[Idea] Player made adventures

NanoSlime_NanoSlime_ Member
edited November 2016 in Suggestions & Comments
So I saw a post on the forums, @SirKewberth asked how we could make people visit more realms, so I thought I'd finally post this, It's an idea I've had for a while.

I'm honestly in the game for the building aspect and have been since day 1.
Biggest disappointment is that fact that I'll spend forever on a build and I'll complete it... and and no one will really bother to show up.

I work incredibly hard on my builds and because they fail to offer up an item for sale or a giveaway, or if it's not an OFFICIAL realm that'll benefit exp or cubits then no one is interested.

Yes, it's still hard to share. But how do we make people visit more realms? Or have more interest in the creation's of other players?

Of course the official realms have xp and people generally play and enjoy the xp quests, but we can't simply give players the ability to generate xp themselves as this will very quickly be abused as a way to hack the level system.

I have tried some things.. best levels voting contest, realm museum etc..

I'm open to other ideas...
So my idea consists of a few new items, Quest bumper Start, Quest Bumper Finish, Quest Block, Quest Backpack and a variety of Quest Items (Small Key, Large Key, Letter, Phone, Seeds, Sword, Shield, ect. It doesn't matter really, It's just a )

The idea is that these blocks will allow users to create their own quests, I will explain each of these items functionality now.

Quest Start Bumper: The Quest Start Bumper starts the quest, allows you to name your quest and give a short introduction. It will also provide a report Quest button, when pressed it can allow the user to send a report if the quest is not possible to finish, inappropriate or is not actually a Quest, the Moderator will then be able to stop the Quest from showing up in the Quest Lobby

Quest Finish Bumper: This item ends the quest, allows for a reward to be given and can contain text to explain the end of a story / give a thank you for playing. It will also be used to rank the quest from 1-5 stars.

Guest Blocks, If a room has a quest block in it, it can be assigned to a quest you own, this means your quest can span over multiple rooms, it could also display a message to those who enter that it is a quest realm and will provide a button to teleport you to the Quest Start Bumper (you'll see why this is relevant with the next item)

Quest Backpack: This is an item that essentially provides a secondary inventory HOWEVER, this inventory cannot be used for regular items, only quest items, however this inventory will only be accessible whilst in a quest (any room with a Quest
Bumper or Block from a quest you have started), each different quest will have its own inventory. You must be within a Quest Room to access the inventory for that quest. e.g. You have played two quests, Quest 1 and Quest 2, you can only access your Quest 2 inventory whilst in Quest 2 and your Quest 1 inventory while in Quest.

These items will also not be tradable, they can be deleted but not dropped(To prevent littering with the infinite production of these items). These only serve as triggers and pass codes for the quest.

Quest item maker: This is an item that can be given to NPCs (if they ever get released), chests, and dispensers, you place one Quest Item maker inside it. Whenever someone plays your quest and comes to the item, it will give them 1 of the item and be placed in their quest inventory, this item maker can produce an infinite number of items(This isn't a problem as the item is untradable and essentially worthless), however only one per person unless the item is deleted.

This idea should allow for users to create their own quests, each quest bumper will create a doorway in a special Quest realm(Entering the doorway will spawn you on top of the bumper), The realm will show all Quests, Prioritize having Quests that haven't been played yet to be closer to the entrance, and place those with the best rankings in a special area, this will allow builds that may not get attention to get more attention and prevent realms from getting forgotten.

The problem with a realm museum is that not enough people know about it, and there isn't really a reward to doing so, this also means that some great realms may be forgotten and never end up in the Museum and The Best Levels voting contest doesn't help to get a good but unknown realm noticed.

This also gives players a reason to want to explore these builds as it means there is something to work towards, a puzzle to solve and a goal, simply showing a nice realm doesn't get the player involved.

