Book recommendations and other stuff

MidnightStormMidnightStorm Member
edited May 2020 in Off-Topic
I've devoured the last of my books and the library is still closed. Let us recommend each other books and authors to read after quarantine.

Just list your favourite books and authors, or request a recommendation based on the books you've liked. Include notes on books with explicit or potentially triggering content, perhaps? (I'm not sure if it's necessary, but as a precaution)
  • Anything by J.R.R. Tolkien or Christopher Tolkien. From the Children of Hurin to the Lord of the Rings. Bloody brilliant. (high fantasy)
  • The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny (alternate universe fantasy/sci-fi)
  • The Kingslayer Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss (realism fantasy)
  • A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin (realism fantasy)
  • Animal Farm by George Orwell (allegory, written like a fairytale)
    It's also worthwhile to list these. Not my favourites, per se, but fun books or past favourites.
  • Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (satire, historical fiction)
  • Warrior Cat books by Erin Hunter (fantasy, children. On a side note, these were my absolute favourites when I was in grade 2-4)
  • Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini (high fantasy, fantasy realism. Not very original or breathtaking, but a great adventure nonetheless)
  • Bartimaeus Sequence by Jonathan Stroud (low fantasy, comedy. Also something I loved when I was younger. Still a fun read today)
  • The Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix (high fantasy, alternate universe almost, YA)
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (historical fiction. Also rather too sad and dark and real for me.)
Disclaimer: some of these books may be suited for slightly older readers (but frankly, it depends on the individual IMO) or have mentions of discrimination or violence.

Comments

• Waw you read Garth Nix's Old Kingdom Series! I only read Clariel...then I couldn't find anymore of it at my place.

I'll probably start one of his other series, The Keys to the Kingdom, after another book I'm reading...
  • both of v.e schwab's adult series (shades of magic and villains) are pretty good, though villains has some triggering content in it and personally shades of magic feels more ya to me.

if you want purely ya recommendations, six of crows by leigh bardugo and the winner's trilogy by marie rutkoski would probably be the ones I'd recommend.
  • Other than Tolkien's books, these are some of my reading list ^^
    • Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (I like this as much as I like Tolkien's books)
    • The Familiars series by Adam Jay Epstein and Andrew Jacobson
    • The Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis (I mostly prefer "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" and "The Horse and His Boy" in this series, the rest are quite meh imo)
    • Redwall Series by Brian Jaques (generally considered as children's books, but the violence can become intense)
    • Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan
    • The Year of Shadows by Claire Legrand
    I have to write most of them by series since theres too many in each lol
  • HONEY BOMBHONEY BOMB Member
    edited January 4
  • Nuuu! The poll is gone! Ah well, forums are prettier though.

Bomp.
  • These were some of my favorites growing up.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Sci-fi.
    Howl's Moving Castle series by Dianna Wynne Jones. High fantasy?
    The Chrestomanci Quartet series by Dianna Wynne Jones. High fantasy.
    Hatching Magic by Ann Downer. Fantasy in the modern day.