Opinion from community...

SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
So I have an idea to maybe do something but I'm not sure.

My idea is to go over some of the older items and create improved versions of them and just patch them as we update the game. When the game first came out the camera was locked to an isometric view. And many of the items were designed to never be viewed from the sides at all and so they don't look good in arbitrary 3d (from the side, etc..)

The idea would be to take some items, especially those that don't look good from certain angles and just make improved versions of them and patch them into the game as we update.

So on the surface it seems like an easy decision.. why not make the game look nicer?

My hesitation is that despite them looking wonky, maybe people have grown attached to the way things look now warts and all? I would try to make them look the same, but they wouldn't be identical, so is that a problem?

I know some people will say.. just make new versions and keep the old, but this isn't a good solution because the game is already pushing the limits of texture space used for the devices we support so just adding a ton of new items arbitrarily isn't really a good way to go.

So what do you guys think of this?

Comments

• Yes :O Texture updates, in my opinion, will be good just like other games "Character remodeling". There are some hats that look incomplete when you look at their sides, for example is the Leprechaun Hats.
  • I agree with this idea, but maybe you can save the old textures for players who are comfortable with the old look
  • UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    I think this is a good idea
  • I agree with this idea, would be nice to see some old blocks/wearables be revamped a bit
  • CubicCubic Member
    Agreed, the halo is completely invisible from the side lol
  • Kn1ght4nd3r50nKn1ght4nd3r50n Member, Game Moderator
    I agree, it's a nice idea.
  • good idea 👍
  • Maybe for some of them, you can hide 3d models under the old 2d stacked textures, like, for example, putting something inside the fur hat but keeping the old thing on top of it so that people who view it from the top still see the old texture.

Also, could we perhaps see an example of the new models so we have an idea of what would be replacing them?
  • Yeah you should definitely do that. It always bothered me that the top of the anvil always floated lol.
  • +1, and also maybe doing something with the beehive (if it wasnt on the list already), since the stacked circles are very odd when you move your camera.
    what other blocks/wearables or whatnot would need to be changed?
  • YES. 10000 times, yes! The style of the game has felt so wonky and inconsistent lately!
    From an artist's perspective I definitely think this decision would be a huge improvement.
  • WhimsicalFireflyWhimsicalFirefly Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    I think it's a great idea to go back and freshen things up. It will give the game a more polished, current look.
  • Farts Of FuryFarts Of Fury Member
    edited March 2022
    Can we see previews of the blocks before implemented into the game via the forums or your youtube

Edit: Had the idea to be able to switch from new graphics and old graphics in the menu settings. This way we can have both old and new that can be switched between.
  • Great idea!
    Tho, hoping the items won’t be radically changed since the builds would become absolutely different. But an improved version of an item could never be bad.
  • +1, and also maybe doing something with the beehive (if it wasnt on the list already), since the stacked circles are very odd when you move your camera.
    what other blocks/wearables or whatnot would need to be changed?

Bushes
  • +1 its great idea
  • +1. Polishing the game is important, a game is meant to be improved on. Existing foundations could use some refreshing with a new coat of paint.
  • update
  • Daresx11Daresx11 Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    It is a great idea!
  • Please dont touch the scythe its alr good enuf xd
  • +1
  • Ofc its good idea to give old stuff second life.But it is also important to do that correctly so their price wont change a lot.Its obviously after some items updated their price will change, some not much and some crazy.So it is important to think abt that too.
  • Js Peep said:

Ofc its good idea to give old stuff second life.But it is also important to do that correctly so their price wont change a lot.Its obviously after some items updated their price will change, some not much and some crazy.So it is important to think abt that too.

How would someone ‘do it correctly’ to not make the price change?
  • CubicCubic Member
    edited March 2022
    Js Peep said:

Ofc its good idea to give old stuff second life.But it is also important to do that correctly so their price wont change a lot.Its obviously after some items updated their price will change, some not much and some crazy.So it is important to think abt that too.

Seeing as they are improving the items I would think none of them would drop and they would only stay the same/rise, but hopefully they don’t make them look worse
  • People would still buy them even if they became ugly because everyone would want a "rare" item.
  • +1
  • CubicCubic Member
    MEEPYZ said:

People would still buy them even if they became ugly because everyone would want a "rare" item.

True the Krampus ain’t exactly pretty
  • If CC is nearing the capacity of new items for lower-end devices, maybe delete duplicate items like Fall Leaves which copy Autumn Leaves, and give the basic balloons the same model.
    (Just a few items I could think of with duplicate or extra unnecessary models or textures.)
  • I say yes but will there ever be first person view?
This discussion has been closed.