Price Vs Scamming

PandoritePandorite Member
edited July 2017 in Suggestions & Comments
So currently there is a scam out there where people place a near invisible item in a vend with a much higher value item.

The current stance on shops as I understand it is. "everyone is free to set their own prices."

So what are people not allowed to place other items in the same vend? Somehow I doubt this very much.

In my personal opinion either
1. Lying about prices is a scam.
2. Footprint scamming isn't a scam.
3. You're only allowed to place one item in each vend

Otherwise you're simply "setting your own price" for footprint. This was actually said to me by someone. I won't mention the name without consent however it does raise a interesting issue.

At what point does setting your own price become a scam?

Comments

• PandoritePandorite Member
    edited July 2017
    lucaaa795 said:

If you advertise that you sell something cheap and thats actually placed in same vend with footprints,Thats considered scam
    If you have a separate vending for footprints that dont have some other rate in it,thats legit.

However you are actually selling the given item at that price. My friend bought several items he didn't want. A bunny top hat and a balloon to buy the advertised love balloon for 15k
    Was this a scam?

The owner didn't lie. They are selling at the given price.
  • This has been going on for a while, but yes i consider it to be a scam. Although, this can be avoided by simply just reading.
  • Spiridon said:

This has been going on for a while, but yes i consider it to be a scam. Although, this can be avoided by simply just reading.

You missed the point clearly stopped reading after the first line. If you read the rest of the post you'll see the actual question.
  • AshiMagariAshiMagari The internet :PMember
    edited July 2017
    I think its better to look at it as a "is it right or wrong" stance. Because lying about prices will never really be "scamming" but it is certainly not the right thing to do. Nor is placing invisible items below expensive items the right thing to do. But honestly these kinds of things are SOOO easy to avoid. Don't know the price of something? Look it up before buying or selling. READ. Don't know if you're paying the amount you want for the item you want? Look at the pop-up. READ.

I have said it before and I will continue to say it until the people who fall for these wrongful acts STOP falling for them:

"THERE IS THIS MAGICAL THING CALLED 'READING'!"

Ignorance is NOT bliss, people.
  • I think its better to look at it as a "is it right or wrong" stance. Because lying about prices will never really be "scamming" but it is certainly not the right thing to do. Nor is placing invisible items below expensive items the right thing to do. But honestly these kinds of things are SOOO easy to avoid. Don't know the price of something? Look it up before buying or selling. READ. Don't know if you're paying the amount you want for the item you want? Look at the pop-up. READ.

I have said it before and I will continue to say it until the people who fall for these wrongful acts STOP falling for them:

"THERE IS THIS MAGICAL THING CALLED 'READING'!"

Ignorance is NOT bliss, people.

#ashiforpresident2020
  • DjedoDjedo Member
    Pandorite said:

So currently there is a scam out there where people place a near invisible item in a vend with a much higher value item.

The current stance on shops as I understand it is. "everyone is free to set their own prices."

So what are people not allowed to place other items in the same vend? Somehow I doubt this very much.

Otherwise you're simply "setting your own price" for footprint. This was actually said to me by someone. I won't mention the name without consent however it does raise a interesting issue.

Always read pop up and you're safe.
    And remember one of my own rules from when cash reg trade didn't have confirmation pop up, "watch out for offers that are too good to be refused"!
    Every player is allowed to set up their own price for items, so if someone wants to buy footprint for 100000c its their own right.

$$$) Every player can also come to forums to ask about common item value.

Laying about prices is not nice but I think its not against the rules (maybe I'm wrong).
    Remember, if you are not sure if the price is ok you can always $$$)
    Not all players are able to afford dozens of vends, I'm not saying this is the case why ppl put more items in vend, but if you look at it, when ppl try to take your money in a way you described, they basically punish other peoples greed. Most of ppl will try to buy lets say balloon for 1000c than warn owner that he may get more c from rising its price. Right?

And in case you missed it there is some good reading here: http://forums2.cubiccastles.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1149/awareness-vs-scams/p1

read it pass it...

