Changes in cubit prizes given during building competitions

AnguishireAnguishire Member
edited October 2021 in Suggestions & Comments

I'll just get straight to the point. I personally think the prizes given out during the seasonal building competitions (christmas, sci-fi, easter etc.) are way too high. The realms/rooms you build in are 33x33(or even smaller if its a plot), you have a lot of time to build(relative to the realm size) and the theme is handed to you yet you still get 500k if you win 1st place. Not only that, but the competitions don't happen that rarely(every 1-3 months? something like that). Lets compare this to end of year (best realms of the year) where you get 150k per category which, by the way, is the same amount of cubits you'd get if you placed 3rd in any given seasonal comp. The prize is actually fine, because you can win in multiple categories so it encourages you to go for that. Problem is, in order to get 500k(same as 1 seasonal comp., 1st place), you need to win in 3 whole categories (which gets you 450k, still 50k off) and that's definitely not easy to do even for experienced builders. Sure, lets assume you get 2nd place, that's still 300k which equates to winning in 2 categories. It just doesn't add up to me to be honest. I'd like the prizes to be reduced because as it stands, the best realms of the year competition is extremely underwhelming.

If the prizes are reduced drastically, it might encourage players to pay more attention to best realms of the year which would then have the higher prize. There is no given theme, so you'd need to think of one, plan it and build it. The year long time limit can lead to some really impressive results, and in my opinion that's how you can get players to improve at building.

Edit : Contrary to what I said above, I would bump up the prize of 1st place in best realms of the year slightly. Maybe from 150k to 200k.

Comments

• UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    In my opinion they are too low. With 500k you can only buy 1/6 of a ram.. or 1/3 of an easter umbrella. 500k isn't what it used to be. If these competitions were being hosted 4 or 5 years ago I would agree the prizes are too high, but in this age 500k is essentially nothing.
  • U said:

In my opinion they are too low. With 500k you can only buy 1/6 of a ram.. or 1/3 of an easter umbrella. 500k isn't what it used to be. If these competitions were being hosted 4 or 5 years ago I would agree the prizes are too high, but in this age 500k is essentially nothing.

Well, it's still a lot for most of the players tho.
  • Alvin! said:

U said:

Well, it's still a lot for most of the players tho.
    Nope 500k is way too less
  • HONEY BOMBHONEY BOMB Member
    edited January 2023
  • U said:

Sure, this is your opinion but I don't understand why you're using rams or super-rares as a metric. I don't think it should get you either because that would be ridiculous if it did, right? I mean think about it, those super-rares are supposed to be harder to get, otherwise they wouldn't be named that. Assuming the people who win these competitions have at least some interest in building, meaning they plan to keep building even after the competition, wouldn't it only be fair for us to see how many building materials 500k can get them? I'll use the prices provided in CJ prices for this, and calculate using the highest price (so if its range of 1-3c each I'll use the 3).

(each 1 of these is 500k, not the whole thing combined)

- 2 million palm trunks ( 4/c, so 0.25 each)
    - Just under 167k marble (of any color) (3c each)
    - 333 haunted chests (1.5k each)
    - Just over 33k emeralds or diamonds (15c each)
    - 10k rubies (50c each)
    - 1.5million boulders OR 1.5 million oil (3/c, so 0.333... each)
    - 5k bookshelves (100c each)
    - 625 gargoyle statues (800c each)
    - Just over 3.3k yule longs (150c each)
    - 10k crimson bricks (50c each)

You get the idea. Of course people wouldn't spend all their 500k on just 1 item, but if you mix and match you can still get impressive numbers. Maybe 500k can't get you a ram or an easter umbrella, but I really don't think it has to in order for it to be a good prize.
  • U said:

Sure, this is your opinion but I don't understand why you're using rams or super-rares as a metric. I don't think it should get you either because that would be ridiculous if it did, right? I mean think about it, those super-rares are supposed to be harder to get, otherwise they wouldn't be named that. Assuming the people who win these competitions have at least some interest in building, meaning they plan to keep building even after the competition, wouldn't it only be fair for us to see how many building materials 500k can get them? I'll use the prices provided in CJ prices for this, and calculate using the highest price (so if its range of 1-3c each I'll use the 3).

(each 1 of these is 500k, not the whole thing combined)

- 2 million palm trunks ( 4/c, so 0.25 each)
    - Just under 167k marble (of any color) (3c each)
    - 333 haunted chests (1.5k each)
    - Just over 33k emeralds or diamonds (15c each)
    - 10k rubies (50c each)
    - 1.5million boulders OR 1.5 million oil (3/c, so 0.333... each)
    - 5k bookshelves (100c each)
    - 625 gargoyle statues (800c each)
    - Just over 3.3k yule longs (150c each)
    - 10k crimson bricks (50c each)

You get the idea. Of course people wouldn't spend all their 500k on just 1 item, but if you mix and match you can still get impressive numbers. Maybe 500k can't get you a ram or an easter umbrella, but I really don't think it has to in order for it to be a good prize.
    I agree with Anguishire at this point.
  • In my opinion the prize is way too high, building a small room or even a small plot in just 2 weeks can get you 500k (100€) wich would take way more time in other methods.
  • HONEY BOMBHONEY BOMB Member
    edited January 2023
  • AnguishireAnguishire Member
    edited October 2021

I stand that best realms is nomination , not a competition . And I don't see reason to lower the prize of building contest since It's suppose to be competive , and the prizes turn people into competitive .

If it was a nomination then you wouldn't be able to enter yourself and would have to have someone enter your builds because THEY think it deserves to win. That's not the case, so its a competition.

I understand it makes people competitive, but 500k is just insane. I explained what it can get you. Do you think it makes sense for a competition hosted every 1-3 months in a 33x33 or smaller realm/room to have half a million cubits as prize money for 1st place? Said it before but I'll say it again, getting 500k in best realms of the year is winning in 3 categories(with 50k short) and you pretty much cannot win 1st place in any category with a 33x33 realm unless its god tier. Just measure it by effort, imagine you making 3 really good 55x55s (not even 77x77 or 99x99) over the course of an entire year and still getting 50k less than someone who threw a single 33x33 or smaller together. You simply cannot tell me they put more effort and thought in that 1 build than your 3.

Competitions don't have to just be competitive, they should also be realistic and make sense. How does 2-3 weeks to build in a small realm for half a million cubits make any sense?

• What about we have 250k prize for building competition and the other 250k goes to a writing competition :’(
  • Cubic said:

What about we have 250k prize for building competition and the other 250k goes to a writing competition :’(

Writing or art :(
  • WhimsicalFireflyWhimsicalFirefly Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    MEEPYZ said:

Cubic said:

What about we have 250k prize for building competition and the other 250k goes to a writing competition :’(

Writing or art :(
    There's an art contest going on right now with big prizes through the Community Discord server
    https://forums2.cubiccastles.com/index.php?p=/discussion/32379/fall-art-contest-2021-cubic-castles-community

I've heard that the writing contests were stopped due to lack of interest and because it's unfair to people that don't speak English as a first language. Not sure if that is true though. Maybe we could try one through the Discord server since we have the ability to provide good prizes as well.