Rework on the age rule for mods

Hi there, hope everyone is doing well.
Recently, I've heard that a really active mod has retired and the game is now in the hands of one or two active-ish mods and retired/inactive mods.
Which makes me wonder isn't this a good time to change the required age for mods?
I know that it's hard to find a 15 or 16 yo mature player, but they exist and you just have to look for them.
Ever since I started the game, I've been suggesting this, 17 yo players are usually in high school and don't have the time to play, the same goes for 18 yo college students.
What do you think?
@SirKewberth

Comments

• Lmon666Lmon666 Member
    There is a good reason it’s 17+. Sometimes all of the grief from moderating damages your mental mind and has a bad impact on young people.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    There are many issues when choosing mods, but the age limit has never been an issue. In fact 17 is probably too young on average.
  • There are many issues when choosing mods, but the age limit has never been an issue. In fact 17 is probably too young on average .

Hey, I see where you're coming from, but judging from experience the reason why mods retire nowadays is that they just get so busy, imagine having a job, being in university and moderating the community, it just gets overwhelming, which is why I suggested picking younger people, they're not as busy as older players.
    Maybe if you don't really want to lower the age limit, just maybe consider for once adding different mods with different timezones.
  • Well finding a mature person who can handle al this stress, while doing work, and beign intrested in this game aimed at kids (even tough it requires lots of work) is a difficult job.
  • Azsimuth said:

Well finding a mature person who can handle al this stress, while doing work, and beign intrested in this game aimed at kids (even tough it requires lots of work) is a difficult job.

• UU Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    I agree some younger people are mature enough to be modded.
  • U said:

I honesty agree
  • U said:

I honesty agree
    As long as they take the position seriusly, and can determine rigth from wrong, almost any age is acceptable in my opinion.
  • WhimsicalFireflyWhimsicalFirefly Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    The grief, pressure and expectations people put on the mods is too much for most teenagers to handle. There is a maturity level that you have to have in a job like that or it will crush you, some days it's exhausting. Mods have to not only be able to take harassment but respond in a way that doesn't make the situation worse. I'm a very calm person and don't get angry or upset easily but even for me it was hard to deal with some days. Mods are always "on the job" when they are in game. Having to answer questions, take scam reports, help people with problems, whatever comes up. You can't just ignore people because you want to play, if you do, they get angry and the harassment begins.

The admins have a big responsibility in choosing the mods. They can't take the risk of putting someone that thinks they can handle it into a situation where they end up in a bad way emotionally.
  •   Ed  Ed Game Moderator
    Being one of the younger mods I want to say that all the situations you will be placed in will do no good for your mental health. While I'd rather see the age requirement increased I feel like under the right guidance we could have more young mods but I'm totally against anything under 17. I'm also sure there will be more mods eventually but in terms of nationality and timezones... well that's tricky cause it's never about finding the right person to be online at a certain time but rather finding the right person in general.
  • Yeah, I disagree completely. The mental mind state of teenagers isn't developed enough to handle what mods go through. I've seen mods go from being so happy to being completely drained and eventually retire.

If younger mods were selected, it definitely needs to be 17+. Maybe make it even 21+.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    I'm just going to close this. It's an internal decision and there's a lot of info that is private to really understand.
This discussion has been closed.