Game is dying... Not so sure this update fixes that

AshiMagariAshiMagari The internet :PMember
Who's ready for the rant?? No one? GOOD! HERE IT IS:

So there has been a lot of talk of CC dying, and old players leaving or not enough new players joining to continue the game... etc.
And I don't know if this new crafting and/or removal of important items from the cubit store was an attempt to force players back to the game or not. If it was, I am pretty sure it's failing, and might even be detrimental.

For me personally, the biggest thing that keeps me coming back to CC is building. I like to be able to log on with a crazy build idea and be able to immediately get to work on it. I have depended on the convenience of items like warp anchors and fadey foam in the cubit store. Except, these were recently removed from said store.

And I understand that the goal of this might be to force players to spend more time grinding and crafting in order to get to the building part. But for me, that convenience was pretty much the driving force for my builds. When things became too hard to obtain, I stopped building, and months long hiatuses usually followed.

AND I'M TALKING ABOUT ACTUAL EASE OF ATTAINMENT, NOT JUST LACKING CUBITS.
That's the key point I am trying to make here. It is and always has been more convenient for me to buy items directly from the cubit store, instead of trying to hunt down players who have the items in stock. It is a waste of time that, in my opinion, should be spent building and USING warp anchors and fadey foam/phantom foam, to have to track down these items from players instead.

And I can't speak for every player, but if the choice is A) Spend hours gathering materials and crafting items that were previously available at 3-5 clicks of a mouse in order to spend countless hours working your creative mind and/or search your friendlist and maybe every player you can find online or B) Switch to another sandbox game where you can do the same but faster, take a guess at which choice sounds better.

Don't get me wrong, I still think CC is a great game. But I don't know how many players would be willing to stick around through multiple thoughtless decisions that only end up aggravating and inconveniencing them.

Comments

• and more one discussion for asking if game is dying , rlly ?
  • AshiMagariAshiMagari The internet :PMember

and more one discussion for asking if game is dying , rlly ?

I am not questioning whether or not the game is dying. I am questioning at this point whether or not the devs want it to.
  • I'm gonna start posting this image on all of these useless threads.

• Ashi had some good points in her thread and I feel like you two are too quick to dismiss it. And I agree that a lot of the devs’ decisions can be aggravating. One such decision was the sentry crafting which currently requires a fossil which is extremely expensive/rare. I know they’re in the process of changing it but they only realised their mistake after complaints were made.

On the other hand, I am extremely grateful for new content that doesn’t center around buying a new pack or item. We’ve had far too many of these in the past and the current new crafting update and the deep forest update are welcomed by everyone.
  • I really like the idea of making most things craftable but I think core items like check points should be kept. I think this is going to add a difficulty curb to newer players.
  • I really like the idea of making most things craftable but I think core items like check points should be kept. I think this is going to add a difficulty curb to newer players.

Too late!
  • lucaaa795lucaaa795 Potatoe's worldMember

I really like the idea of making most things craftable but I think core items like check points should be kept. I think this is going to add a difficulty curb to newer players.

Too late!
    Not really. Developers can still add stuff as checkpoints in store again.
  • Add more quests!
    Currency
    Hats in hat pack
    Pvp materials
    More!

Add what the community likes as long as it makes it fun and helping in the community and economy
    *bows*
  • LateCom said:

buffing the amount of crushed artifacts you get might solve the problems for the sentry part, but i think healwand should be made craftable too as getting them from the store seems quite costly too.
    as for the other aforementioned items said above, its all up to the devs to fix the problems, the more registered complaints, the more the reason why they would have to do it, take the luvbug as an example.

They could have planned it ahead and overlooked what would happened. It seems like they rushed the update.
  • LateCom said:

buffing the amount of crushed artifacts you get might solve the problems for the sentry part, but i think healwand should be made craftable too as getting them from the store seems quite costly too.
    as for the other aforementioned items said above, its all up to the devs to fix the problems, the more registered complaints, the more the reason why they would have to do it, take the luvbug as an example.

They could have planned it ahead and overlooked what would happened. It seems like they rushed the update.
    And who’s fault is that? The devs, or the players who quite literally Begged for the recipes to come fast?
  • LateCom said:

And who’s fault is that? The devs, or the players who quite literally Begged for the recipes to come fast?
    Both.
  • MotivationMotivation Member
    edited July 2018
    Please delete. I accidentally double posted due to lag.
  • SirKewberthSirKewberth EdenForum Administrator, Forum Moderator, Game Developer
    We didn't rush anything. Seems maybe the artifact dust is a little unbalanced and cave arts are rarer than we thought. It's not that easy to judge those things. We will balance that a little by providing more dust per extraction as was suggested. Keep in mind that almost everything mineable has got nearly zero value in game because it becomes easily available over time. Cave arts have been around for a long time and pets detect them now as well. So it seems there's not enough of them squirreled away, and we'll adjust. But also keep in mind that players are judging value based on pricing before. There's no way to change the crafting/availability of items without rebalancing the value. If we make changes the economy will re-balance. If we allowed no rebalancing and wanted to keep everything 100% stable then we wouldn't be able to make changes which would be worse for players in the long run.
  • SidddSiddd UKMember, Game Moderator

