Just a suggestion to stop the Karma abuse.

LiberatedLiberated Member
edited December 2016 in Suggestions & Comments
Y'know how people will just like say "hello" or "thanks" and still get the same amount of Karma as someone who literally writes a Harry Potter book each time they comment? Well, I feel this could be solved by having a certain amount of words to be written for you to get karma like, 5-10 words for the 0.05 Karma, instead of the "thanks" or "yah" someone says and gets Karma for. This just annoys me is all. I know the forums' mod's deal with certain people, but doesn't this sound like a decent suggestion/idea to implement into the forums? All it takes is like 30 seconds to write a sentence and show some effort...instead of gaining something someone can get by literally saying "yah"

Adding to this suggestion, I'm aware that some forum games designed by people have been made and meant for like 3 words or less, and to solve this, I suggest a word limit feature in that style of a forum topic/game that still allows Karma to be added to your account.

Also anybody who disagrees with me, its fine. I personally just get annoyed by this and I feel SOMETHING could be done about it.
I mean Karma is almost pointless anyways, but still, the system could be better. (I think) :P

(NOTE): If you think about it, all you have to do is PM the person in the forum topic if you really really have the urge to say "yah" or have a one word comment. lol

Comments

• -looks at this thread-
    -looks at dragon heart-

YUSSSS DO IT
    +1
  • Yah.......

Hahaha did you just see what I did there >:D! I am one of those who type Harry Potter novels and it dismays me to see those who have less literary ambition that have more karma than I simply due to the fact that they have taken the easy road.
  • OMG yes!
    I very much agree on this. Well some people need to stop spamming on threads just to earn karma... And when I say spam, it's literally bumping a thread with 1 word response that doesn't even relate to the topic. I wish people who do this will be conscious of their doings. ._.
  • We need it !!! People are spamming just for a karma... 1+
  • Yaas! +1
    We really need it. People keep spamming and spamming and spamming for no reason. Sometimes the comment doesn't even make sense. :/
  • -looks at this thread-
    -looks at dragon heart-

YUSSSS DO IT
    +1

We need this :< +1
    There's a lot of people who abuse of the way karma is obtained.And they need to stop.

And I was going to say what you did <.< @iCantiWill
    @Dragon Heart Please stop spamming ;-;

• CortanaCortana UnknownMember, Retired Moderator
    As good as it sounds, there's still a huge issue. Karma bank is one of vanilla forums plugins, so it's basically a premade feature which was tied to our forum, and I don't think it can even be implemented this way, as it would require coding a completely new karma table... At least that's what I can see from reviewing plugin info. I guess in this situation some penalty could be a better idea, eg. taking karma away from spammers.
  • edited December 2016
    In the end they would be spammimg 'Hi it's cool and nice really cool wow awesome I like it it's very cool I love it nice idea great I really love it kewl WOW hello I totally agree with this omg omg omg'...

When they reply with this in Scam Reports...

And they would quote everyone
  • In the end they would be spammimg 'Hi it's cool and nice really cool wow awesome I like it it's very cool I love it nice idea great I really love it kewl WOW hello I totally agree with this omg omg omg'...

When they reply with this in Scam Reports....

LOL! I see what you did there hahaha!
    Cortana said:

As good as it sounds, there's still a huge issue. Karma bank is one of vanilla forums plugins, so it's basically a premade feature which was tied to our forum, and I don't think it can even be implemented this way, as it would require coding a completely new karma table... At least that's what I can see from reviewing plugin info. I guess in this situation some penalty could be a better idea, eg. taking karma away from spammers.

Yes please! Maybe -0.2 karma if you spam?
  • space_fetusspace_fetus Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    yeah
  • Cortana said:

Flagging people down for it in YOUR topics would be a nice idea, so that way forum mod's could deal with it. Like go over and review it...type of deal and then decide whether or not it is just spam for Karma or not. Like i'm not saying every comment is spam related or anything, but some are clearly obvious. lol
    Also, I know almost nothing about coding, but I have seen a bit of it and it looks difficult honestly. I'm sure there is a lot of effort put into it all, but still even if nothing coding-wise could be done about this, mod's could possibly work around this in some form? :P
  • Cortana said:

I don't know the language, but in two languages I could make a bit of code that only tells it to give karma when you write more than a certain number of words.

In the end they would be spammimg 'Hi it's cool and nice really cool wow awesome I like it it's very cool I love it nice idea great I really love it kewl WOW hello I totally agree with this omg omg omg'...

When they reply with this in Scam Reports....

Bit of a dodgy idea but... What if you change it and just... Don't tell anyone.
    It wouldn't work forever, and people will always try, but not telling anyone could help.

• edited December 2016

What if you change it and just... Don't tell anyone.

Best idea! They would be spamming the forums just to get banned (and no karma)

Probably the developers would actually do this without us knowing.