Printer Pack

edited February 2021 in Suggestions & Comments
I would really love to see this in the game.
The printer pack would consist of:
- 1 printer
- 1 copier
- 100 paper (we already have this in game, just including it with the pack)
- 100 bottles of black dye (for "ink", keep reading)

The printer/copier should have 4 slots, 3 with the standard forge/extractor/distiller UI, where paper or a book goes on top and the ink (black dye) goes on bottom, but also a custom text box for the text on each page of paper. It could output books or unbinded papers, for the latter you might be able to craft it with leather for a book.

The copier would just take the books/unbinded papers and then copy them, with ink as the "fuel" and more paper in another separate slot. I think it should have the "crafting... *time* left to go!" text message for the crafting process, not unlike the stove/cut-o-matic.

Why would this be useful? Well, for one, the book has the same storage capacity as the sign, even though it requires 3 "paper", and each piece of "paper" visually has multiple papers in it. Another thing is that you could hold the book in your inventory and maybe click your character to read it. That would be really great for puzzle adventure maps and guides for new players. You would also be able to print out books as guides for specific qbees that asked for a custom-made book or guide.

I believe that the printer/copier could be craftable if they were ever implemented, but that would kind of ruin the point of buying it from the store. Given that you couldn't craft it, the price should be around 200-500 cubits, to make sure that the average qbee could get it.

From a technical perspective, I don't know how to code, but I think given about how cool the new perk tree was and the fact that many of the pieces to the puzzle are already in place, this may be reasonable to code? As I said, I don't know how to code, so please correct me if I am wrong. It does require quite a few new additions, like the addition of a couple textures, the textbox for pages, and the UI for printers/copiers. However, looking at how absolutely amazing the previous fishing update and the aforementioned perk tree were, I really hope that this is within feasibility of development.

Any comments or criticism are welcome!

Comments