Reminding (Helping) our Forum Users.

Athena ShyAthena Shy In TheTimMan's arms! Member
edited June 2016 in Suggestions & Comments
Reminding our fellow Forum User the Rules should not be a warn-able offense. That is in no way or form "Moderating" in my opinion. It is helping, caring, and watching out for both our fellow users and the Forums.

There is very little we can do that players can not
-Siddd (More moderators.)

The moderators are just players just like you, who generously have agreed to devote some of their time to helping people, and to improving the game overall.
-Horus (Notes about Mods and Admins)

Leave moderation to the forum staff.
Helping people is one thing, but constant arguments about who is right and who is wrong are not needed. "Mini-Modding" or any similar behaviour will be treated as a violation of our forum rules.

-Horus (Forum Rules)

From reading this alone, I am pulling, that the "The moderators are just players just like you" that "There is very little we" (the moderators) "can do that players can not". That "Helping people is one thing" keyword here HELPING. Which simply reminding a user is HELPING.

I know Mini-Modding is one thing, but I really don't consider reminding someone a rule is mini-modding.

Comments

• BJDwareBJDware Down underMember, Retired Moderator
    Reminding users that the forums rules exist is a part of a moderators job.
    That is precisely what warnings are for. They are private, official and not publicly declared.

Now, users reminding fellow users of rules may be in the best intentions at most times, but it doesn't always pan out in the right direction. Various incidents can and will eventually occur. Participants can be offended, lead to arguments and even topic derailment. We have seen it in the past.

Lets take a look at this following topic as an example,
    http://forums2.cubiccastles.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/37911/#Comment_37911

Not every instance of users "reminding" fellow users have resulted in a warning, in most cases they are left alone or removed by moderators.
    But there has been some instances where it has warranted a warning due to extensive "reminders", and/or individuals have been offended by poor word choice, and/or it has incited an argument, and/or users have been bullied/teased/degraded in regards. Etc.

Not everything is in black and white. Shades of gray exist.