would be swift). Then just upload it as a comment.
Please only make one comment of your drawings and edit it daily by using spoilers to label each day and prompt list used (if you need help making it, check

here

. That way people can easily scroll through and see drawings without the mess!

I really want to see the thread become a gallery of art so please do try to follow those guidelines. I will pm you if the format is weird lol. I will post an example of how your comment should look like.

Will there be prizes?

This year I prepared prizes thank goodness. Each week excluding the last week, I will give 1k cubits to whoever participated on that day. That means the more days you participate the bigger your chances are for getting free cubits! At 6:30 AM (CUBIC TIME) on the day after the chosen date, I will let you know who will recieve the prize and hand out the cubits to those people on Sunday each week. The final prize (final week) will remain unknown on what it is and how the one lucky person will receive it until November 1st.

FAQ

Was Inktober your own event?

Please, I wish I was amazing enough to make it my own event. Sadly, it is not my event, but Jake Parker's! He created this challenge back in 2009 to improve his inking skills and it grew quickly among artists, becoming a worldwide event. I just made Inktober an event on CC to get our lovely artists to join in too!

Do I have to do Inktober daily?

Of course you don't! If you want to do it less frequently try doing something like twice per week or maybe you wanna just draw every week. Maybe you wanna go hardcore and draw 3 pieces per day! It's all up to you, and you are free to upload it as you like. Try to keep it consistent so you can form good drawing habits.

Can I do digital art? What about using just pencil?

Inktober is exactly what it sounds like. It's original creation was to practice inking specifically but many people use Inktober to practice inking and traditional art instead of going digital. You are free to use the prompts for digital art though!
Same goes for pencil. Use pencil for the rough drafts and sketches, use ink for the final product!

Do I have to use the prompt list?

Of course not! You can always look at other promp lists. This is for you to improve your skills, so you are free to draw whatever you like, or even come up with your own prompt list! Feel free to share any prompt lists you create on your own.

I want to use high quality inking pens. Where can I get them?

I'm just using a regular ballpoint pen here, don't attack me (;w;). But if you scroll through his website, Jake Parker lists pens that he has used for previous Inktobers!

I want to post my art on other platforms too.

Don't let me stop you!!!

Where will we place our art?

Like I've said before, just post it in the comments in the original Inktober post! If you are part of CC Artists discord server, then you may post in your gallery instead of in the comments if you want. You can also use both.

Can we still join even if we skip day 1?

Yes!!!! You can start whenever you want, stop whenever you want, and do it anytime you want!

Does it have to be just black or can we use other colors?

It does not have to be just black. You can use other mediums to color in your artwork or maybe you wanna ink your work in colorful glitter pens? All up to you :3

Anything I didn't answer? Ask away in the comments below or pm me! Feel free to discuss with other artists too! Make sure all comments are appropriate and are not hurtful.

Comments

• smuressmures Member
    edited September 2017
    Sample Comment in the actual Inktober Gallery Thread (Feel free to decorate it with banners and things if you want to)

I do realize this is multiposting, but just so you know, I made this comment to show how example comments should be like. This is mentioned above in the post. I hope this can be an exception to the multipost.

Cookie's Inktober Gallery

Welcome to my Inktober Gallery! This mini gallery will serve both as my art post for Inktober and as an example for all of you to post your work. Check out my work below! ^^

Coming soon lol

just an example for ones with no prompt used

an example for ones using unofficial/self-made prompt lists

This same comment will be uploaded in the official thread.
    Here is the code(?) for the comment section if you wanna just copy paste it:
    < div class="AlignCenter"> < h1> Insert Gallery Name Here < /h1> < /div>
    < div class="AlignCenter"> < h2> Insert Gallery Bio Here < /h2>< /div>

[ spoiler=Week 1, Days 1 through 7] [ spoiler=Day 1, Prompt List] [ /spoiler]
    [ spoiler=Day 2, Prompt List] [ /spoiler]
    [ spoiler=Day 3, Prompt List] [ /spoiler] [ /spoiler]
    [ spoiler=Week 2, Days 8 through 14] [ /spoiler]
    [ spoiler=Week 3, Days 15 through 21] [ /spoiler]
    [ spoiler=Week 4, Days 22 through 28] [ /spoiler]
    [ spoiler=Week 5, Days 29 through 31] [ /spoiler] [ /spoiler]
  • COOKIE :(!
  • Swissy DreamerSwissy Dreamer Playing with Asriel,Frisk,And CharaMember
    If you're wondering what's the official prompt (Jake's prompt) look like =

This will be my first year of Inktober so iam pretty excited!
  • uhm
    i maybe try ;-; to improve my art skill
  • RightMakerRightMaker PhilippinesMember
    I'll join! (Finds ink)
  • Joining this year too ~(>.<)/

Just a question, Are you going to create your own prompt list for us to follow ? or we should do our own?
  • I might join, but I hate being competitive. I have been drawing for years, but I stopped having confidence. If I join, I'll be rusty...
  • @kurt... the prompt list we're using is the one that @Swissy Dreamer posted above
    (although I wanted to wait to post the prompt list on Oct 1st lol)

@Salty Waffle this isn't a competitive event! This is is just an event to encourage drawing :3
  • smures said:

@kurt... the prompt list we're using is the one that @Swissy Dreamer posted above
    (although I wanted to wait to post the prompt list on Oct 1st lol)

@Salty Waffle this isn't a competitive event! This is is just an event to encourage drawing :3

Ohh okay thankss :D although it's on the video too lol
  • Inktober... The only thing i could think when i saw this was tattoos!!! If only qbees were bigger we could ask for tattoos in game, lols. That would rock.
  • @kurt... oh rip i totally forgot about that xD
    buT IT'S ALL GOOD :D

@%2AMaryMoon%2A now im wondering if tattoo artists do inktober too lolol
  • I honestly cannot wait to do this. Jake Parker is a genius!
  • Pennywise said:

I honestly cannot wait to do this. Jake Parker is a genius!

you are absolutely right
  • scorto7scorto7 BelgiumRetired Moderator
    If i have a chance... i'll try one of those days. ;)
  • I have never tried Inktober ,and I'm gonna go for it this year!~
  • Fluffy 303Fluffy 303 Somewhere Over The RainbowMember
    I'm doing it lolol
    I got a notebook ready for it >:C
  • I'm doing it lolol
    I got a notebook ready for it >:C

Dude I want to do a notebook just for inktober but i dont have one xD
  • I'm so excited to see people's ink work.
  • I’ll try probably won’t be good just things I draw in class with the prompts :d
  • 'Sir.Fox' said:

I’ll try probably won’t be good just things I draw in class with the prompts :d

no worries :D
    it's whatever you wanna draw, so it doesn't have to be perfect
  • Is calligraphy considered as a drawing? (not a simple text just like this but ... you know what i mean :p)
  • Is calligraphy considered as a drawing? (not a simple text just like this but ... you know what i mean :p)

Is it considered art to you is the real question here >:o
    It is your artwork after all ^^

Also just gonna bump this thread with updates too ovob
  • By the way, if you guys feel uninspired by the official prompts, one of the artists that I follow made a nature-based prompt list if you would rather use that!