Art is underpaid for, and unappreciated in this community (Semi-vent)

AshibugAshibug Member
edited June 2020 in Art
I didn't want to make a thread like this until I got into an argument over it and was called greedy. Why isn't it recognized that art is a luxury item? Why do you think my work is worth 2000 cubits, the equivalent to two-four USD? Do you realize how insulting that is? I'm not about to work 2-3 hours for two dollars. (EDIT: when I mentioned the price I usually make with selling commissions, I don't say it to say that's how much I should make here. I say it to give people a deeper understanding on how much of a difference it really is. No I'm not asking for 20 USD for Qbee art, (since it's fairly simple) but I'm hoping that by bringing awareness to this, people can understand why 2,000 is much smaller than what it may seem like. I hope this makes a difference for anyone reading this)

It's bad enough that we can't advertise art here for real money, but it's even worse if you think my art, that sells for 20+ USD should be worth so much less than it's actually worth.

This is exactly why I lose motivation in doing art. It's constantly unappreciated how much art is actually worth. It's more disappointing in this community, knowing that the age demographic is well over 15+ in some cases.

I'd love to hear good arguments as to why art shouldn't be worth more than it is in this community. I get some people love to work for that price, but why am I "greedy" for wanting to work for more?

If you call an artist greedy, don't request art from anyone.

Comments

• Join honey's art contest , 15k is pretty worth it
  • Join honey's art contest , 15k is pretty worth it

Thank you for this, I'll definitely look into it. I really hope people begin to realize that art is worth well more than a tapjoy offer.
  • MEEPYZMEEPYZ Member
    Don't like how much the community pays, then go sell it on some art website, and if you want Cubits, then use the money you sold it on that website, to buy cubits
  • MEEPYZ said:

Don't like how much the community pays, then go sell it on some art website, and if you want Cubits, then use the money you sold it on that website, to buy cubits

I shouldn't need to do that though. That's my issue. People seriously think it's greedy to want more than 2,000 cubits for your work. You are exactly apart of the problem.
  • MEEPYZMEEPYZ Member
    Ashibug said:

MEEPYZ said:

I shouldn't need to do that though. That's my issue. People seriously think it's greedy to want more than 2,000 cubits for your work. You are exactly apart of the problem.
    It depends on how the art looks, and if you want to be paid more for your art, then tell them this is the price if they want to pay that, then they could then pay for it, or not pay.
  • MEEPYZ said:

Ashibug said:

MEEPYZ said:

It depends on how the art looks, and if you want to be paid more for your art, then tell them this is the price if they want to pay that, then they could then pay for it, or not pay.
    I do agree that it depends on how the art looks, and I do understand that setting a price will allow people who want to pay for it.. to pay for it.. but my point here is I shouldn't be called greedy for wanting people to pay more than 2,000 cubits for my work.. I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
  • I see your comments in discord , the art contest is in forums :) go player's events & creations section
  • WhimsicalFireflyWhimsicalFirefly Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    I think what you have to remember is just like anything else people pay for in game or even in the real world, you can set your price to whatever you want to, it's up to the buyer to decide if that is what he wants to or can afford to pay. If people want to pay for it, they will, if they don't they can just move on to another artist that will sell for what they want to spend. It's not any more greedy than it is for Nike to charge over $150 for a pair of shoes that I can get for a lot less if I go to a different brand or store. Nike doesn't have to change their prices for me but I can say their shoes are overpriced in my opinion.
    If you can sell your art for $20+ somewhere, I'd just stick to that and not worry about drawing qbees for cubits.
  • I think what you have to remember is just like anything else people pay for in game or even in the real world, you can set your price to whatever you want to, it's up to the buyer to decide if that is what he wants to or can afford to pay. If people want to pay for it, they will, if they don't they can just move on to another artist that will sell for what they want to spend. It's not any more greedy than it is for Nike to charge over $150 for a pair of shoes that I can get for a lot less if I go to a different brand or store. Nike doesn't have to change their prices for me but I can say their shoes are overpriced in my opinion.
    If you can sell your art for $20+ somewhere, I'd just stick to that and not worry about drawing qbees for cubits.

That's true, I just want to put my art out into another community. You're 100% right though. I'll play around with some prices.
    I just literally could not believe what I was being told in that moment.

This community has some great art, and really talented people. I just hope those talented people are feeling satisfied with what they get in return for putting their art out there.
  • In the end, it's personal choice. There will be people willing to pay and people unwilling. I do agree on one point; you shouldn't call others greedy due to high prices or haggling. No one makes you buy the art or draw the art.

But if you get money selling it on other sites, I recommend you go there. Your art is really good. Many people draw for enjoyment here, and extra cubits can be a bonus.
  • HONEY BOMBHONEY BOMB Member
    edited June 2020
    I agree with you , art isn't cheap stuff
  • TacticalthTacticalth Member
    edited June 2020
    Okay I might've been dumb lol, I didn't mean to call you greedy, it's the fact that I can't explain something properly because i don't know alot of english. Yeah, sorry for it. No need to make an entire thread lol.

Plus, I didn't request for a commission, i just said that i have an art contest running (jeez i should stop) and if you wanted to take part. If you didn't wanna, no biggie
  • I do agree art is quite underpaid here, but not really under appreciated. Not everyone buy cubits in this game so they tend to underestimate the art value, comparing it with the cubits they have. Wether on forums or any other place, there will be people who won't value your art the way you do. But if you're only aiming for experience and the fun, I daresay you wont even care how much it would cost (not saying you should make free/cheap draws, seriously you can get overwhelmed)
  • IronFish said:

I do agree art is quite underpaid here, but not really under appreciated. Not everyone buy cubits in this game so they tend to underestimate the art value, comparing it with the cubits they have. Wether on forums or any other place, there will be people who won't value your art the way you do. But if you're only aiming for experience and the fun, I daresay you wont even care how much it would cost (not saying you should make free/cheap draws, seriously you can get overwhelmed)

I agree 100%, you're right. Underappreciated is a bit of a reach.
  • PlayerPlayer Member
    it's a small community with a small target audience to advertise your art to, you could never expect someone to pay 20 pounds for some art with a little community like this.
  • i dont do commissions anymore sometimes they dont even pay. Lol i just join dev groups in roblox and get 100+ r$ a drawing which is better lol since getting robux is hard.
  • Aura CatAura Cat Member
    edited August 2020
    r / c h o o s i n g b e g g a r s
    i think thats what its called lol
This discussion has been closed.