some sort of player information - preventing identity scams

007Awesome007007Awesome007 Member
edited January 2021 in Suggestions & Comments
Someone with an account name almost identical to mine used my identity to scam another player. This is the third instance I know of in the past 2 months of a fake 007Awesome007. This is the first scammer.

To hopefully avoid people from being scammed because of me in the future... here are a few already suggested, and a new idea to help players to validate others' identity:

1. Username history (recently suggested here - click this)
Possibly a command "/usernames [player name]" that gives the player's 5 past usernames. Players would still be able to circumvent this by changing their username multiple times. But that's expensive.

Edit: An alternative for this is
Maybe the command only tells you if the player has changed their username recently. e.g. "/username 007Awesome007" would respond "007Awesome007 has not recently changed their username." or if I had changed, "007Awesome007 has changed their username 10 days ago." - more privacy for the player, and it might still be useful in some situations.

2. A command to see account creation date
For example, "/player 007Awesome007" would say in chat "007Awesome007's account was created on xx January 20xx"
In my opinion this is the simplest idea that would help. It would give the player more information on the scammer and make a decision on whether to trust them or not. Most scammers create a new account to scam people. - well, idk... I'm just guessing they didn't create the account 2+ years ago.

3. Player cards (suggested here - click this)
I saw this when it was first posted and thought it is a very fancy suggestion. It could include the above information on the player as well. It could replace the existing friend system too.

Ultimately it is up to the player to trust or not trust the scammer. These suggestions will give more information on the potential scammer.

constructive criticism and feedback on these suggestions is welcome c:
and putting these suggestions into the game is even more welcome.

Comments

• I find this unbearable to impersonate someone for farudulous activities...

1. Still a no for me, as said in the concerned thread.
    2. I like this one. Despite being perhaps not 100% trustworthy (some people could totally rename themselves while their account is 3 years old) this is a simple yet effective way to point out impersonators.
    3. Thanks for the link. <3

It reminds me of RedEagle back when he was active. I hope at least one of these gets added. :)

2. I like this one. Despite being perhaps not 100% trustworthy (some people could totally rename themselves while their account is 3 years old) this is a simple yet effective way to point out impersonators.

It reminds me of RedEagle back when he was active. I hope at least one of these gets added. :)</p>

Maybe the command only tells you if the player has changed their username recently. e.g. "/username 007Awesome007" would respond "007Awesome007 has not recently changed their username." or if I had changed, "007Awesome007 has changed their username 10 days ago." - more privacy for the player, and it might still be useful in some situations.
  • I think implementing any one of these ideas would be good. Player impersonation is hard to deal with, and sometimes ppl don’t trust me when i come or them with my alt and tell them who i am.
  • i am larrysi am larrys Member
    edited January 2021
    Yes any of these should be added it's hard to find which is the real alt and yes I am larrys who got scammed by fake 007awesome007 ;( (Or it was only you Using VPN to get my c :0? )

It reminds me of RedEagle back when he was active. I hope at least one of these gets added. :)</p>

+1 for this.