We didn't rush anything. Seems maybe the artifact dust is a little unbalanced and cave arts are rarer than we thought. It's not that easy to judge those things. We will balance that a little by providing more dust per extraction as was suggested. Keep in mind that almost everything mineable has got nearly zero value in game because it becomes easily available over time. Cave arts have been around for a long time and pets detect them now as well. So it seems there's not enough of them squirreled away, and we'll adjust. But also keep in mind that players are judging value based on pricing before. There's no way to change the crafting/availability of items without rebalancing the value. If we make changes the economy will re-balance. If we allowed no rebalancing and wanted to keep everything 100% stable then we wouldn't be able to make changes which would be worse for players in the long run.

In all the years I have been playing I have only ever found 1 cave art (and it was the most common one) That was years ago when they first came out and you could see them in the water in tropical mines. I don't think pets will ever find them, since you have to be so close it's basically negligible. This level of extreme rarity is fine of course, until you added them into a crafting recipe. Cave arts are common now but if people start melting them down then within a few months they will be back to super duper rare again.
  • AshiMagariAshiMagari The internet :PMember
    edited July 2018
    My biggest issue with this update is that items that were previously considered realm basics (essentials in nearly every realm), are now way too difficult to obtain. How many people have dozens of heal wands stored away to craft into life blocks, and later into warp anchors?? How many people are willing to spend 2k in the store to craft one warp anchor??
    If something is considered essential, it should not be almost impossible to obtain. (And yes I know that you can buy from other players, but eventually those other players are going to run out and stop selling them for 50c. They'll then become something closer in cost to the heal wand, which is a bit out of reach for new players.)
  • b3achyb3achy Member
    Siddd said:

In all the years I have been playing I have only ever found 1 cave art (and it was the most common one) That was years ago when they first came out and you could see them in the water in tropical mines. I don't think pets will ever find them, since you have to be so close it's basically negligible. This level of extreme rarity is fine of course, until you added them into a crafting recipe. Cave arts are common now but if people start melting them down then within a few months they will be back to super duper rare again.
    ^^^ So much this!! THANK YOU!!! I'm still trying to collect pieces as I want to collect them and not buy them. I've found 6 cubes in a year of playing (with most of my playing being mining). Personally the pets don't help that much to find them, and actually the way the pets work is a little backwards, IMO...but that is a discussion for another thread. I had to chuckle in other threads where people were saying the artifact sell for 200c-500c as I've never seen them for less than 700c and often as much as 1200c (I think I sold my one duplicate artifact for 800c). So, IMO, they are already extremely rare.

Per the OP comment, I think you really mean that the problem is trying to find the items in other players' stores takes too much of your time (and I definitely agree). So maybe the real problem (as I mentioned in SirK's thread) is that we don't have a good way of finding available products for sale in game. Jumping from shop to shop to market to market (even known ones) is a time waster when all their vends are empty because they were raided as soon as they were restocked. (I have 10-20 trusted/known shops that I regularly visit for pricing, and many of them are empty a majority of the time). Maybe improving the in-game economy first would be smarter to do before trying to remove items from the store under the guise of trying to 'help the economy'. There needs to be a quicker way to search and find a list of vends stocked with the items we need with their prices. Then players could jump to the shop that has what they need easily. It would make the marketing more competitive as people would quickly know what others are charging for the same items. A way to do an in-game active search of full vends with their items, prices, with a jump button to the realm/room (if it's public) would be optimal. That way people could still sell in vends and have their shops visited, but there would be global awareness, so the economy in game would be more unified. Might even reduce the holla spam...
  • CD87CD87 Member
    edited July 2018
    Just noticed this change a few days ago, and now I understand how annoying it is to not be able to buy one or two checkpoints to complete my parkours since I always install them lastly.