Well I hope you like my idea, if you have any ideas of how to improve this, please say below :P

Comments

• MoxxiechuMoxxiechu Prolly some ocean (FL.)Member
    I do want to clarify that were was a little more to my response. ) If it does sound rather "complainy" well... I was trying to do it in the nicest way possible. XD

Yes it's a bummer to see the lack of abundance in players who prefer not to explorethose heavy-megabuild rooms but, it is what it is. I guess. XD

---

Now back to the topic at hand: I really like the possibility of creating our own player based quests that would actually gain a small reward to the players who can complete them.
    (The idea's are already starting to fill my head once more XD)

• I do want to clarify that were was a little more to my response. ) If it does sound rather "complainy" well... I was trying to do it in the nicest way possible. XD

Yes it's a bummer to see the lack of abundance in players who prefer not to explorethose heavy-megabuild rooms but, it is what it is. I guess. XD

---

Now back to the topic at hand: I really like the possibility of creating our own player based quests that would actually gain a small reward to the players who can complete them.
    (The idea's are already starting to fill my head once more XD)

Yeah, I think this is better than just displaying realms as it gets the users interested and means that good builds will be rewarded with the popularity they deserve and providing a way for new builders to get their creations out there.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    We've had these sorts of ideas from the beginning. The problem is the reward structure and people who are constantly looking for ways to cheat the game. This is in part why the gift dispensers were made. We thought maybe people would be more inclined to do quests if there was a prize at the end, but there's issues with that too. Players have to buy their own prizes, keep them stocked etc...
  • I like taking people hostage and forcing them to tour my realms/rooms >:D!
  • We've had these sorts of ideas from the beginning. The problem is the reward structure and people who are constantly looking for ways to cheat the game. This is in part why the gift dispensers were made. We thought maybe people would be more inclined to do quests if there was a prize at the end, but there's issues with that too. Players have to buy their own prizes, keep them stocked etc...

Would people not play them for fun though? Isn't playing them for story and interactivity the purpose of playing any game?
  • space_fetusspace_fetus Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    im all about these ideas, since i mainly just build adventure maps, i wish player interest wasnt so much about the latest cosmetic items.
  • oooo this looks awesome @_@
    It would definitely be a motivator for some people to play ovo
  • im all about these ideas, since i mainly just build adventure maps, i wish player interest wasnt so much about the latest cosmetic items.

I thought about you a lot while writing this.

oooo this looks awesome @_@

:D I was hoping this would motivate people.

im all about these ideas, since i mainly just build adventure maps, i wish player interest wasnt so much about the latest cosmetic items.

yeah its much appreciated, i really want to push the boat out when it comes to making adventure maps. would be interesting to see something added to make adventure maps easier to find because a lot of people dont even know about them. Maybe a tab on the sky map so you can search by adventure realms? also i dont know if this works, but the race blocks, it would be cool to put the start at the beginning of an adventure map and the end block at the end, even if thats 100 rooms away and players be able to do time trials on the adventure map, just an idea.
  • im all about these ideas, since i mainly just build adventure maps, i wish player interest wasnt so much about the latest cosmetic items.

yeah its much appreciated, i really want to push the boat out when it comes to making adventure maps. would be interesting to see something added to make adventure maps easier to find because a lot of people dont even know about them. Maybe a tab on the sky map so you can search by adventure realms? also i dont know if this works, but the race blocks, it would be cool to put the start at the beginning of an adventure map and the end block at the end, even if thats 100 rooms away and players be able to do time trials on the adventure map, just an idea.
    I was supposed to add the time thing, But I forgot, thanks Dude!
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer

Would people not play them for fun though? Isn't playing them for story and interactivity the purpose of playing any game?

Many people will especially if the realm is recommended and they have some assurance the time spent will pay off with good puzzles/story/fun, but there is a set of players who, without xp or something at the end, are not inclined to try. I think there's definitely still some things we could do though that would make it better. These threads have given me some ideas for later.

• Would people not play them for fun though? Isn't playing them for story and interactivity the purpose of playing any game?

Many people will especially if the realm is recommended and they have some assurance the time spent will pay off with good puzzles/story/fun, but there is a set of players who, without xp or something at the end, are not inclined to try. I think there's definitely still some things we could do though that would make it better. These threads have given me some ideas for later.
    Maybe the top rated ones could become official quests if the owner gives permission to do so?
    That way people are then inclined to do the quests.
    Or if it has an ultra high rating you guys could put new official rewards into the Quest end bumper for that single quest.

Maybe the top rated ones could become official quests if the owner gives permission to do so?
    That way people are then inclined to do the quests.
    Or if it has an ultra high rating you guys could put new official rewards into the Quest end bumper for that single quest.
    Thats something i would totally be up for, i would love to create adventure maps that were featured somewhere as 'official' or work with developers to add a special quest complete item such as the redwood forest cap. Even offering maps up as potential future quest pack maps.