The Battle of the Breakout

edited December 2016 in Community
To give you context, go read Joe's story: http://forums2.cubiccastles.com/index.php?p=/discussion/8379/a-paladins-tale-2-qball-breakout-full-story#latest

I'm not sure "how well" this meshes with Joe's vision, but I am open to collaboration.

"We are the Order of Paladins!" Sir Qbalot Knight, The Platinum Paladin, sternly lectured as he was briefing at the Clan War Room within Fort Knight. "One of our own has been captured, and is under heavy guard. We need an army, but we've been working on that. Sophie (LittleSophie14) has been working frantically to bring as many new Paladins into our Order as she can. And we are now a hundred strong! With that readiness, here is the plan."

He pointed to a detailed (albeit crudely-drawn) map of the village and the nearby prison. "The initial battle will start HERE, where we will concentrate cannons, bombs, and wands. The attack can not succeed unless we force our way through their walls."

The Platinum Paladin huffed to catch his breath, as he was talking quite a lot. "Despite our numbers, this is still going to be a heck of a fight, so our fiercest Paladins will spearhead the charge. Specifically, Dimension (Dimension Savior YT) will be leading the main Alpha attack team; he is by far our most qualified combatant. There will also be a SECONDARY force, led by myself and Joe, whose main goal is to force the enemy into division and confusion."

Joe gave a shocked glare at The Platinum Paladin. "We?!" With a smirk, The Platinum Paladin answered, "Well, if you want out, then *I* will handle the Beta team MYSELF!" Joe staggered for a second, then he regained his confidence. "All right," Joe declared, clenching his fist with passion. "I'm in."

Clearly, The Platinum Paladin was one to fight shoulder-to-shoulder with the grunts, figuratively AND literally leading by example!

"Remember: Our Primary Objective is to rescue Qball. The Secondary Objective? Crush every Son-of-a-Slyme who dares to stand in our way!" As the troops rallied and gathered their gear, The Platinum Paladin finished the speech by proudly saying, "May the Cosmic Cow salute us!"

And so, the Order marched. They traveled south of the border into No Man's Land, where the flaming deserts and thorny cacti sadistically irritated the Paladins. But it was not enough to deter their will. And it definitely did not halt the inevitable clash.

Night fell, and the howls of wild animals cried through the canyons. The Order of Paladins assembled at the corner of the prison wall, as planned. Even despite knowing of an impending attack, the defenders still proved slow to mobilize, their sleep deprivation cruelly taking a toll on the brutes. Both factions were weary from their own elements, and they both boasted large numbers. The predicted outcome was a complete coin-toss!

The Platinum Paladin stood firm atop the dune summit, pointing wand towards the wall like it were a cavalry sabre. "Ready...FIRE!" His thundering voice carried out the order, which rang louder than the salvo of high-explosive weaponry. Dozens of cannons and well over 50 Harm Wands united their fiery forces, pooling together a strength equal to an entire metric tonne of TNT!

The wall shattered, the alarms blared, and the formerly groggy guards truly picked up the pace from adrenaline alone!

Dimension cried, "FORWARD!" And in ran the main force, flailing their wands and busting through a dozen guards. At that close range, it was clear the guards more closely resembled anthropomorphic boars than Qbees. The Platinum Paladin waved behind him and towards the side, signaling the Beta Team to fall in line. He and Joe strafed and hustled around, taking the backup guards by total surprise. Drawing the reserves into the fray, it was clear none of them would be able to sit out or hide.

As the giant pigs fell, so too did a few of the newer and lesser-known Paladins. Just as the brawny villains seemed to be thinning, The Platinum Paladin bit a direct bomb hit, shoving him back and onto his rump. He roared out, holding his rib cage. Joe gasped and helped up his leader, limping along together. "Are you Okay?!" The Platinum Paladin groaned and answered, "I'll be fine, if I can pull out."

"I'd rather see you live to win a thousand battles than die to win one."

The two of them waltzed to the hills, falling back and bringing the Beta team with them. The remaining enemies were either dazed or dead, even though they had the rest of the Paladins on the ropes. Dimension flung his way into the gaping prison hole, backed up by Mr. Pud. There they knocked out the pet attack-Slymes kept by their abusive owners. Mr. Pud made a mad-dash for the prison cells, finding Qball reclaiming his confiscated wand. The two of them attempted to leave, when their main access point was blocked by a sudden Qbee-bomb. It completely blew Mr. Pud away, but he was still alive. Dimension braced to throw everything he could at this final push. He held off long enough to personally see Mr. Pud and Qball vanish into the horizon, but even Dimension's muscles ached. Alas, even the mightiest warrior needed to evacuate like his own life depended on it.

The only escapee Qball noticed was Mr. Pud. Yet the rest of the Order was in full retreat at this time. Any further fighting would mean mutually assured annihilation. Those who were not already dead were either injured and/or exhausted beyond the point where any amount of willpower could save them. In the end, the Secondary Objective failed, but Qball fled safely.

The bad news is now the Paladins have scattered all across the plains.

The Radio had yet to function, and without any means to broadcast or "holla", it was impossible to regroup. Ideally, they'd know to go back to Fort Knight, the closest thing they have to a congregation spot. Plus, the survivors all needed to figuratively lick their wounds. The Platinum Paladin set down at a humble camp established at the base of a large mesa, with the pitched tent using bleached bones for the foundation and support. He spent the night writing these documents to preserve the historical battle. Joe came up to check on him, and while The Platinum Paladin winced at the pain of his wounds, he knew he would live. Altogether, they did their job, and the Paladins had accomplished their mission...even if not all of them could've been made aware of the fact.

Still, it was truly a successful mission.

What would or could happen next? Who would make the next move? Nobody could predict...

Comments

• You wrote a ton, but when I wrote mine, I passed out not long after sending you the message.