Trying to make music with harmony

edited April 2021 in Help Requests
I need some help with something I've been trying to figure out for ages. I want to make a music piece with note blocks like in BlackSonatta's Musical Dimension Project, but for two players: first one plays the melody, second one plays the harmony. But for this to work I need to make sure that they start at the exact same moment and have the same velocity, as in they need to have both the same speed and the same direction.

One way to go about it is to let the players move by keeping a direction pressed, like BlackSonatta does it. But then there's a lot that they both have to do just right. Firstly, they must both be facing exactly forward, so they must have never turned the camera since entering the realm (or somehow make it perfectly aligned to the grid - is that possible?). Secondly, they must remember to keep the forward direction pressed since before they begin (a block is released in front of each at the same time) and the construction must be such that they can synchronise again when the direction changes (make it coincide with a break in the music and put another vanishing block there), at which point they have to do it again. Thirdly, they must both have speed demon turned off (or at least have speed demon on the same level). Obviously, there's a lot that can fail here.

All these problems are resolved if you have something else moving the players instead (wind machine (phantom-foamed), horizontal acceloring, omniwind machine, currents). But accelorings are too fast and noisy, whereas currents and (omni)wind machines are too slow.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Not something you can do, but if SirKewb made spudbogs be able to use not blocks it would work great (as far as im aware they cant right now) or he could make a special music block using mob that wolks at a qbee's speed
  • You could have a sort of wireless system set up, so that when 2 players are both standing at the "starting gates" of the song, pink blocks turn off and let the players into the song. As long as both players keep moving forward, which they probably would, it should be fairly aligned (which is easier on mobile to stay walking straight).

To do a turn, have another wireless starting gate facing the new direction, and both players will keep walking forwards at the gate until they're synchronized.

You can always have a sign up before the start telling people to turn off speed demon and to move forwards at all times, and when approaching pink blocks. People who want to enjoy a good song will follow the rules.

That's just my ideas - I haven't actually tested so you will have to experiment yourself - but I hope that helps a little!
  • You could have a sort of wireless system set up, so that when 2 players are both standing at the "starting gates" of the song, pink blocks turn off and let the players into the song. As long as both players keep moving forward, which they probably would, it should be fairly aligned (which is easier on mobile to stay walking straight).

To do a turn, have another wireless starting gate facing the new direction, and both players will keep walking forwards at the gate until they're synchronized.

You can always have a sign up before the start telling people to turn off speed demon and to move forwards at all times, and when approaching pink blocks. People who want to enjoy a good song will follow the rules.

That's just my ideas - I haven't actually tested so you will have to experiment yourself - but I hope that helps a little!

Actually, no, this doesn't help at all. You just repeated what I've already said in my first post. Please post your own ideas, don't just repeat mine.
  • I think he means, use the switch blocks, and have them turn off at the same time so that the players both start moving forward at the same time. You could also get the thing for the start of a race, and put a start pistol, and some starter scaffolds.

Actually, no, this doesn't help at all. You just repeated what I've already said in my first post. Please post your own ideas, don't just repeat mine.
    I don't understand? I never repeated anything you said, I posted my own ideas. You never said anything about using wireless blocks to make the starting point. That's what I suggested.

I think he means, use the switch blocks, and have them turn off at the same time so that the players both start moving forward at the same time. You could also get the thing for the start of a race, and put a start pistol, and some starter scaffolds.

Exactly, thank you! And I never thought about the race startup!
  • Okay, I'm sorry, looking back I guess it's my fault since I didn't that very clearly. I just felt frustrated because I was already doing that, and this forum has a history of people posting without reading what I wrote >.>

You could also get the thing for the start of a race, and put a start pistol, and some starter scaffolds.

I might look into this, thanks!