• Lying about prices is immoral, but NOT scamming. All players have the right to make their own prices, so they can tell players their own prices lol
    Misticall said:

Lying about prices is immoral, but NOT scamming. All players have the right to make their own prices, so they can tell players their own prices lol

I assumed that "lying about prices" consisted of things like "xxx item is worth 150k" (when xxx item is 50-75k, for example), rather than "i am selling xxx item for 150k".
    The latter is just high pricing, no form of lying in it at all. The former is saying that the value is different from what it actually is (a.k.a. lying about value).

It's okay to make your own prices, but make sure that the customers know its just your price, and that they may find other prices elsewhere.
    edited July 2017
    From the above comments the monstrous footprints in vends with higher value items is not scamming.

You are simply setting your own price for it correct?
  • scorto7scorto7 BelgiumRetired Moderator
    Pandorite said:

From the above comments the monstrous footprints in vends with higher value items is not scamming.

Actually i do consider it a form of scam...not entirely in those words... but still it fits.
    Because the ones using this trick knowingly and deliberately set up their vends to abuse others.
    Yes, part of the responsibility falls to the ones that where fooled by this. But that doesn't mean that the ones causing the problem are home free.
    They placed this footprint there and added a higher valued item on top of it and then put this high price on it knowing it will motivate others to buy the item they don't want.
    So basically they know they are not delivering what is advertised.
    They set it up fully aware that these footprint are never that high price but under the right stimulants they do use it to deceive their potential costumers into buying what the don't want to have.
  • edited July 2017
    Building on what others stated like Scorto and Ashi said it is the intention of the player. If they are using monstrous foot prints in the vend they do not have fair intentions. There is no question because if they did they would just straight sell the item without the foot prints. They are trying to get a higher profit margin, they are not selling foot prints for a marked up rate, if they were they do that in a separate vend. Using means of enticement is deception and morally wrong in this situation. Do companies do this in the real world yes but it is still wrong.

On the subject of selling multiple items in a vend I think that is fine permitted long as the items are of related value and is not using tactics like here is a 20k item for 10k but you have to buy these items that are worth 5k first. The market in CC is really straightforward, yes the values of things fluctuate but with quick research an item can be sold fairly with no smoke and mirrors needed.
  • Pandorite said:

Spiridon said:

This has been going on for a while, but yes i consider it to be a scam. Although, this can be avoided by simply just reading.

You missed the point clearly stopped reading after the first line. If you read the rest of the post you'll see the actual question.
    Well, your wording was fairly confusing for me, and i did read after the first line. If i'm not mistaken you are asking if people are free to set there price with invisible items/Footprints with other Items? Well, if thats the case, It is just know youll get alot of people calling the person a "Scammer." if this was not the point of your thread, well correct me, or don't really dosent matter.
    edited July 2017
    Pandorite said:

They are lying about which item is in the vend when they holla about "Monster Head 20k" or "Dorkmobile 2k". Lying about the items you sell and prices you sell for is not okay to do.

When I say "I sell xxx item for 150k" is not wrong, it is only if they are actually selling that item. If they say "I sell XXX item" and are actually selling YYY item, then it's not the same thing.
    edited July 2017
    So then it's the intention of the player?
    I don't believe someone who lets another player think a item say pjs is worth 1k has good intentions.

Pjs have never been 1k. I highly doubt they ever will be. It is tricking another player again the person selling is at fault for not knowing but does this excuse the malicious behavior of the buyer?

So I'll say again. When is it no longer setting your own price? When does it cross the line into the territory of scamming.

Edit: For some of you warning me or whatever. I'll note I've never been tricked by these scams. (worst that I've done is not noticed I had a invis cloak in a vend. Dropped a robe inside with a much lower price. Derp)

I'm asking the question because many people honestly believe that the footprint scam isn't actually a scam and you're just setting your own price. That it's okay somehow. Because they are free to sell footprints for any price they want. so would it be okay for someone to sell a press hat for 50k to a unwitting player? When has "your own price" become a scam.

