Blocks should have bottom texture

Watching blocks from below annoys me a little

Comments

• I agree. Even if the bottom of blocks weren't textured, just single color, it would be a big improvement.
  • You can't ever see the bottom of a block?
  • Crimzo said:

You can't ever see the bottom of a block?

Nope since the unlocked camera was a "hidden" feature at first, and not meant to fully be part of the game. Reminds me when the camera stopped before we can even see under the blocks. :P
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    In the early early days Cubic was always intended to be an isometric game with a similar viewpoint to early zelda games and with a camera locked to a certain range of view. Everything looked "good" from that angle. But as time went on people found the camera annoying and so it was given a lot more range. Betamax was against this because he didn't like that many of the models and so on were not designed to be viewed from below or from the side. This is why had to "defy betamax!" to unlock the camera. I think we could certainly make an argument now that the models in the game should be given a 2nd pass to make them friendly from all views. However friendly from all views also means heavier and with more polygons etc... and that can limit the ability of lower end devices to draw them fast. So then you start thinking about level of details on the models being variable. Low detail for far and low end devices, higher detail for close and better devices. Like one couldn't argue that there's any reason a new PC with a high end video card shouldn't have nice rounded corners and fully detailed models with pbr textures etc... But the reality underneath all of this is that it would take a ton of work to actually DO it. So maybe over time we could start to make a 2nd high def model set as a start? I'm not sure... It's a project I always thought we might do in the future.
  • In the early early days Cubic was always intended to be an isometric game with a similar viewpoint to early zelda games and with a camera locked to a certain range of view. Everything looked "good" from that angle. But as time went on people found the camera annoying and so it was given a lot more range. Betamax was against this because he didn't like that many of the models and so on were not designed to be viewed from below or from the side. This is why had to "defy betamax!" to unlock the camera. I think we could certainly make an argument now that the models in the game should be given a 2nd pass to make them friendly from all views. However friendly from all views also means heavier and with more polygons etc... and that can limit the ability of lower end devices to draw them fast. So then you start thinking about level of details on the models being variable. Low detail for far and low end devices, higher detail for close and better devices. Like one couldn't argue that there's any reason a new PC with a high end video card shouldn't have nice rounded corners and fully detailed models with pbr textures etc... But the reality underneath all of this is that it would take a ton of work to actually DO it. So maybe over time we could start to make a 2nd high def model set as a start? I'm not sure... It's a project I always thought we might do in the future.

Maybe for low-end devices, they can have an option to not have the bottom texture loaded