Scams

I know many players are young children, and I think you need a better understanding of the word Scam, which people are always shouting about in Hollas.

A scam is when someone says that they will give you, say, a car, for 3,000 cubits, and then they take your money and don't give you anything, or say that now you need to give more money to get the car.

If some one says they are selling a car for 1,000,000 cubits, that IS NOT A SCAM. It's just someone setting a ridiculously high price. You are not required to buy the car, so there is no scam involved. If i sell an Hat for 1000 cubits, and Joe sells the same hat for 100 cubits, I am not scamming you. I just have a higher price. Be smart and buy the Hat from Joe and don't whine about being scammed. You weren't required to buy anything so there was no scam.

If you don't want to get scammed, DON'T GIVE ANYTHING TO ANYONE EVER. Use the trade option and make sure you understand what you're getting before approving the trade. Same goes for vending machines. The machine tells you the number of items and the price. Make sure you understand what you're getting before paying. No one can force you to trade or buy items. If someone refuses to sell an item to you there is nothing you can do about it.

Finally, whining is useless and solves nothing. If you feel you were actually scammed, report the person who scammed you through the report icon. Because, personally, I am SO tired of all the whining that takes place on Hollas.

Thank you.

Shaanti

Comments

• Wow. That speech was amazing, but I object. Why are you thanking us? We should be thanking you for being able to actually fully characterize what a ripoff is compared to a fraud.

Thank you.
  • Its a fine line of definitions.
    SO in that sense you are correct, however.. Here's the issue with that
    Any dishonest conduct in order to take money by gaining someones confidence falls under the definition of scam...
    So its very difficult to differentiate when a person was "scammed" by a dishonest seller claiming his high price is in fact market value, and the buyer believing him,
    Orrrr someone simply selling their item at whatever price they want, which isn't a scam.
    And its an unfortunate circumstance that in this game there are many dishonest ppl who actively take advantage of young players by lying to them.
    There are many threads on the forum with price lists, so we know that items here do have an actual value. And until the dishonest, greedy players stop taking advantage of those who have no idea of an items worth, it will fall under the category of scam.
    And yes.... Its could be argued that its the players own fault for not checking the prices, but thats how it is in the real world too where scams also occur. And in the real world the blame falls upon the dishonest person, not the one who naively believed the person mis-representing the value of whatever it is they were selling.
    I agree there are ppl out there who are not dishonest and price items high because they know folks who "need" the item now are willing to pay a higher value then the worth of the item. But lets face it... Thats a tiny category of ppl compared to those who misrepresent on purpose and knowingly take advantage of other players.
    Its akin to ripping off the grandma with bad eyes who cant read the fine print on the paper she signs cause she trusted the seller.....
  • elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember
    Finally someone who made a thread to make this clear xD i couldnt think of a good speech that would show the difference between a rippoff and a scam xD

Thank you ^^
  • QbirdQbird Member
    edited August 2017
    Scams are bad

Fin
  • Finally someone who made a thread to make this clear xD i couldnt think of a good speech that would show the difference between a rippoff and a scam xD

Thank you ^^

I've been waiting for someone to actually address this.
  • Retrozz said:

Finally someone who made a thread to make this clear xD i couldnt think of a good speech that would show the difference between a rippoff and a scam xD

Thank you ^^

Then why didn't you make a thread about this rather than waiting for someone else to
  • Retrozz said:

Thank you ^^

Then why didn't you make a thread about this rather than waiting for someone else to
    Because, shaanti had a better explanation about this than me having to say it in my own words for the Public.

