Noob - Newbie

PartyNextDoorPartyNextDoor Member
edited June 2017 in Community
This is my though on the newbie + noob subject: I think everyone should say newbie and not noob, because I think a lot of people think it is offensive. Others use it as a negative, people say "You stink and you are a NOOB" I think newbie would be much better because it comes from the word new (NEWbie) noob just, well noob comes from, mars. So just to keep the community a bit more mature lets say that newie, who agrees? Tell me in poll

Comments

• I agree but you can't change players' mind, a lot will insult a newbie as a "noob"... but i agree with you :3
  • PartyNextDoorPartyNextDoor Member
    edited June 2017
    No, no, I don't want to change player mind, just want to keep the mature side of the game, maybe even improving it
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Noob and Newbie have 2 different meanings.

A Newbie is a new player.

A Noob is someone who doesn't want to put the time into getting better at something.
    eg. Hinter is a parkour Noob.

So yes Noob is meant to be an negative/insult.
  • well, i usually do call new players of "noobs" when they are the "bad newbies" for example: they keep asking you cubits or will hack your acc
    but when a newbie is good, i dont call him of "noob"

Conclusion:
    Newbies = nice
    Noobs = Cancer
  • PartyNextDoorPartyNextDoor Member
    edited June 2017
    Guys it is what you believe, I'm just making a survey sort or thing about it... I need people disagreeing sometimes, it's good
  • KokopelliKokopelli WV, USAMember
    Me an a few of my friends call them Bambi's
  • gdog said:

A Noob is someone who doesn't want to put the time into getting better at something.

so im a cubic noob
  • JAXsepticeyeJAXsepticeye Member
    edited June 2017
  • Noob - An insult used in the community to describe poor, unpopular, low-level players. It is a slang for the word newbie, meaning new to something. It is also a pathetic last resort for any player who doesn't get to sell/buy an item for their desired amount.
    "Your Black Cat is only lvl 36, Noob"

Nub - A less rude version of noob. A suffix added to any player name to give a higher recognition.
  • CubitScopeCubitScope Member
    edited June 2017

Noob - An insult used in the community to describe poor, unpopular, low-level players. It is a slang for the word newbie, meaning new to something. It is also a pathetic last resort for any player who doesn't get to sell/buy an item for their desired amount.
    "Your Black Cat is only lvl 36, Noob"

Nub - A less rude version of noob. A suffix added to any player name to give a higher recognition.

"It is also a pathetic last resort for any player who doesn't get to sell/buy an item for their desired amount."

TRUUUEEEEE
    Your definition is incorrect tho.

• gdog said:

poor Hinter xD
    edited June 2017
    From urban dictionary

Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task* and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. n00bs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own. It is the latter we will study in this guide so that the reader is prepared to encounter them in the wild if needed.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Noob

So yeah Noob is meant to be an insult,/mild dig. I just think many use it without knowing the meaning and often use it when they should use newb/newbie.
  • gdog said:

From urban dictionary

Contrary to the belief of many, a noob/n00b and a newbie/newb are not the same thing. Newbs are those who are new to some task* and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage. n00bs, on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. They expect people to do the work for them and then expect to get praised about it, and make up a unique species of their own. It is the latter we will study in this guide so that the reader is prepared to encounter them in the wild if needed.

So yeah Noob is meant to be an insult,/mild dig. I just think many use it without knowing the meaning and often use it when they should use newb/newbie.

uh no offense
    but I don't really trust Urban Dictionary
    have you seen some of their results?
    look up a popular name
  • PandoritePandorite Member
    edited June 2017
    gdog said:

^ pretty much this. At least that's the way I've always used to two terms. Although sometimes it isn't a insult rather a fact.

If a player that had been in game for the last three years asked me a question like "How do I craft a cloud" to me they are in fact a noob.
    Misticall said:

gdog said:

From urban dictionary

uh no offense
    but I don't really trust Urban Dictionary
    have you seen some of their results?
    look up a popular name
    In this case it was around long before urban dictionary.