Does Cubic Castles break the Geneva Convention?

gdog gdog Retired Moderator
edited January 2017 in Off-Topic
So recently the devs of prison architect got emailed by the red cross for having red crosses on their amulances and medical staff.

I'm wondering if the nurse hat would fall into this also.

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-the-prison-architect-developers-broke-the-geneva-conventions/

The video on that page by the devs is a great watch.

It is madness either way.
I get that it shouldn't be used in non-medical situations.
I don't like a charity funded organisation wasting funds on indie games.

Thoughts?

Comments

• ValleyValley Member
    edited July 2017
    this is nonsense ouo
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    and heres another arcticle on it with some different point raised.
    http://kotaku.com/video-games-arent-allowed-to-use-the-red-cross-symbol-1791265328
  • damndamn Member
    edited January 2017
    Most likely.

The cross was used in times of war, so they wouldnt want the significance of the emblem to lose its importance, or to have it be recognized as a fun and games type of thing.
  • They should suck it up and deal with it...
  • But people DONATED money just to get it.
    So let's keep it as secretive as possible
  • Make the cross in nurse blue or cyan? That's what I think :3
  • LopaikoStyleLopaikoStyle Member
    edited January 2017
    how to donate money on game lol
  • SidddSiddd UKMember, Game Moderator
    About the most ridiculous thing I have ever read, I would understand If say, an army started wearing a red cross as they went into battle to kill, but within games? I mean come on.
  • edited January 2017
    The answer is yes, but to the answer does it matter is no. The red cross has transcended to become a fixed staple in video games, comics, and movies. The article speaks of some valid points like why is Red Cross using money donated for wasteful pursuits. I think this article needs to bring larger attention to not what the main subject is but what charities that people donate to for a good cause do with the money that is other wise trivial. For example cherry picking a single game company to bring the hammer down.

Cubic Castles is under no threat and I do not think the devs should consider changing the cross. By doing so we are submitting and saying it is ok to have everything we do policed. Video games are part art and art should be open, never confined by rules. Imagine everything you love stripped down to nothing, the books that you love burned, the video games you love burned, the movies you love burned. All because something or some symbol in them a person may not agree with and is being misused. We may not like that certain things like the red cross evolves into something else but once it has evolved past that point there is no reversing it. An example being gay no longer being synonymous with happy.
  • space_fetusspace_fetus Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    I wondered this myself as I recently built a giant hospital with a huge red cross on it. People Are ridiculous
  • YakrooYakroo Somewhere In The Milky WayMember
    I drew a red cross in my notebook, hope they dont sue me D:
  • I don't really think so,because let's look this from Red Cross perspective;they want to help people who can't afford or in war time to help everyone!And in one way we as a community helped a person and pretty much did the same job as the Red Cross,and I've seen many places in similar games like CC (Minecraft,ROBLOX,Growtopia) there are a lot of hospitals and nurse hats and if it would break the Geneva's Convention they would destroy those especially on ROBLOX where they have very very strict rules and follow everything as it's real life and not a game,so I think we are pretty fine!
  • Bluejay_1Bluejay_1 Member
    edited July 2017
    That is pretty much stupid....like we're not abusing the Red Cross. It's being used as a hat. I agree with @-greycoralking- . It's art! And yes @Sculpture i see a lot of the red crosses in tons of games.
    Edit: wow. Thx Jad just noticed it XD
  • *when no one realizes this is necro*
  • space_fetusspace_fetus Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    edited July 2017

*when no one realizes this is necro*

That moment you realise it's true :o
    Silly redeagle
  • Nice point out jad.
    Silly Red Eagle, what ya doin here karma farming
  • elemental godelemental god The netherlandsMember
    Well its necroposting..... but it has still not been answered.... and now im wondering too XD

Though i think its stupid that something like a 5 pixels big red cross are being things about..... probably every game with some sort of medic thing has a red cross on it..... i have the feeling it is pure because they hate the game or something..... also in that time that foundation has made i doubt that the rules apply to games too (since that games werent that populair yet....)
  •  gdog gdog Retired Moderator
    Ill let this continue as I think its an interesting subject (also my thread) and isn't answered.

I do think cc should change the nurse hat. Regardless of whether you agree with the red cross it is their symbol. It's not in the public domain.
    Just change it to a green cross which is in the public domain and is just as known.

"If the red cross emblem or similar signs are used for other purposes, no matter how beneficial or inconsequential they may seem, the special significance of the emblem will be diminished," the email reads. "The red cross emblem or similar designs are not general signs of ambulances, health care, first aid, the nursing or medical profession, or similar matters. Moreover, they are not signs to be used for commercial purposes, such as for advertising campaigns or on products."
  • edited July 2017
    I realized this was a necro thread before Space posted but I did not want to say anything and get in trouble for mini modding :O:. I wanted to scream NECRO POSTER! but alas Grey fears the warning hammer.

A green cross would be strange O_O! I would like a grey cross but that is just me :P.
  • QbirdQbird Member

I realized this was a necro thread before Space posted but I did not want to say anything and get in trouble for mini modding :O:. I wanted to scream NECRO POSTER! but alas Grey fears the warning hammer.

A green cross would be strange O_O! I would like a grey cross but that is just me :P.

Green cross could fit I think ...

Though why in the world isn't it allowed ...
  • zpinolzpinol MéxicoMember
    maybe only need to change the color of the cross
  • QbirdQbird Member
    ZPINOL said:

maybe only need to change the color of the cross

that's what Gdog said
  • But would they be in trouble if they were never aware of it in the first place?
  • edited July 2017
    Ignorance is not excusable in the court of law. Hence it would not pass as a defense in a lawsuit.
  • Yes but if your thinking of adding a nurses cap in a hame of course the first thing youd go with is the red plus sign. Its what every person who would want to add a nurses cap to a game they make comes up with. Sometimes things like the geneva convention are not known by many people.
  • AshiMagariAshiMagari The internet :PMember
    I think if the color gets changed, it should be pink, as most outfits I wear the nurse hat with are red and pink. Gross green crosses will wreck my style >:0
  • I think if the color gets changed, it should be pink, as most outfits I wear the nurse hat with are red and pink. Gross green crosses will wreck my style >:0

Or make it a pink heart ;0
  • I think if the color gets changed, it should be pink, as most outfits I wear the nurse hat with are red and pink. Gross green crosses will wreck my style >:0

Or a red heart or a red dot
  • my wee lil brain can't process this much info.. can anyone summarize what a geneva confection and what happened ono
  • my wee lil brain can't process this much info.. can anyone summarize what a geneva confection and what happened ono

Look let me explain this to you Jackspedicy,Geneva's Convention is a convent in a way it's a list of laws that only apply on war time,because even war has some rules;and most of countries follow this it has been changes some times (I-IV) and has 3 Protocols (I-III).
    And one law on that convent is protection of the Red Cross symbol and the Red Crescent symbol,those symbols are only used in war time to specify the medical staff,sure the Red Cross organization uses it but it has permission because it's the creator of the Red Cross symbol,and unlike most games use the Red Cross without permission of the ARC and that pretty much is illegal,because ARC protects it,but this rule it's not the applied in the virtual world such as games and is more likely applied only in the real life.

(Also ARC means American Red Cross)