• Its a fine line of definitions.
    SO in that sense you are correct, however.. Here's the issue with that
    Any dishonest conduct in order to take money by gaining someones confidence falls under the definition of scam...
    So its very difficult to differentiate when a person was "scammed" by a dishonest seller claiming his high price is in fact market value, and the buyer believing him,
    Orrrr someone simply selling their item at whatever price they want, which isn't a scam.
    And its an unfortunate circumstance that in this game there are many dishonest ppl who actively take advantage of young players by lying to them.
    There are many threads on the forum with price lists, so we know that items here do have an actual value. And until the dishonest, greedy players stop taking advantage of those who have no idea of an items worth, it will fall under the category of scam.
    And yes.... Its could be argued that its the players own fault for not checking the prices, but thats how it is in the real world too where scams also occur. And in the real world the blame falls upon the dishonest person, not the one who naively believed the person mis-representing the value of whatever it is they were selling.
    I agree there are ppl out there who are not dishonest and price items high because they know folks who "need" the item now are willing to pay a higher value then the worth of the item. But lets face it... Thats a tiny category of ppl compared to those who misrepresent on purpose and knowingly take advantage of other players.
    Its akin to ripping off the grandma with bad eyes who cant read the fine print on the paper she signs cause she trusted the seller.....

• I think the problem here is trusting people you don't really know. Unless you know the player personally outside the game, you shouldn't trust people. Charging ridiculously high prices and claiming they are market value is not a scam. It's just you not doing your research to find out for yourself how much things should cost. A lot of people will pay high prices simply because they want an item. Demand always raises prices. If someone is stupid enough to pay the high price, that's not a scam. It's just stupidity on the part of the buyer. People need to be less lazy and r ad the forums. There is plenty of pricing information available here.
  • Hoxis said:

Wow. That speech was amazing, but I object. Why are you thanking us? We should be thanking you for being able to actually fully characterize what a ripoff is compared to a fraud.

Thank you.

• Well, I was very hopefully thank the whiners for stopping their whining. Maybe it's too much to hope for.
  • It's nice to see that someone care about the rules .
    But don't forget the forum rules ;)
    http://forums2.cubiccastles.com/index.php?p=/discussion/8/forum-rules#latest

Honestly , the thread is too long for me to keep in mind the begining when I read the end, but I got the idea 0-9
  • yeh
  • -Gundam- said:

It's nice to see that someone care about the rules .

Honestly , the thread is too long for me to keep in mind the begining when I read the end, but I got the idea 0-9

Really? You have a very short attention span. I'm sorry I couldn't make it any shorter.
  • I did a giveaway once and one of the late comers said it was a scam, then tried to act cool by leaving but the portal had a sentry XD
  • Hoxis said:

Wow. That speech was amazing, but I object. Why are you thanking us? We should be thanking you for being able to actually fully characterize what a ripoff is compared to a fraud.

Thank you.

Thanking those who will stop ranting.

• Shaanti said:

-Gundam- said:

Really? You have a very short attention span. I'm sorry I couldn't make it any shorter.
    How am I supposed to take this?

• -Gundam- said:

Shaanti said:

-Gundam- said:

How am I supposed to take this?

Take it that I am worried about you if you can't remember the beginning of the message when you finish reading the whole thing. My niece has a legit memory problem where this happens. She failed out of high school because when she read a page of anything, she could not remember what she read even though her reading level tested as above college level. Perhaps in your case you were just not paying attention, but if you truly have a problem remembering such a short message, please have yourself checked out.
  • It's because I dont really pay attention, most of the time I have two things , on to watch and one to do in front of my eyes . And I already got though high school, but it's nice to care about total strangers 9-9
  • DemonismDemonism SingaporeMember
    What has the forum become... 4 multiposts in a row with none of them being merged.
  • b3achyb3achy Member
    edited September 2017
    Shaanti said:

I think the problem here is trusting people you don't really know. Unless you know the player personally outside the game, you shouldn't trust people. Charging ridiculously high prices and claiming they are market value is not a scam. It's just you not doing your research to find out for yourself how much things should cost. A lot of people will pay high prices simply because they want an item. Demand always raises prices. If someone is stupid enough to pay the high price, that's not a scam. It's just stupidity on the part of the buyer. People need to be less lazy and r ad the forums. There is plenty of pricing information available here.