Finally I repeat the advertised item IS being sold for the stated price. Other items in the vends seems common when people want to get rid of less popular items. Does that mean all cases of extra items in vends is scamming?
    scorto7 said:

Pandorite said:

Actually i do consider it a form of scam...not entirely in those words... but still it fits.
    Because the ones using this trick knowingly and deliberately set up their vends to abuse others.
    Yes, part of the responsibility falls to the ones that where fooled by this. But that doesn't mean that the ones causing the problem are home free.
    They placed this footprint there and added a higher valued item on top of it and then put this high price on it knowing it will motivate others to buy the item they don't want.
    So basically they know they are not delivering what is advertised.
    They set it up fully aware that these footprint are never that high price but under the right stimulants they do use it to deceive their potential costumers into buying what the don't want to have.
  • scorto7scorto7 BelgiumRetired Moderator
    Pandorite said:

Finally I repeat the advertised item IS being sold for the stated price. Other items in the vends seems common when people want to get rid of less popular items. Does that mean all cases of extra items in vends is scamming?

That example would need closer examination of the situation.
    Scammers can sometimes be described as con-artists. 1 commonality that all con-artists have is their ability to manipulate people and situation to suit their needs(with various degree's of success).
    Your example falls into this grey area where it becomes extremely hard to recognize good or bad intentions.
    That is also why i did not answer that example.

I personally would not try to traverse this borderline as you could end up being accused of a scam even if you didn't. Mixing those items together in 1 vend requires you to be absolutely certain that their value is close enough to each other.

Anyway.... as said before.... i can not answer this so easily. And i would look at it from the individual cases themselves.

edited July 2017
    scorto7 said:

Pandorite said:

That example would need closer examination of the situation.
    Scammers can sometimes be described as con-artists. 1 commonality that all con-artists have is their ability to manipulate people and situation to suit their needs(with various degree's of success).
    Your example falls into this grey area where it becomes extremely hard to recognize good or bad intentions.
    That is also why i did not answer that example.

I personally would not try to traverse this borderline as you could end up being accused of a scam even if you didn't. Mixing those items together in 1 vend requires you to be absolutely certain that their value is close enough to each other.

Anyway.... as said before.... i can not answer this so easily. And i would look at it from the individual cases themselves.

Thank you for the reply. This is what I wanted to know. So to sum it up

A extreme over/under price can be viewed as a scam.

Or only more than one item in a vend?

Edit, My example was a friend of mine buying a bunny top hat, A balloon each for 15k to buy the third item a heart balloon.

I've had people tell me they refuse to switch the items around the vend so I can buy the ones under
  • DjedoDjedo Member
    Pandorite said:

A extreme over/under price can be viewed as a scam.

Or only more than one item in a vend?

No it can't. Because currently rules are not forbidding it.
    Also there is no rule on mixing different items in one vend.

-Is it allowed? Yes!
    -Do we like it? No!

edited July 2017
    Ah, Then the footprint scam isn't really a scam. P: if neither extreme overprice or muti items is disallowed

scorto7 I feel the need to add that I'm not asking because I wish to do these things but rather stop them.

A acutely " yes this can be viewed as a scam, And result in a ban "

And I would be more then happen to direct people to the thread. Currently however people just go "LOL! it's not a scam I can charge whatever I want." As seen in examples with footprints above.
  • Pandorite said:

At no point does setting your own price become a scam. It's their item so it's their price, and your choice to buy it. If you don't do your research, your fault.
    I do agree with your opinion that there should only be allowed one item type per vend though.

• Pandorite said:

At no point does setting your own price become a scam. It's their item so it's their price, and your choice to buy it. If you don't do your research, your fault.
    I do agree with your opinion that there should only be allowed one item type per vend though.

One item per vend would for sure solve the issue. Although it isn't currently a rule
    edited July 2017
    The fact of the matter is that things like this are not disallowed because they are so easily avoidable. And its going to sound awful, but I don't think they should be disallowed.

People make mistakes and that is how they learn. If this is the kind of mistake people need to make to finally learn to read pop-ups, then I am all for them making that mistake. I'm sick of people not reading or making trades when they don't know the value of something. Be informed or don't be in the market. And especially don't blame others when you make an uninformed decision.