Another point to be added to this thread is that there could be a shortage of these, which is a killing blow to many on-going projects. The recipe seems easy, but they do consume a lot of materials (Spring and stainless steel block uses lots of iron), which might result in not many players crafting them. Thus, the prices of these items might increase rapidly. It may even exceed the old store's price and limit even more the possibility of building in the game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the idea of crafting those blocks (It's a blessing for free players), but the removal of them from the store might overwhelm the positive side.
  • Daresx11Daresx11 Member, Forum Moderator, Game Moderator
    I have much time playing cubic castles, and I don't see this update so bad because there are many players who could not get the blocks of stores by economic issues, but there are also people who prefer to buy blocks of shops.
    If I think that the game needs a balance between these two types of players, the possibility of creating them and buy them in the shops for a balanced price.
  • 'Grill''Grill' Member
    edited July 2018

My biggest issue with this update is that items that were previously considered realm basics (essentials in nearly every realm), are now way too difficult to obtain. How many people have dozens of heal wands stored away to craft into life blocks, and later into warp anchors?? How many people are willing to spend 2k in the store to craft one warp anchor??
    If something is considered essential, it should not be almost impossible to obtain. (And yes I know that you can buy from other players, but eventually those other players are going to run out and stop selling them for 50c. They'll then become something closer in cost to the heal wand, which is a bit out of reach for new players.)

sir kewberth. there is a glitch how to get alot of fizzled wands. ill explain it now:

simply i tried to make alot of heal blocks and pressed craft max then in the crafting table
    a heal wand ( another one) poped up it had 1 power. fizzled wands are about 10c. so i actually tried to do that again with just 1 block 1 gizmo and the heal wand.
    then i got the heal block i made + the 1 energy heal wand.people started spamming these
    so they could get fizzled wands after shooting all of the wands they glitched.
    Please fix that.

• Yeah totally agree Ashi.
  • ZerikZerik Member
    Game is already died rip
  • Zerik said:

Game is already died rip

each time i hear that, i want to punch someone...
    like seriously THE GAME IS NOT DYING (600-1k players per day)
    there are other games that have only 100 players online per day and people complain? nope.
    criticism isn't bad, and it is needed to help developers do the right thing, but saying the game is dying does not help at all, it gives the game a bad image.
  • Zerik said:

Game is already died rip

The game only died in Your heart
    Piratax10 said:

Zerik said:

Game is already died rip

each time i hear that, i want to punch someone...
    like seriously THE GAME IS NOT DYING (600-1k players per day)
    there are other games that have only 100 players online per day and people complain? nope.
    criticism isn't bad, and it is needed to help developers do the right thing, but saying the game is dying does not help at all, it gives the game a bad image.
    Exactly, people get bored and want to blame the game
  • JuIiusJuIius Member
    edited July 2018

My idea for solving this is: make pets able to detect from like 10 blocks away, on all sides, at max level for it? Maybe you could also have an option for turning it off, if you are not searching, and are in a realm with it. Then you would not have to change the recipe, if the blocks became less rare? I don't know if this would work or not.
    @SirKewberth
  • I don't believe Ashi's thread was directed at the idea the game is dying, instead the prime focus is to criticise the choices made by the developers. Debates on the status of the game would be best suited in another thread.
  • b3achyb3achy Member
    edited July 2018

My idea for solving this is: make pets able to detect from like 10 blocks away, on all sides, at max level for it? Maybe you could also have an option for turning it off, if you are not searching, and are in a realm with it. Then you would not have to change the recipe, if the blocks became less rare? I don't know if this would work or not.
    @SirKewberth
    LOL...currently the way pets detect is somewhat inverted and not really all that useful, IMO. The higher the level the pet the farther away you can detect the artifact....HOWEVER, you now have MORE blocks to mine through to try to find the artifact, so the higher the level your pet is actually makes it harder to find the actual artifact once you get the indicator that one exists 'nearby'.

So, at 1 block away, you have to be close, but you only have to dig in a 2x2x1 (if you are above/on top) or 2x2x2 (if you happened to be under it) area to find the artifact. That's up to ~4-8 blocks before you find it.

At 2 blocks away, you have to dig a 4x4x2 - 4x4x4 area...so up to ~32-64 blocks to excavate before you find it. If you approach it from one side...you should be able to reduce this by half...(which would work for the following as well).

At 3 blocks away, you have to dig a 6x6x3 - 6x6x6 area...so up to ~108 - 216 blocks to excavate before finding the artifact.

At 5 blocks away (if increased), you will detect in a 10x10x5 - 10x10x10 area...now, you have to dig through ~500 - 1000 blocks to find the one artifact.

If you increase detection to 10 blocks, you then are needing to excavate a 20x20x10 - 20x20x20 area...so, now you are up to excavating ~4000-8000 blocks just to get to the artifact. So, not sure increasing the detection range to 10 is really going to help (it will likely frustrate you further...as you will know there is an artifact out there, but are you willing to mine that many blocks to find it?).

While increasing detection range helps you to know there is an artifact from further away, the current indicator doesn't help you to determine if you are getting closer to the artifact when you start digging for it as it is just an on/off indicator. The farther away to detect an artifact, the more blocks you need to mine to get to it. It's a bit of trade off with the current binary detection system. I'm sure there are some smart mining processes/techniques for narrowing in on the artifact even at the further distances, but that's for another discussion.
  • JuIiusJuIius Member
    edited July 2018
    As of now, (At least what I think) is like 3 blocks away max?
    And with how are the artifacts are...