Thank you for the OP and this additional point. I also was debating how to address this, and you did it beautifully! Thanks for being clear and concise.

And thanks for pointing out that just because someone paid Neiman Marcus prices for the same thing they could have gotten at Walmart or Costco at a fraction of the price, doesn't mean they were scammed - it's called markup and is done in the retail industry all the time (doesn't mean I like it being done there either). The buyer chose to pay a high price for that item for convenience (ie, it was there in front of them and they wanted it), not because it was worth that much.

I hate to admit that I have started to laugh every time someone hollas that they got scammed because it typically means here that they were too lazy or too stupid to check the prices, rather than an actual scam. I was nervous about originally playing the game due to all the scam warnings and scam training and scam hollas...but I've been playing happily for a couple months and haven't gotten scammed yet. Not to say I won't ever be, but for the most part, being cautious and skeptical has served me well. If anything, I've found the few players that I associate with to be kind, giving, and pretty self-less. I think people are just trusting the wrong players if they are believing everything they say especially when it comes to pricing.

Tip: If someone hollas they have the best or cheapest prices, they typically aren't...shop around and do your own research to verify before buying.

What's the old adage? Buyer Beware...yes, it applies even in virtual economies!
  • b3achy said:

Shaanti said:

I think the problem here is trusting people you don't really know. Unless you know the player personally outside the game, you shouldn't trust people. Charging ridiculously high prices and claiming they are market value is not a scam. It's just you not doing your research to find out for yourself how much things should cost. A lot of people will pay high prices simply because they want an item. Demand always raises prices. If someone is stupid enough to pay the high price, that's not a scam. It's just stupidity on the part of the buyer. People need to be less lazy and r ad the forums. There is plenty of pricing information available here.

Thank you for the OP and this additional point. I also was debating how to address this, and you did it beautifully! Thanks for being clear and concise.

And thanks for pointing out that just because someone paid Neiman Marcus prices for the same thing they could have gotten at Walmart or Costco at a fraction of the price, doesn't mean they were scammed - it's called markup and is done in the retail industry all the time (doesn't mean I like it being done there either). The buyer chose to pay a high price for that item for convenience (ie, it was there in front of them and they wanted it), not because it was worth that much.

I hate to admit that I have started to laugh every time someone hollas that they got scammed because it typically means here that they were too lazy or too stupid to check the prices, rather than an actual scam. I was nervous about originally playing the game due to all the scam warnings and scam training and scam hollas...but I've been playing happily for a couple months and haven't gotten scammed yet. Not to say I won't ever be, but for the most part, being cautious and skeptical has served me well. If anything, I've found the few players that I associate with to be kind, giving, and pretty self-less. I think people are just trusting the wrong players if they are believing everything they say especially when it comes to pricing.

Tip: If someone hollas they have the best or cheapest prices, they typically aren't...shop around and do your own research to verify before buying.

What's the old adage? Buyer Beware...yes, it applies even in virtual economies!
    Exactly. I laugh at the scam Hollas too Tu when they turn into a petty argument they start to frustrate me.

• dont trust anyone
    -the end
    How to avoid scams 101:

Don't be Stupid

Well done! You just avoided all scams :D
  • GalaGala Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    CosmicCow said :
    Some day (but not anytime soon!) I want to do a ticker that shows all single-item transactions done through vends and registers. Then make that data available for a true pricing index.

That will be over.
    galantis said:

CosmicCow said :
    Some day (but not anytime soon!) I want to do a ticker that shows all single-item transactions done through vends and registers. Then make that data available for a true pricing index.

That will be over.

Then can't people just sell items to each other to make the price rise?
  • galantis said:

CosmicCow said :

That will be over.

Then can't people just sell items to each other to make the price rise?
    And I said :
    People would have to make a lot of trades between two alts to make it raise , since cc has hundreds of players . And also, players can decide to sell lower or higher themselves.